Hello from Germany

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi, this is Dirk from Germany.
I guess I best start off by telling you guys of how I got into G&L.
Well, I've bought and modded this Fender Amerrican Standard Image, and turned it into a playable, fine instrument. The stock bridge was a nightmare. Unfortunately I stumbled across following article:http://gtroblq.blogspot.de/2011/08/fender-or-g.html.
All of a sudden this otherwise fine guitar felt somewhat wrong. I was unable to bond with it. I have this Straight Edge background, and although I don't adhere to these dogmas anymore, I'm still concerned with political issues such as large corporations vs small businesses, etc. Virtually every aspiring musician is drawn to either Fender or Gibson, due to the massive amount of marketing and celebrities sporting the brand. Sort of like Nike, where image is everything, sweatshops included. G&L (and Heritage) seemed like the antithesis to these. Also the focus on formidable craftsmanship, rather than endorsment and advertisement was very appealing; to be rather than to seem. (Well, there's the thing with BBE and the Tribute series, but ignorance is bliss :shh: ) Anyway, I managed to trade it against this beautifull G&L AsatImage and couldn't be happier. The original parts, bridge and MFD-PUPs were part of the deal, so I'll have them reinstalled (Yes, that Is a Gibson, next to it :scared0016: ).
It is way heavier than the Fender. The neck is comparable and feels great. The Fender was sort of a good tasting white wine, whereas the G&L is a strong, blonde beer, if that makes any sense; I'm a beer guy. There's just more substance to the Asat in various ways. (The guy who bought the Fender from me confirmed what a great guitar the Tele is with all the mods, so I'm not sure, if my craving for the Asat was just a case of plain G.A.S. I miss the Fender, but don't regret what I did, though).

I play in an experimental Doom Metal band called Wreck, so my go to guitar is an SG played into this:Image.

Looking forward getting to know you guys.

Dirk

Re: Hello from Germany

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Welcome to G&LDP, Dirk. That ASAT Classic looks nice. When you get the original pickups back in, I'm sure you'll find it to be a very versatile guitar.

The article you linked to is interesting. I didn't realize how close that Tribute was to an existing Cort model.

Ken

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. Nice ASAT. Very traditional in looks.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Welcome, Dirk! :wave:

In case you have not seen this post yet, please take a look: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek: