Hey everyone! I am new and have questions.

Wed May 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi all. I had a USA Legacy HB built in honeybust. Beautiful guitar. I have 4 fenders, ( 2 strats, cabronita tele, and a marauder), 2 Gibson les Paul standards, a rickecbacker 360 in fireglow, and 4 Schecters. Very happy with my new build.

I do have questions about proper wiring of my legacy HB. I looked at pics on g&l's site and wiring diagrams from Seymour Duncan. It really doesn't match either one. If I want to post pics of the wiring and get some technical opinions, where do I do that?

I took it back to my local dealer who had their "tech" do some work and now the volume pot doesn't work and I really question his ability. I don't want to go back there again. Can I contact G&L and send or take it to them directly?

Thanks for any guidance.

Re: Hey everyone! I am new and have questions.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

What was the initial reason for taking it back to your dealer and having their tech work on it? Was something not working correctly? You don't mention in your post.

Here is the tutorial for posting photos:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4303

You first have to upload your photos to a web server of some sort--Photobucket.com, Picassa, Flickr, and PhotoPoint, for example.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 pm

They initially built it as a legacy and not an HB. I told them i wanted the HB and They put the correct SD humbucker in but they didn't put in the coil tap. I thought they sent it back to g&l for this but I don't think g&l would overlook that. The shop ordered a push pull pot from g&l and installed it. Now volume pot doesn't work and I noticed that when I use coil tap feature it changes tones in not just switch position bridge and 2nd position but in middle position as well.

They shop has been very accommodating and has been great. They are willing to make the problems right. I just don't think I want the tech doing the work. This would be my 3 rd return trip. I don't think that any of this should be necessary on a custom build guitar.

That is why I was hoping to talk to or go to G&L myself.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 pm

SCtrojan2k wrote:Hi all. I had a USA Legacy HB built in honeybust. Beautiful guitar. I have 4 fenders, ( 2 strats, cabronita tele, and a marauder), 2 Gibson les Paul standards, a rickecbacker 360 in fireglow, and 4 Schecters. Very happy with my new build.

I do have questions about proper wiring of my legacy HB. I looked at pics on g&l's site and wiring diagrams from Seymour Duncan. It really doesn't match either one. If I want to post pics of the wiring and get some technical opinions, where do I do that?

I took it back to my local dealer who had their "tech" do some work and now the volume pot doesn't work and I really question his ability. I don't want to go back there again. Can I contact G&L and send or take it to them directly?

Thanks for any guidance.

Beginning in 2013, the mini-toggle has been superceded by a push/pull volume. See the Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics in our Gallery.
Look at the Legacy Deluxe photo and you will see the push/pull volume. I have updated our Legacy HB diagram and photo with a note about this change.

For G&L support, see the Support page on the main G&L website.

Also, please see this post in the Announcements of this sub-forum: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Thank you much , Craig. I noticed the wiring diagram on the G&L page is different than mine.

For example, the G&L site shows the red and black wires from neck and middle pickup on 5 way switch but on my guitar the whites are connected to my switch and the others are grounded.

I will post photos soon to show my current wiring.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 am

SCtrojan2k wrote:Now volume pot doesn't work and I noticed that when I use coil tap feature it changes tones in not just switch position bridge and 2nd position but in middle position as well.

The not working volume is a fault and has to be corrected for free.

The second one, would be an extra feature, which I currently do not know how to implement. But I'm not sure you want this, as it will not be hum free, because the hum collected by 2 coils is compensated by only 1. While as long as the matching coil of the humbucker is left over, there should not be more hum, than if middle and neck pickups are on. But at the moment you have the choice between split or not split in that in between position and that's better anyway.

So let the volume problem be solved by that dealer or do it yourself. No need to send it to G&L for that, I guess they would refuse to work on it anyway, as it's not their work, they would have to finish.

For the circuit, don't rely on colors. Check which line goes from the 5-way-switch to the volume pot. Is it connected to the same leg as in the wiring plan? Is the other line on the volume pot connected to the correct leg?

Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 am

SCtrojan2k wrote:They initially built it as a legacy and not an HB. I told them i wanted the HB and They put the correct SD humbucker in but they didn't put in the coil tap. I thought they sent it back to g&l for this but I don't think g&l would overlook that. The shop ordered a push pull pot from g&l and installed it. Now volume pot doesn't work and I noticed that when I use coil tap feature it changes tones in not just switch position bridge and 2nd position but in middle position as well.

They shop has been very accommodating and has been great. They are willing to make the problems right. I just don't think I want the tech doing the work. This would be my 3 rd return trip. I don't think that any of this should be necessary on a custom build guitar.

That is why I was hoping to talk to or go to G&L myself.

SCtrojan2k wrote:Thank you much , Craig. I noticed the wiring diagram on the G&L page is different than mine.

For example, the G&L site shows the red and black wires from neck and middle pickup on 5 way switch but on my guitar the whites are connected to my switch and the others are grounded.

I will post photos soon to show my current wiring.

Contact Chris Robosan and he will take care of getting your Legacy setup to a Legacy HB as you had originally ordered.
It sounds like you are local to the G&L facilities, so mention to Chris that you could bring it to him.

Regarding the difference in wiring you are seeing: since the guitar was built as a standard Legacy, look at the Legacy picture diagram in our Gallery
and you will see the wiring at the pickup selector, notice the wires are all white. Now look at the Legacy Deluxe picture and that should be what it should look like
after it's been converted to a Legacy HB.

If you ordered this guitar as a Legacy HB, all the work done to modify it to a Legacy HB should be covered under the warranty, with no charge to you.
They should also give you a new Custom Build Specification sheet to reflect this change.

Hope this helps and let us know how it worked out. Once it get's all sorted out, don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek: