From Ted to Leo?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 am

Hello all!

I'm a long time PRS McCarty IRW owner/player - 10 years and counting - and it's always been my #1.

HOWEVER, I've recently discovered that even some of the finest guitars have short-comings, which led me to putting an RS kit and set of Bare Knuckles in it and NOW it sounds like a $3K guitar. So then I decided to buy a "cheap" guitar and hot rod it thinking I could have a killer sounding guitar for less $, and I bought a Legacy Tribute on ebay. This is where my story gets interesting...

Although I returned the LT due to a conflict with the sellers description and the actual condition of the guitar, the "cheap" Legacy Tribute, with some minor adjustments, could have been a real player and rivaled some of my nicer guitars, and it immediately sparked my interest in G&Ls. Since then I've played a few here and there in stores (no good dealers in Las Vegas that I'm aware of) and done a lot of reading and I'm ready to custom order my first G&L - and I'm stoked!

I've got a lot of great info on this site - thanks to all!!! :banana:

Re: From Ted to Leo?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Once more: welcome! There is indeed a lot of good info on this site.

Ted McCarty is as instrumental (pun not intended) to guitars as we know tem as Leo. And I really admire Paul for going to school and trying to learn as much as possible from Ted. I willing to bet that if Paul would be 10 years older, he might have done the same (or at least have tried) to learn as much from Leo, certainly when it comes down to pickups.

I was wondering whether that '03 McCarty IRW is part of the Brazilian Limited Edition series that was released that year. A rosewood neck is certainly something special to feel under your thumb.

And let us know what the specs are for the guitar you want to order.

- Jos

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm

if you've been playing prs, no wonder you were smitten by g&l. prs' are for display. and i can't think of a pickup that wouldn't sound better than a stock prs. the bare knuckles are a great choice.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 pm

I love the look of PRS guitars, but I just haven't liked the feel of any that I've tried. I love PRS basses, though. The Jazz-type they built in the 2000s is the sweetest J-type I've ever played, and I also lust after the Bass IV model from the late 80s.

Ken

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Woot!

Custom order tiem!

I bet you will order something cool then comes the hardest part...

The waiting :(

The Starla has perked my interest for years and the S2 Starla looks like something that really interests me.

Have you decided what model you want to order yet?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

DatWunGai, what model are you considering?