Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi All,

I have lurked in the shadows long enough and took the time to sign up today. I've enjoyed the information I have found on the site and wanted to take the time to say hello and register a few of my G&Ls.

I have a white 84 or 85 Rampage that I ordered in late 84... took it six months to get here!
I have an ASAT special deluxe for 5 years now... I love it
I recently purchased an ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition still on the "honeymoon" but will most likely be my favorite.

I recently found a couple of previous posts that I was interested in. Is it bad form to reply to older posts?

Looking forward to learning more from everyone.

Re: Newbie

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Welcome dguitarman,

To answer your question, rather frequently some old thread gets rejuvenated. So don't hold back if you think your question/information has some relevance to the thread. If not, just start a new Subject.

- Jos

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Welcome! If you've looked around, you probably know that all guitars require photographic proof of existence - especially that Rampage! :lol: Most of those mid-80s white finishes are looking really nice and buttery these days...

As Jos mentioned, please feel free to re-open old threads. Sometimes they get even more activity the second or third time around!

Ken

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Welcome dguitarman,

To answer your question, rather frequently some old thread gets rejuvenated. So don't hold back if you think your question/information has some relevance to the thread. If not, just start a new Subject.

- Jos

+1

Please check this post, as it has details about our site and info on posting photos and videos: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:01 am

Here are some pics of my guitars. My first G&L I purchased almost 30 years ago (scary). As most of you can probably testify to they are some of the nicest guitars for the $$.

Rampage - I am looking to find out more information on this one in terms of history (first year of production). I think I ordered it in late 84 maybe 85 and at the time it was only available in black, yellow and red. At least that was what the glossy G&L brochure indicated. They had some other model, SuperHawk I believe, that were offered in white and I liked that color. The dealer had to call to see if I could get it in the white. Mine has not turned that buttery yellow yet except in places on the headstock sides and back. Of course I still have all the original paperwork that came with it.

Likes about this one is probably the neck. It is fast and feels great. The ebony fret board is smooth as butter. I rarely play it though and most likely will be going up for sale in the next few weeks.
84 or 85 White Rampage
Rampage Headstock

ASAT Special Deluxe - This one has been my favorite for a long time. Mahogany body and neck. Not a Tele sound but a darker more modern sound but very versatile. I love the neck pickup for some sweet blues tone.
ASAT Special Deluxe

ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition - I've had this one less than a month, but it has the best tone and resonates better than any guitar that I have owned. That Western Sweet Pine is very nice indeed and the finish is gorgeous. ASAT Classic Alnico Launch
Alnico Launch #2

-Thanks

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I put your pics inline, whule preserving the aspect ratio. You can still click the pics for larger versions. Nice guitars!

dtheguitarman wrote:Here are some pics of my guitars. My first G&L I purchased almost 30 years ago (scary). As most of you can probably testify to they are some of the nicest guitars for the $$.

Rampage - I am looking to find out more information on this one in terms of history (first year of production). I think I ordered it in late 84 maybe 85 and at the time it was only available in black, yellow and red. At least that was what the glossy G&L brochure indicated. They had some other model, SuperHawk I believe, that were offered in white and I liked that color. The dealer had to call to see if I could get it in the white. Mine has not turned that buttery yellow yet except in places on the headstock sides and back. Of course I still have all the original paperwork that came with it.

Likes about this one is probably the neck. It is fast and feels great. The ebony fret board is smooth as butter. I rarely play it though and most likely will be going up for sale in the next few weeks.
ImageImage

ASAT Special Deluxe - This one has been my favorite for a long time. Mahogany body and neck. Not a Tele sound but a darker more modern sound but very versatile. I love the neck pickup for some sweet blues tone.

ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition - I've had this one less than a month, but it has the best tone and resonates better than any guitar that I have owned. That Western Sweet Pine is very nice indeed and the finish is gorgeous.
ImageImage

-Thanks

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 pm

VERY nice Deluxe. Did you order it with the mahogany neck?

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:23 pm

All of them are very nice. I also have the Alnico launch Asat in pine and it is a spectacular guitar.-- Darwin

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:49 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:VERY nice Deluxe. Did you order it with the mahogany neck?

I found this one new at a dealer in Florida and loved the look and sound of it. It has been my number one guitar for several years now.

I'm always amazed at all the amazing looking guitars I see on this site, I would love to be able to sample all the flavors!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:57 am

darwinohm wrote:All of them are very nice. I also have the Alnico launch Asat in pine and it is a spectacular guitar.-- Darwin

Darwin, I have play two of these and both resonate in an amazing way. Also this is my first guitar with a true alnico pickup and I love that it is bathed in some amazing overtones in all three pickup positions. My wife is starting to get jealous, because I cannot keep my hands off of the guitar :D

I'm not sure if the classics made from the other wood types with alnicos V ring like this one does. I would be curious.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 am

That is exactly why I love the Alnicos. They do have rich overtones, much more than Fenders and it is a characteristic of these Alnicos. They are my favorite G&L pickups.-- Darwin