New member....long time G & L owner

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I stumbled upon this site while researching my F-100 series II guitar.
I'm primarily a keyboardist and have many "classic" instruments (Minimoog, Moog Sonic 6, Prophet 5, Fender Rhodes) but my G & L is my only electric guitar.
From what I've read online and on this board I guess I made a wise choice some 30 years ago!

http://www.sonicmusic.net/G_L.htm

Poly

Re: New member....long time G & L owner

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 pm

polymod wrote:
From what I've read online and on this board I guess I made a wise choice some 30 years ago!

Poly

Yes you did !
here's the pic inline `

Love that Candy apple red ,

Welcome Poly,
hope to see you around
elwood

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome, Polymod! It's nice to see another Moog fan around here. I started with Moogerfoogers, just got my first synth (an Arturia Minibrute), and have a Sub Phatty sloooowly making it's way up from Asheville.

F-100s are nice guitars if you take the time to figure out the controls.

Ken

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Welcome! :wave:

Glad you found us and we hope that our site can be of some assistance.
In case you have not seen this announcement post, please check it out: Welcome! Read This First.
And don't forget to add your F-100 to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've added my guitar to the registry and am reading reading all FAQs!
and Ken....I saw a post on another forum that described the controls in detail.
Just in case anybody is interested I'll post them while attemptling my first inline pic post :)
Active:

Passive:

Poly

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:35 am

Is your guitar's body mahogany or swamp ash? Most solid finishes were over ash, but sometimes 'hog got a solid finish. My F-100s sound so different from each other that they might as well have been two different models.

Ken

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 am

KenC wrote:Is your guitar's body mahogany or swamp ash? Most solid finishes were over ash, but sometimes 'hog got a solid finish. My F-100s sound so different from each other that they might as well have been two different models.

Ken

I'm not sure what the body is made from. All I know is that it's the heaviest guitar I've ever played.

Poly

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 am

The early G&Ls tend to be pretty heavy. I haven't weighed my F-100s, but they both must be up around ten pounds. The L-1000 and L-2000E are even heavier, but no other bass will touch them in terms of bottom end.

I'm not sure whether you know the history of the F-100, but it was intended as a guitar that could "do it all". George Fullerton had noticed that many guitarists in the late 70s were carrying several instruments to gigs to get all the sounds they needed. The concept for the F-100 was that one guitar could cover all of the needs of country, rock, blues and funk. They were hoping that musicians would see it as a convenient and relatively inexpensive alternate to a larger collection.

Ken

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 am

KenC wrote:They were hoping that musicians would see it as a convenient and relatively inexpensive alternate to a larger collection.

Ken

That seems to make my choice of owning one guitar that much better :lol:
Thanks for the info!

Poly

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Bitching F-100. I have one that is also my sole electric. What great guitars! I am looking for tele now, and will either build a new G&L ASAT (how I found this website) or go boutique.

The switch information you posted came with the machine, along with a description of the G&L company, because no one knew anything about the company nor all the funky controls on the F-100