New member from Texas. Just got my Asat Bluesboy today!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi everybody.
I've been a huge guitar lover for the past 5 years or so. Still not a very good player though. I just got my G&L Asat Bluesboy in blackburst today (all backed out with ebony board) and have been giving it a test run all day and exploring the sonic capabilities. Obviously early days, but so far I am very impressed. I already own a Tribute S500 that I've had for about 2 months and I love the pickups on it. Wanted to expand into the quality of a USA made G&L. Not owning a T-syle yet, I figured I'd go for an Asat. The quality is awesome. My Tribute is good, but I wouldn't say it was a keeper. I love the pickups on the S500, but the quality just left me a little bit wanting. I had to get the frets re-dressed and have a new nut put on it. It does have great sound though, and very versatile. It's definitely hotter and more versatile than my Fender American Standard Strat, but the Strat still destroys it on quality and overall playability. The Tribute S500 was primarily for practicing on, and for taking to guitar lessons - and for introducing me to G&L. I bought it new, and with hindsight, really wished I'd bought a 2nd hand USA G&L S500 or Legacy. Bad move there by me. The resale on the Tribute S500, means I will loose big time if I sell it.

Anyway, the USA Asat Bluesboy is my newest addition, and I am really loving it. In some ways the sound resembles the S500. They both have a punchy, solid sound in neck position. The Tribute also has individual bass and treble tones, so you can pretty much dial in whatever sound you want - within reason. The differences are more obvious in the bridge position. There's no mistaking the bridge S-style or bridge T-style sounds. But with tone control manipulation, these differences can be minimized. I've found the Bluesboy to have better sustain. The Tribute S500 really is not a sustain monster, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm guessing down to the build quality. The Tribute is heavy and solid, but it feels more like a weapon! Whereas the Bluesboy feels more like an instrument.

Well, I don't want to ramble on too much with my intro. Just to say, I'm very new to G&L, and am looking forward to the adventure of exploring and experiencing their instruments. Believe it or not, I only found out about them about 6 months ago! How is that possible?? I've been a Fender fan from the outset and have owned a couple of Strats. Also own a PRS Custom 24, that lives in the case coz it's too valuable to scratch. Anybody else have that problem? The PRS is top notch though. But overpriced. I'm already researching and planning my next purchase - a gift to myself for my 40th birthday. So far I'm thinking Fender Custom Shop Tele or a Suhr. I'm not good enough to own such awesome instruments, but they inspire me to play, and I appreciate the sounds of just strumming a few chords. Does anybody else have the problem of deciding how many guitars is too many? I have 4 so far, but could easily find room for 5 more tomorrow if I had the money!

I'd attach a photo of the Bluesboy, but haven't figured that out yet.
Cheers all

2009 PRS Custom 24 Killer Quilt
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2012 G&L Asat Bluesboy
2010 G&L Tribute S500

Re: New member from Texas. Just got my Asat Bluesboy today!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:41 pm

okay, here's a link to photos of my guitar.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99123683@N07/9322518433/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99123683@N07/9325292928/

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 pm

congrats on the Happy NGD !! ..... I have 4 G & L's , I think there is room for a few more G & L's and maybe a couple Leo era G & L's ...... I think 50 would be a good limit :lol:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:18 pm

iheartguitars wrote:okay, here's a link to photos of my guitar.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:31 am

iheartguitars wrote:I'd attach a photo of the Bluesboy, but haven't figured that out yet.
Cheers all

2009 PRS Custom 24 Killer Quilt
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2012 G&L Asat Bluesboy
2010 G&L Tribute S500

Welcome! :wave:

Please see Welcome! Read This First as it has information about our site and how to post photos and videos here.
Also, please add your G&L's to our G&L Registry, too.

:ugeek:

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 am

howdy!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:55 pm

iheartguitars wrote: I just got my G&L Asat Bluesboy in blackburst today (all backed out with ebony board) and have been giving it a test run all day and exploring the sonic capabilities. Obviously early days, but so far I am very impressed.

Welcome! Congrats on the Bluesboy. What style(s) of music are you playing on it?

iheartguitars wrote: Also own a PRS Custom 24, that lives in the case coz it's too valuable to scratch. Anybody else have that problem?

Yes. Mine is an ASAT Bass in Gold Flake with matching headstock. It was described to me over the phone by a sales clerk at Guitar Center as being "kind of gold-ish, with some sparkle in it". I took this as meaning Shoreline Gold, which I thought would be perfect. He also described it as having some playing wear. Wrong on both counts...it was Gold Flake, and closer to mint than most new guitars are by the time they leave the store. I can't bear the thought of causing the first ding - and am also just not a Flake finish kind of guy. So, it lives in its case and waits to be trade fodder...

iheartguitars wrote: Does anybody else have the problem of deciding how many guitars is too many? I have 4 so far, but could easily find room for 5 more tomorrow if I had the money!

Yes again! I remember what it was like finding space in an apartment for the fourth or fifth G&L. A couple of years later, I'm to the point of building a room in the basement to fit the collection. Running out of space has made it much easier to resist GAS and ask myself whether a new instrument will fit in with the collection. Basically I'm just watching for a couple of specific older G&Ls to show up on the market now.

Ken

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

i don't care how valuable a guitar is. it is to be played. i won't leave it in the case. sure, i even drag my amp to gigs and i don't even have a cover. a bit more valuable than a pair of prs cs 24's

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i don't care how valuable a guitar is. it is to be played. i won't leave it in the case. sure, i even drag my amp to gigs and i don't even have a cover. a bit more valuable than a pair of prs cs 24's

I totally agree. I guitar not being played is wasted. I play the Custom 24 in the house only. And even then, after I've taken all belts and metal buttons away. Soft clothes only. It's definitely not gonna be a Clapton "Blackie". That's the dilemma with expensive guitars though: they should be played, but if you put a dent in it, bang! you just took $500 off the value. Unless you have a relic, then it doesn't matter. I always thought of the relics as kind of phony. You know? Would Clapton ever buy a custom worn guitar? I can't see it. I'm pretty sure, he'd just but a new one play it until it became worn. But now I'm getting into the idea of the relic. It takes away that worry of putting a ding in it. You can be more care-free with a relic. Guitars are to be played, but they're also investments. I can't afford to turn my PRS into a 'road worn', and half the value of it. That's literally throwing thousands of dollars away. It's like buying a famous painting or a vintage car. With the ownership comes the responsibility of maintaining that item. I imagine owning a 1950s or 1960s Ferrari would be a burden. Nice to own, sure, but you'd be paranoid every time you took it out of the garage!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

Congrats on the new Bluesboy, and welcome to the cult... er, the community of G&L! I'm a fan of ebony fretboards myself (I have a Strat Ultra and new USA S500 with them), and think it a vastly preferable material than rosewood, at least for what I'm playing these days. As for quality, no doubt you've seen the G&L options list when you got your Bluesboy. I went ebony and a quartersawn maple neck for super-sustain, and they PLEK all the frets on USA models, so yeah, the build quality is that much better.

iheartguitars wrote: I've been a Fender fan from the outset and have owned a couple of Strats. Also own a PRS Custom 24, that lives in the case coz it's too valuable to scratch. Anybody else have that problem? The PRS is top notch though. But overpriced. I'm already researching and planning my next purchase - a gift to myself for my 40th birthday. So far I'm thinking Fender Custom Shop Tele or a Suhr. I'm not good enough to own such awesome instruments, but they inspire me to play, and I appreciate the sounds of just strumming a few chords. Does anybody else have the problem of deciding how many guitars is too many? I have 4 so far, but could easily find room for 5 more tomorrow if I had the money!

You could go the Fender Custom Shop route, but for half the money, a custom-ordered USA G&L might give you everything you really need. I've loved Fenders too, but in my opinion, the newer models (American Standard) don't really measure up to their reputation/name (similar to the OTHER big-name brand that is accordingly overpriced). I think the early-mid-90s was the last time Fender really had the magic going on, and I've been immensely satisfied with my G&L.

How many is too many? Ask Rick Nielsen. He's got one for every song, and then some. I've got five right now, and it seems to be the right number... until it's time to get another.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:LOUIS > i don't care how valuable a guitar is. it is to be played.

I agree 100% with that statement!

Tim

i have to add, that they are to be played out. i know guys who have incredible guitars, and they buy a cheapo to take to gigs. i want to play my best guitar on gigs. my best amp as well. if it gets beat up a little, just call it a relic and make some money at it. lol.