Hi! I Bought an ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, and Joined up!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm a longtime player (34 years, with some of that time spent as the lead guitarist in heavy rock bands), who bought a Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow a couple of days ago. I can't wait for it to arrive (I bought it online via eBay from Neal's Music)! This'll be my 2nd ASAT. I bought my first one (a Tribute ASAT Classic) a couple of years ago used. It was a great guitar, that I fortunately had to sell during a money crunch. I always told myself that I'd get another ASAT (the MFDs are killer pickups IMO), but I got distracted by a few other guitars, and wasn't sure if I wanted another Classic, or a Special for the beefier sonic signature the larger MFDs have (I had the good fortune to try out a G&L Broadcaster at Dave's Guitar Shop back in 1992, but opted not to buy it at the time [It didn't "sound enough like my Gibsons" at the time - I'm still kicking myself for not realizing at the time, what a great sounding, and great playing guitar it was]).

Last week, I finally got around to shopping for G&Ls. There aren't many of them around here (the Milwaukee metro area), but I live close to a G&L dealer. They had a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy, that I took for a spin on Saturday. It played great, and sounded great. I seriously considered buying it, but decided to take a chance, with an ASAT Special. Since I've had many hollow and semi-hollowbody guitars over the years (one of which was a very nice Thinline Telecaster, that was sold during a money crunch), an ASAT Special Semi-Hollow became the preferred choice for me. The waiting.......man! I wish it was here already!

Ellen - impatiently waiting for a guitar to arrive

Re: Hi! I Bought an ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, and Joined up

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:01 pm

its a long hard wait !! .... post some pict when it comes in

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Ellen,

Welcome to the G&LDP. That semi-hollow should be a nice guitar when it arrives. What did you go with for options?

Ken

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

An ASAT Special semi-hollow would just about be my perfect guitar. Light weight but beefy sounding, with a touch of compression on the note attack.

Alas, you never seem to see the for sale in Aus.

Please post some pics when she comes in!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Ellen, welcome and you have made an excellent choice with the ASAT Special. It is one of my favorites.-- Darwin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks people! :) Options-wise it's a standard Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow. I usually like my guitars to be pretty stripped down. I went with a Tribute model for budgetary reasons. Frankly I was surprised to find out that the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow was offered in a Tribute version - I had pretty much decided to settle for another Tribute ASAT Classic, or Tribute ASAT Special (the MIA ASAT Special Semi-Hollow is a bit too much for my budget at the present time). I've looked on the G&L website, and the Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow isn't listed. I assume it's been discontinued, and my guitar is NOS?

One minor gripe - I wish that the seller had shipped it UPS or FedEx, instead of USPS. USPS is so slow! I assumed that like the majority of things I've gotten off of eBay, that the seller was shipping it UPS or FedEx, and as a result, specified delivery at my workplace (home delivery by UPS and FedEx suck for me), and what do I find out afterwords?, it's coming via the Post Office! If it arrives on Saturday, I have to wait until Monday, to get it at work (it doesn't look like you can change the delivery point for USPS packages, after they've shipped out). More than likely it won't arrive on Saturday (it's coming from California, and while it shipped out on Monday, I doubt it'll be here before next week), but you never know.
Last edited by ellengtrgrl on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am

Welcome and hopefully it will arrive much sooner than expected. I know what you mean about USPS. My latest G&L was shipped from upstate NY to NJ and it took 11 days. Would have been easier to drive six hours and pick it up. Lol.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am

jediguitarist wrote:Welcome and hopefully it will arrive much sooner than expected. I know what you mean about USPS. My latest G&L was shipped from upstate NY to NJ and it took 11 days. Would have been easier to drive six hours and pick it up. Lol.

Yuppers! I know what you mean. Unfortunately, California is more than a 2 or 3 hour drive away from me. :(

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:03 pm

I have an L-1500 inbound, shipping tomorrow from NYC to Maryland. Let's race!

Ken

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm

cool. i spent time as a lead guitarist in some heavy rock bands as well. i have the bluesboy(p90) semihollow.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 pm

KenC wrote:I have an L-1500 inbound, shipping tomorrow from NYC to Maryland. Let's race!

Ken

No contest! You Win! I checked what little tracking information for it that I could find, and my guitar didn't even start to transit until this past Tuesday! Chances of my guitar arriving here in Wisconsin by tomorrow? NIL!!!! The chance of it arriving my Monday? Still pretty slim IMO. :(

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

louis cyfer wrote:cool. i spent time as a lead guitarist in some heavy rock bands as well. i have the bluesboy(p90) semihollow.

Yep, you cant take the metulz out of this girl I guess. While I've gotten more musically eclectic over the years (a guilty pleasure of mine is jazz guitar, and I've liked a fair amount of punk, alt-country, and alt-rock, I even enjoy good acoustic guitar [I LOVE my 1978 Guild 12-string!], and some symphonic music [I played in symphonic and jazz band {euphonium, and valve trombone} from 6th grade, through my Sophomore year of college]) - ah luvs muh high gain tones (as long as they aren't hair metal in nature). I think the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, will grind, and crunch most nicely! 8-)

BTW - cool GWAR-type avatar! :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:No contest! You Win! I checked what little tracking information for it that I could find, and my guitar didn't even start to transit until this past Tuesday! Chances of my guitar arriving here in Wisconsin by tomorrow? NIL!!!! The chance of it arriving my Monday? Still pretty slim IMO. :(

I'm guessing I'll see mine on Wednesday or Thursday. I talked the salesman into a discount plus free shipping, so I won't complain... :)

Ken

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:cool. i spent time as a lead guitarist in some heavy rock bands as well. i have the bluesboy(p90) semihollow.

Yep, you cant take the metulz out of this girl I guess. While I've gotten more musically eclectic over the years (a guilty pleasure of mine is jazz guitar, and I've liked a fair amount of punk, alt-country, and alt-rock, I even enjoy good acoustic guitar [I LOVE my 1978 Guild 12-string!], and some symphonic music [I played in symphonic and jazz band {euphonium, and valve trombone} from 6th grade, through my Sophomore year of college]) - ah luvs muh high gain tones (as long as they aren't hair metal in nature). I think the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, will grind, and crunch most nicely! 8-)

BTW - cool GWAR-type avatar! :mrgreen:

i mostly play blues now, and also some classical, but i still like my high gain tones as well. i don't play metal out anymore, but i still play it at home. the asat special will crunch very nicely.

but gwar has to wear a mask to look like that :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Hi Everybody,

I'm a longtime player (34 years, with some of that time spent as the lead guitarist in heavy rock bands), who bought a Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow a couple of days ago. I can't wait for it to arrive (I bought it online via eBay from Neal's Music)! This'll be my 2nd ASAT. I bought my first one (a Tribute ASAT Classic) a couple of years ago used. It was a great guitar, that I fortunately had to sell during a money crunch. I always told myself that I'd get another ASAT (the MFDs are killer pickups IMO), but I got distracted by a few other guitars, and wasn't sure if I wanted another Classic, or a Special for the beefier sonic signature the larger MFDs have (I had the good fortune to try out a G&L Broadcaster at Dave's Guitar Shop back in 1992, but opted not to buy it at the time [It didn't "sound enough like my Gibsons" at the time - I'm still kicking myself for not realizing at the time, what a great sounding, and great playing guitar it was]).

Last week, I finally got around to shopping for G&Ls. There aren't many of them around here (the Milwaukee metro area), but I live close to a G&L dealer. They had a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy, that I took for a spin on Saturday. It played great, and sounded great. I seriously considered buying it, but decided to take a chance, with an ASAT Special. Since I've had many hollow and semi-hollowbody guitars over the years (one of which was a very nice Thinline Telecaster, that was sold during a money crunch), an ASAT Special Semi-Hollow became the preferred choice for me. The waiting.......man! I wish it was here already!

ellengtrgrl wrote: I've looked on the G&L website, and the Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow isn't listed. I assume it's been discontinued, and my guitar is NOS?

Welcome Ellen! :wave:

Yes, the Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow was discontinued in the end of 2012. So, your's would be NOS.

In case you missed this post in the Annoucements, please check it out: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 pm

KenC wrote:I have an L-1500 inbound, shipping tomorrow from NYC to Maryland. Let's race!

Ken

Bastid! - ed

PS: Why don't you leave some for the rest of us. Between you and Jos, we don't stand a chance! - ed

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:11 pm

zapcosongs wrote:

Ken

Bastid! - ed

PS: Why don't you leave some for the rest of us. Between you and Jos, we don't stand a chance! - ed

I scrounge the cast-offs that nobody else seems to want. The new-to-me L-1500 had apparently stayed on a major store's wall and website for several months and dropped in price quite a bit before I found it. By pure chance, I had been looking for this exact spec (swamp ash with 1.5" neck) for about a year before I finally stumbled on this one.

Ken

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I really was kidding. Glad the stars aligned for you. Just enjoy! - ed

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I really was kidding. Glad the stars aligned for you. Just enjoy! - ed

I know. I should have put a smiley face in that reply somewhere, but I was too tired to think straight - and it's only Monday! :crazy: You need to get out my way sometime and try the L-1500 (and others) out!

Ken

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Hi Everybody,

Hey Ellen. I assume your G&L guitar has arrived? Do tell..... - ed