Almost a G&L owner.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 am

Hi all. The name here is Roger and I am tying to get a G&L but I am faced with a dilemma at the moment. I hope to get some advice here as I have never owned a G&L before. I have picked up my second one a few days ago from GC...I know. It is the only place that has a large number of used instruments to try. The first was an ASAT tribute. I took it back because of multiple problems. (you have 30 days)

Now to the one that is really breaking my heart. It is most likely, at least, a 94 Legacy. The general look of the guitar is almost like new. I've had it a few days and have been trying to set it to the specification that I got from here. There is fret buzzing and I can not get it out. There is relief in the neck but not quite to specs. The Truss does work though. My main concern though is that someone has completely rounded out the grub screw for the micro tilt. Not usable. Is this repairable?

I have 600 into this guitar at the moment but I can give it back to them. They will do nothing to fix it or the two high frets I found.
I really like this guitar but I'm not sure what the guitar is worth. I would have to pay someone to fix all this. I'm not incapable of setting it up but I would be leery of tackling the screw or frets.

Opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If I keep the guitar, I will post pics and register it.

Re: Almost a G&L owner.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:41 am

Roger_15 wrote:Hi all. The name here is Roger and I am tying to get a G&L but I am faced with a dilemma at the moment. I hope to get some advice here as I have never owned a G&L before. I have picked up my second one a few days ago from GC...I know. It is the only place that has a large number of used instruments to try. The first was an ASAT tribute. I took it back because of multiple problems. (you have 30 days)

Now to the one that is really breaking my heart. It is most likely, at least, a 94 Legacy. The general look of the guitar is almost like new. I've had it a few days and have been trying to set it to the specification that I got from here. There is fret buzzing and I can not get it out. There is relief in the neck but not quite to specs. The Truss does work though. My main concern though is that someone has completely rounded out the grub screw for the micro tilt. Not usable. Is this repairable?

I have 600 into this guitar at the moment but I can give it back to them. They will do nothing to fix it or the two high frets I found.
I really like this guitar but I'm not sure what the guitar is worth. I would have to pay someone to fix all this. I'm not incapable of setting it up but I would be leery of tackling the screw or frets.

Opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If I keep the guitar, I will post pics and register it.

Welcome! :wave:
As a starting point, use these setup instructions for this guitar due to build year: Album: Owner's Manual, Version 2.
If you find some high frets, you might seek out a luthier who can do maintenance on the frets.

Contact Chris Robosan (G&L Customer Service) and ask about the micro-tilt screw. He might be able to locate a replacement if needed.
See G&L's Support page for his contact information.

Also, check the G&L Knowledgebase, too.

See this post for help in determining values: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:34 am

The micro tilt could be easy to fix as long as you can find a direct replacement for the set screw and have enough of the old one showing to get a grip with pliers. I'm guessing the screw was an off-the-shelf item, so it shouldn't be hard to find one. If you check the neck pocket, you'll see right away whether there are threads showing that you could get a grip on. If there aren't, it could still probably removed with a drill press and a screw extractor.

Which frets are buzzing? If they are up around the 20th to 22nd you may be dealing with "ski-jump", which is caused by improper use of the micro-tilt. If that's happened, you'd be looking at putting more money into the repair than the guitar is worth.

IMO, $600 is at the lower end of the typical price range for a '90s Legacy in good condition. The upper end of the range isn't too much higher. If this one isn't repairable or needs to go back, you should be able to find another one around that price (or maybe $50-$100 higher) without much looking or waiting. If you do return it, please register it first and list the problems in the comment section. You don't need to own the guitar to register it - just check the "I don't own this guitar" box. That may save a prospective buyer from a bad deal. I have returned two used G&Ls to GC due to truss rod problems, and both have gone right back up for sale at the original price.

Ken

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:36 am

Welcome Roger. Unfortunately most GC's do not set up their used guitars unless they are unplayable. My advice would be to let an in house tech at the guitar center fix the issues including the replacement of the micro tilt screw. I am not talking about a salesman looking down the neck and adjusting it. I see them do that all the time. Most of the GC's here actually have an in house tech. I would bring it back and watch the tech fix it unless you are sure of your own abilities on this. If you are not sure of your ability to fix this I would either let them fix it or return it. We can help you but you would need to post a few photos so we can wee what you dealing with. Sounds like a nice guitar and hope you get the issues resolved. -- Darwin

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks to all for your help. This place has been a lot of help to me

KenC wrote:Which frets are buzzing? If they are up around the 20th to 22nd you may be dealing with "ski-jump", which is caused by improper use of the micro-tilt. If that's happened, you'd be looking at putting more money into the repair than the guitar is worth
Ken

Thanks Ken. I had decided to keep the guitar until I gave this statement some deeper thought. Yes and you
might be on to something here. I put a long straight edge on the neck and there does seem to be a slight up slid. The last
fret is the highest but the second to the last is high to the last three (short SE). In other words, it rocks some when the
SE is put across the last three. Could you comment on this further? :cry:

Thanks again to all.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Never mind, I took the guitar back and I'm sick about it. :cry:

Thanks guys. Just too many things.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Roger_15 wrote:Never mind, I took the guitar back and I'm sick about it. :cry:

My Legacy went back to GC because of an undisclosed truss rod problem. I actually had a manager ask me whether I had changed the strings by myself, and then try to convince me that I had damaged the neck because of it. I've never been back to that particular store (Cincinnati OH) since.

If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a USA Legacy in great condition within the next week or two. If you can pay $50-$100 more, you could probably find one tonight or tomorrow. I wouldn't rule out other Strat-type G&L models either, unless you are set on the Legacy's pickups. I found an '82 mahogany S-500 at another GC for about $100 more than the Legacy had cost, and have been happy with that guitar ever since.

To answer your question about ski-jump, it happens when the neck is torqued down hard after the micro-tilt has been adjusted. That puts significant pressure on the back of the neck right at the 22nd fret. The fact that the micro-tilt screw on that Legacy was stripped out suggests that somebody used it without understanding the procedure.

Ken

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 am

KenC wrote:
Roger_15 wrote:Never mind, I took the guitar back and I'm sick about it. :cry:

My Legacy went back to GC because of an undisclosed truss rod problem. I actually had a manager ask me whether I had changed the strings by myself, and then try to convince me that I had damaged the neck because of it. I've never been back to that particular store (Cincinnati OH) since.

If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a USA Legacy in great condition within the next week or two. If you can pay $50-$100 more, you could probably find one tonight or tomorrow. I wouldn't rule out other Strat-type G&L models either, unless you are set on the Legacy's pickups. I found an '82 mahogany S-500 at another GC for about $100 more than the Legacy had cost, and have been happy with that guitar ever since.

To answer your question about ski-jump, it happens when the neck is torqued down hard after the micro-tilt has been adjusted. That puts significant pressure on the back of the neck right at the 22nd fret. The fact that the micro-tilt screw on that Legacy was stripped out suggests that somebody used it without understanding the procedure.

Ken

Thanks, Ken, I am not stuck on any style guitar. I need something that is versatile and a workhorse. This will be for recording and writing. I have a 78 Guild X-175 that I bought in 79 used while I was at Berklee in Boston. But this guitar is limited for what I want to do.

Still looking but not much in G&L around here (MA). Five GCs and two G&Ls. lol

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Roger_15 wrote:Thanks, Ken, I am not stuck on any style guitar. I need something that is versatile and a workhorse. This will be for recording and writing. I have a 78 Guild X-175 that I bought in 79 used while I was at Berklee in Boston. But this guitar is limited for what I want to do.

Still looking but not much in G&L around here (MA). Five GCs and two G&Ls. lol

Try a national search on their website. I've abstained from looking since Christmas, but there are usually several pages of used G&Ls on their site. If anything is wrong with one you buy long-distance (or you just don't like it), the local store has to accept it for a refund.

Ken

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:17 am

Roger,

Welcome and I'm sorry about your heartbreak. I'm not goint to bash GC just because it's not cool, but man do I hear a disproportionate amount of things about their technical guitar skills in a less than positive light.

I'm sorry that guy got jacked up. I own a '94 Legacy Special and it has been my favorite guitar for over 10 years. I'm afraid that due to human nature, you're going to find many older G&L's on the market have been "upgraded" by the owner. Meaning somebody gutted an awesome guitar and replaced the pups with something more name brand they had seen in a magazine somewhere. So, you know what to look for now. If you find an ad that states, "I removed those MFD things and replaced them with real Fender Lace pickups", just run away.

Hunting down a great deal on a G&L is half the fun. Craigslist, eBay, and the like are all great sources, along with the Marketplace on this board. You can always jump on here and ask advice from the many of us who think we know something. If we don't know the answer, we'll just make something up. It's entertaining at least.

Have some fun today,

Zippy