Hi, new member, new G&L Legacy.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi all, I was recently trading an amp I no longer needed, and a man contacted me with an offer for a G&L Legacy. I've never owned one before, and really never owned any Strat typie guitar before (only barely). I was more than willing, though, because I've owned a G&L L1000 bass for a little less than 20 years, and know that G&L makes some great products.

Well, I made the trade, and as expected, it's a great playing guitar. However, it's in rough shape. The worst problem is, the bridge pickup is some horrible aftermarket humbucker that I would pull out even if it was wired properly and otherwise working, which it's not. So, that's got to go. The rest of the electronics are noisy, but I can probably take care of that. The good news here is, I know my way around working on guitars OK, I've got a multimeter and soldering gun and I'll be able to get it all together in time.

So, that humbucker has to go. The bridge is pretty corroded, and if I could find a way to replace it I'd do so, but I don't know how easy they are to find other than G&L's $100 asking price. I'd probably replace the pickguard too, same situation.

A lot of what I don't know is G&L specific. I need a new back plate for the tremolo system, will any Strat sized plate work? How about with pickup covers, they look the same, but are they?

What sort of shielding does a G&L guitar typically have, should I plan on doing that while I'm at it?

I'll pull the neck and everything soon, to get at the date, but does anyone have a rough estimate or any advice on that matter? I know the three bolt necks are earlier.

This is a wonderful guitar, though. I know that G&L makes great products, and this doesn't disappoint, even in the condition it's in. Here's some pictures... Wow the Cat likes this guitar, and she usually doesn't like guitars much.

I guess my main first problem is the pickup. Should I get a G&L replacement, or should I look into something else? Do most aftermarket pickups fit G&L guitars no problem? It looks like they would... looks can deceive. Thanks all!

Re: Hi, new member, new G&L Legacy.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Welcome! :wave: (I moved your post to this sub-forum).
Please check out our Welcome! Read This First post.

If your Legacy was built before 1995, the stock pickups would have been Seymour Duncan SSL Vintage (flats) otherwise they
would have been G&L Vintage Style Alnico V. See List of pickups used in G&L guitars post in our G&L Knowledgebase.
Most (if not all) aftermarket Strat type single coil pickups will fit.

Please do add your Legacy to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Re: Hi, new member, new G&L Legacy.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Very nice guitar Larry, I would try to find a G&L pickup and put in it. Welcome--Darwin