New G&L Owner.... excellent guitar!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi all!

Just got my first G&L, a 2012 Legacy. What a fantastic instrument! At first (maybe some here experienced this,) I was hugely disappointed by the tone; I had done an online trade, and my G&L sounded NOTHING like a Strat.

Then, I turned the tone knobs.

Holy Cow! I can get any sound-- SRV, EJ, Yngwie, anything. So versatile!

Previously, I never used my Strats tone knobs, just kept everything on 10. But the G&L's tone controls are so interactive, it's like having multiple instruments.

Anyhow, wanted to say hi to everyone! My favorite players are Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane, David Gilmour, Yngwie Malmsteen and Ty Tabor. I kind of sound like a blend of them all, only less talented. :)

Looking forward to meeting folks here and getting to know more about G&L. I am a regular over at the GearPage, and love talking gear and music.

I'm gonna go pop on over to another forum to post a question about setting up string height and trem stuff (I HAVE actually searched the threads already, but have a very specific question)....

:)

Re: New G&L Owner.... excellent guitar!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Welcome Speedy, if you are looking for any information on set up for a G&L just ask. This forum has a tremendous amount of knowledge on G&L's and most of us are extremely familiar with Fenders. You will not get better advice anywhere! -- Darwin

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Welcome Speedy! ~Patrick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Off to make a quick post!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 pm

you don't want another forum to answer your g&l setup questions. the df is a rather different animal than fender trems.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

louis cyfer wrote:you don't want another forum to answer your g&l setup questions. the df is a rather different animal than fender trems.

He posted in the Tech Tips sub-forum.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 pm

you don't want another forum to answer your g&l setup questions. the df is a rather different animal than fender trems.

Oops! I mis-spoke. I meant that I was going to make a new post, in a different sub-forum in this website.

Yeah, I don't wanna go over to the Grosh forum or something to figure out how to set-up my G&L!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Welcome! :wave:

Please do read this post as it will help you navigate our site and explain how to post photos (hint, hint): Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

Welcome,
And be aware that we here, rarely stay with only one G&L !

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

I hear Strat even in a Comanche when other people say it is its own beast. These guitars are not that different that they are unrecognizable as variations of a concept. A single coil in the neck position has a general sound that can be duplicated in just about any body style of guitar though. There are many subtle flavors of ice cream but they are all ice cream. Sometimes it comes down to realizing you are looking for a very specific flavor and not just ice cream.

Superiv,

I wish you would use a picture of your S-500 Deluxe prototype for your avatar. That work of art needs to be seen and heard. I also wish people would post more of their playing like Louis.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Done for the profile picture...
for the playing, you'll have to wait :mrgreen:

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:37 pm

supereiv wrote:Welcome,
And be aware that we here, rarely stay with only one G&L !

:happy0065:

...And Welcome!!! :banana: