1979? F100 series II neck

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am

That pic of au naturel G&L F100 series II made me have to join in. I have a dark sunburst F100 II that I bought new in 1979(?) SN# 101026. I was a senior in high school and I snuck out on my lunch hour & walked 15 blocks the Ithaca Guitar Works and bought it. As I was walking back lo and behold who should drive down the street but my mother! She was not too happy about the whole thing, $629 was a lot of money for a kid in those days. I recently bought a bunch of parts from G&L and refurbished this guitar. I absolutely love this thing and it has been my main and ONLY guitar for thirty plus years until I bought a PRS this year. After the refurb it plays better than ever. Just two things: plating is coming off my knobs, can't seem to find new ones and my neck pickup seems like it is down on output, getting another one seems to be a matter of getting another whole guitar just to get a pickup because they are so unique in their mounting and shape.

Just a fantastic guitar to play, the whammy bar is great, I use three springs for a lite touch, ..crazy amount of travel up & down and stays in tune.

try to post a pic, not so sure i can figure out how the url thing works ... why can't you just upload a file?

Dr G.

Whoops!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Sorry everyone that was 1981! obviously ... G&L not made in '79!

1979? F100 series II neck

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Dr G wrote:Sorry everyone that was 1981! obviously ... G&L not made in '79!

Yes, this is true. ;)

Dr G wrote:That pic of au naturel G&L F100 series II made me have to join in. I have a dark sunburst F100 II that I bought new in 1979(?) SN# 101026. I was a senior in high school and I snuck out on my lunch hour & walked 15 blocks the Ithaca Guitar Works and bought it. As I was walking back lo and behold who should drive down the street but my mother! She was not too happy about the whole thing, $629 was a lot of money for a kid in those days. I recently bought a bunch of parts from G&L and refurbished this guitar. I absolutely love this thing and it has been my main and ONLY guitar for thirty plus years until I bought a PRS this year. After the refurb it plays better than ever. Just two things: plating is coming off my knobs, can't seem to find new ones and my neck pickup seems like it is down on output, getting another one seems to be a matter of getting another whole guitar just to get a pickup because they are so unique in their mounting and shape.

Just a fantastic guitar to play, the whammy bar is great, I use three springs for a lite touch, ..crazy amount of travel up & down and stays in tune.

try to post a pic, not so sure i can figure out how the url thing works ... why can't you just upload a file?

Dr G.

Welcome :wave:

As you can see, I split your posts into a new thread.

You must have mis-read the serial number as it should begin with a "G". Can you post a photo showing the serial number?

Regarding posting photos, see Tutorial: Posting photos.
There are instructions for posting from a photo service or our Gallery in the Tutorial. The reason we don't let you upload directly into the G&LDP
is because we have a Photo Gallery and you can upload your G&L photos into the Registered User's Album once you register in the Gallery.

A possible resource for hard to find G&L parts, check ESI. ESI specializes in the authentic reproduction of difficult or impossible to locate parts for
G&L brand guitars and basses produced between the years of 1980 and 1991.

Looking forward to seeing your F-100. :searching:

:ugeek:

Re: 1979? F100 series II neck

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Craig: you are indeed correct I did that by memory and did not get it quite right. the S/N is actually G010127(!) I knew the G was there but I omitted it because I figured they all had it.

I looked at doing the pictures and will try to do it at some point. It seemed a bit involved. I got some knobs for it that I like, they are Gotoh "cosmic black" ... kind of a chrome black combo they look really slick, not very original though. Just finished doing a cap & tube job on my '72 Super Reverb and the G&L really sounds good through this.

Thank you very much.