My son is a big G&L fan

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am

Greetings to all. I joined mainly to get our G&Ls registered.

My 16 year old plays guitar so I too am now very interested in guitars. About 6 months ago, he played dozens of strats looking for the right one. He finally found it in a Legacy. Three months ago, he picked up another Legacy after playing it. It's a little lighter with a different tone. When he played a ASAT Classic S Alnico Launch Edition, he had to have it. So, he now plays 3 G&Ls.

He has a few other guitars he uses. He uses a '72 Gibson Firebird V Medallion with 16-56s for slide work. A PRS Mira with Starla pickups is his 'bucker guitar and a Larrivee for acoustic.

I do think G&Ls give you a lot for the money. We also have a great dealer.

Re: My son is a big G&L fan

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:23 pm

great. the new generation of hoarders is growing up. good for your kid, that he realized the quality advantage of g&l's this young.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

3 g&l's in 6 guitars at 16? the lucky spoiled brat.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 am

Well, he plays those things. They don't live in a case or on a wall. I was going to post a pic but I've noticed all pics here are "still" shots. I like to see a nice G&L on stage, getting folk's hands and feet moving! He's had many people ask about his guitar, so he's already a spokesman for G&L.

Here's an action shot from Ground Zero in Clarksdale, MS: G&L Legacy at Ground Zero

Another Legacy in action at Po' Monkeys: G&L Legacy as Po' Monkeys]

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

louis cyfer wrote:great. the new generation of hoarders is growing up. good for your kid, that he realized the quality advantage of g&l's this young.

Salmon wrote:3 g&l's in 6 guitars at 16? the lucky spoiled brat.

Geez guys those were really rude welcomes. :mad0025:

Perhaps you might do well with reviewing our guidelines (partial quote):

Rules: We have rules which are simple and will be enforced to maintain a positive atmosphere. Participants
are expected to treat others with respect, kindness, and consideration, including G&L and other
manufacturers.

:ugeek:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

Jack Morrow wrote:Greetings to all. I joined mainly to get our G&Ls registered.

My 16 year old plays guitar so I too am now very interested in guitars. About 6 months ago, he played dozens of strats looking for the right one. He finally found it in a Legacy. Three months ago, he picked up another Legacy after playing it. It's a little lighter with a different tone. When he played a ASAT Classic S Alnico Launch Edition, he had to have it. So, he now plays 3 G&Ls.

He has a few other guitars he uses. He uses a '72 Gibson Firebird V Medallion with 16-56s for slide work. A PRS Mira with Starla pickups is his 'bucker guitar and a Larrivee for acoustic.

I do think G&Ls give you a lot for the money. We also have a great dealer.

Jack Morrow wrote:Well, he plays those things. They don't live in a case or on a wall. I was going to post a pic but I've noticed all pics here are "still" shots. I like to see a nice G&L on stage, getting folk's hands and feet moving! He's had many people ask about his guitar, so he's already a spokesman for G&L.

Here's an action shot from Ground Zero in Clarksdale, MS: G&L Legacy at Ground Zero

Another Legacy in action at Po' Monkeys: G&L Legacy as Po' Monkeys]

Welcome, Jack! :wave:

I just got back from a short vacation and want to welcome you and your son to our site.
I think it's great that your son has discovered G&L instruments and enjoys playing them!

We do have a sub-forum for G&L video and audio posts. Please see: Welcome! Read This First as
it has information about the G&LDP and guitarsbyleo.com and should help you navigate our site.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 am

craig, how are those rude welcomes? something going on with reading comprehension? one is being happy about a new generation of g&l hoarders ( a very good thing don't you agree?) and complementing the kid on good taste, and the other is playfully jealous.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for the welcome Craig. Glad to be here. My son has lots of influence on many young players in the area and he mentions G&L often.

I do believe "hoarding" implies that the instruments are collected and perhaps not played. I'll assure you my sons guitars are played often and I view them as tools to fuel his passion and perhaps his occupation one day. I belong to the PRS site and there's a lot of "collectin'" going on there.

He may be "spoiled" in some eyes, but I believe the likelihood of him becoming a quality artist is enhanced by having quality instruments. At least to my ears.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Jack,

Welcome to G&LDP. We have our share of collectors here too. I'm up to around 25, which is actually fairly low compared to some of the really serious G&L collectors. Some folks have gone into the triple digits with older G&Ls.

I certainly understand wanting your son to start off with good instruments. It was a lot easier for those of us who got started in the 70s or early 80s, when a typical summer job could earn enough for a late 60s/early 70s Strat, Tele, or LP with a decent amp. I've started my oldest son (now ten years old) on a short-scale MIM Fender bass (he also plays upright in his school band). When he is ready for a full scale - and if he shows enough commitment over time - I will watch for a good deal on a used G&L for him. I would rather have him start off with a "keeper" that plays well, without of a stream of money-losing trades along the way...

Ken

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm glad your son is playing a G & L at such a young age , most youngsters don't know what a G & L is ..lol .... sounds like he know's his way around quality instrument ....

I've got four G & L's and just started getting G & L's this year :D I'm for sure not a collector , but I have never gigged with anyone either , I leave them out and play them everyday at home by myself and occasionally with my brother in-law, I don't know what to call myself , I'm not a musician but I like too play all the time ..... I guess I just like playing and hanging out here with the real Musicians ...lol .... I learn a ton off of here

Eric

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Jack Morrow wrote:I do believe "hoarding" implies that the instruments are collected and perhaps not played. I'll assure you my sons guitars are played often and I view them as tools to fuel his passion and perhaps his occupation one day. I belong to the PRS site and there's a lot of "collectin'" going on there.

He may be "spoiled" in some eyes, but I believe the likelihood of him becoming a quality artist is enhanced by having quality instruments. At least to my ears.

i chose "lucky spoiled brat" because 16 was too young for "lucky s.o.b." ...means the same thing in the context of a friendly jab. i should have used a smiley face to avoid a misunderstanding.

btw, you would not know it but there are a lot of g&l hoarders here and about with more g&l's than a squirrel has nuts.

i like different colors and combinations.

on your queue i'm shopping for a few hondas and bmw's for my kid who will be turning 16 and driving next year. i believe he will be an especially good driver with a bunch of quality cars to drive and he may take up professional racing someday.

:D joking alert joking alert joking alert :D

seriously, all meant in fun.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 am

Jack, welcome to you and your son. Whether a player, collector, or owning for any reason, no one has to apologize for owning G&Ls on this forum. The more you enjoy, the better!!!!-I implement all the fore mentioned reasons for owning guitars and thanks for sharing yours! -- Darwin

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, there are many reasons for owning G&Ls and they are all valid. I wanted to make the point that my son's 3 are used and all selected based on sound and playability.

I will also plead guilty to spoiling him. We just spent 10 days in Holly Springs, Clarksdale, and other Mississippi towns listening to and playing the blues. His playing really improved and was well worth the effort. dragging an amp and 5 guitars all through Mississippi did present some interesting moments.

Cheers, Jack

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Jack,

Spoiling or not but what a fantastic father-son thing to do!! And as long as he enjoyed coming along for the ride, what an experience that must have been for your youngster!

- Jos

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Jack Morrow wrote:Thanks for the welcome! Yes, there are many reasons for owning G&Ls and they are all valid. I wanted to make the point that my son's 3 are used and all selected based on sound and playability.

I will also plead guilty to spoiling him. We just spent 10 days in Holly Springs, Clarksdale, and other Mississippi towns listening to and playing the blues. His playing really improved and was well worth the effort. dragging an amp and 5 guitars all through Mississippi did present some interesting moments.

Cheers, Jack

we only say he is being spoiled because we are jealous that we didn't have dads cool enough to do this for us. i had to work for 10 months full time while in school to buy my first guitar. and the only reason my dad bought me an amp was that he bet me when i was starting 9th grade that i wouldn't finish high school by the end of the school year. he lost and had to pay up.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 am

Well, my son does have talent and it would be a crime to not encourage him to utiliize that talent to the max. As I feel asleep last night, I could hear him working on new Delta blues songs he's writing. It's a cool way to fall asleep. Peace, Jack

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Jack,

Spoiling or not but what a fantastic father-son thing to do!! And as long as he enjoyed coming along for the ride, what an experience that must have been for your youngster!

- Jos

Jos,

Actually, my son played while in Mississippi and I was the one along for the ride. Please know that I also had a blast. Since our 10 day trip, we made another 5 day visit. Great times. If you are into the blues, Clarksdale Mississippi is the place to be.

His 2 Legacies are his "go to" guitars at the moment.

Some of his older work on his first G&L: http://youtu.be/4vZrm4GjYhs

Peace,

Jack

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Jack Morrow wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Jack,

- Jos

Jos,

Actually, my son played while in Mississippi and I was the one along for the ride. Please know that I also had a blast. Since our 10 day trip, we made another 5 day visit. Great times. If you are into the blues, Clarksdale Mississippi is the place to be.

His 2 Legacies are his "go to" guitars at the moment.

Some of his older work on his first G&L: http://youtu.be/4vZrm4GjYhs

Peace,

Jack

he has potential, but his left hand technique is pretty bad, it will limit him from progressing. he needs lessons.

Didn't expect this treatment

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:35 pm

What an experience. I'm out of here. Bye.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:12 am

Re: Didn't expect this treatment

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:00 am

Jack Morrow wrote:What an experience. I'm out of here. Bye.

Well, I guess this board lost another one. Congratulations, guys!

Re: Didn't expect this treatment

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:47 am

helle-man wrote:Well, I guess this board lost another one. Congratulations, guys!

:banana:
..oh ..wait..
:silent:

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 am

Lois , whats wrong with his left hand technique ??...... he looked pretty good to my un-trained eyes , I'm just wanting to learn from you guy's

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:45 am

Fumble fingers wrote:Lois , whats wrong with his left hand technique ??...... he looked pretty good to my un-trained eyes , I'm just wanting to learn from you guy's
a lot of tension, poor economy of movement, he is lifting his fingers far off the fretboard. bad habits. he is also using force to move his fingers in both direction. he should only be using it when pushing down, and just relax the finger, it goes back to the starting position. the kid is a talented player, but those habits will hold him back. he can fix those now, or he'll have to relearn later. he is also fretting really flat fingered, another bad habit, will interfere with double stops later. all of this causes a lot of sloppiness. unfortunately this is what happens when starting without proper instructions. it's a lot easier to correct these young, rather than trying to relearn after many years of the habit setting in. the tension in the left hand will also lead to tendinitis, carpal tunnel, etc. not fun. another contributing factor to those is pushing too hard on the strings.

btw, i mentioned this, because people who do these things are not doing it on purpose, they are just not aware. they won't know unless it is pointed out. if one chooses to play that way, and it is an informed decision, that is a different story. i don't think a talented young kid would want to though.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:16 am

A proud father was not expecting to get anything but positive feedback regarding his son's playing. The video clip shows an appreciative audience. Lucifer's comments were meant to be constructive but once again his social skills got in the way.

First off--the kid is MUCH better than I was at that age.

But I have noticed the same thing with some local teenage players--they are judged solely on the merits of their age--audiences are easily impressed with musical talent especially when exhibited by younger musicians.

Lucifer has an extensive formal musical study background and always shoots from the hip, giving his honest opinion--which is NOT always negative.

My thoughts after watching the video was that the kid should drop the "behind the head" theatrics (I know the crowd seemed to be eating it up) and concentrate more on playing, but I held my tongue because I knew the OP was looking for only positive responses. Lucifer is never confined by such restraints.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:38 pm

After some consultation, it's been decided that louis cyfer will have his posting privileges suspended for a period of 1 month.
During this time out period I suggest that he look into some Tact and Diplomacy training.

Any further discussion about this should be taken over to the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion sub-forum.
I will be locking this topic now.