Another Newbie

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:19 am

I play acoustic rhythm guitar (Taylor 714CE) and looking into buying an electric guitar. More than likely, I would still use the electric for rhythm; not sure I would ever get to point of actually taking leads. Just think it would be cool to have a different sound other than an acoustic. A musician friend suggested G&L, so here I am. I tried out a Tribute Series, ASAT Classic Semi-hollow Bluesboy in a local shop and loved the sound...exactly what I had in mind. However, my left hand did not like the medium jumbo frets. Thinking Vintage frets would work better for me. Would it be better to buy a Tribute series and then re-fret or do a custom American? If the later, should I go with a particular neck profile or stick with #1?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Another Newbie

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 pm

I too moved from acoustic playing to more elecric playing with G&L.

I really liked the full and flat profile of acoustics so I ordered my G&L with that in mind, I ordered a number 1 neck that has the 12' radius and I went with the standard frets as well.

#2 has a rounder profile I think so there is that, tributes are 9.5" when it comes to radius if I remember correctly so you could ask yourself f you want it rounder or flatter.

oh, and if you get a chance really look at ordering a USA model, it's worth it and you can get what you want out of it.

Re: Another Newbie

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for the responses. Music shop where I live does not have much of a selection to try out. Pretty sure I want Vintage frets and I would prefer an American in lieu of re-fretting a Tribute. Just a little nervous about ordering/buying a guitar I can't play before spending that much money. Quote I got for the American is more than twice the price of the Tribute.

Thanks again.