Hello

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Hello all

I have recently returned to guitar playing after a 30 year break and while my brain can remember a fair amount from way back, unfortunately my fingers do not. My wife says I sound like a cat stuck in a razor wire fence!! :shock:

At the moment I do not own a G&L and use a PRS SE Tremonti (which I like alot). Because my PRS is pretty full-on with its twin HBs I started looking at strats for my more mellow bluesy moments. However, at the price range I'm looking at I have read alot of reviews which have been pretty mixed about Fender's recent strats and some have mentioned G&L. I started researching G&L and have come across plenty of reviews of different models, and they are almost exclusively positive. So, going on what I have seen on titnterweb I have decided I just have to have a Tribute S-500. I'm planning to buy one in the next few weeks once I get a couple of points clear in my head. You can expect some pretty dumb questions in my next few posts - you have been warned!! :crazy:

Thanks for reading

regards
Derek

Re: Hello

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi Derek,

Welcome to G&LDP. I'm sure you'll love the S-500.

Ken

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:00 pm

lol, welcome.

My wife says I sound great.

Aside from impeccable taste (she married me) she is also a terrible liar :P

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Derek,

I have an ASAT Cat, which is a special G&L build for (and available exclusively through) a guitar shop in the town where I live. Here's the web site for them: [url]asatcat.com[/url] .

What makes it like an S-500 is a middle pickup and the switching that allows for seven pickup combinations. I have an S-500 that I got a couple of years ago, and I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon, but my ASAT Cat gives me the best of both worlds. When I want it to, it has a warmer tone (that maintains an outstanding clarity); alternatively, the tone control can be set to get the well-known Strat (or in my case, S-550) sound. I was compelled to weigh in when I read the phrase "mellow bluesy moments."

I can think of only two possible downsides: first it's built as part of G&L's USA line, which means it's more pricey than a Tribute model; and second, I don't know what the shipping cost might be.

Having said all that, I'll also say that I have no doubt you'd be happy with a Tribute S-500. G&L has something for everyone.

Finally, I'm sure that the folks on this board will be happy to answer any and all questions you have.

Cheers and Welcome,
TBill