Just got my Superhawk (1st fiddle) back after 25+ years!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:45 am

She needs some TLC, but I am pretty excited to resurrect her.

The 2nd owner installed EMGs, left the battery in and it corroded all the electronics.

He also moved the input jack to the face of the fiddle (WTH), so that will have to be corrected.

Also will probably replace the Kahler with a new/refurbed model

Need to replace the missing string tree too.

Re: Just got my Superhawk (1st fiddle) back after 25+ years!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 am

!!!
Cooolll! ( except for the input jack etc.), sounds like it'll be a labor of love bringing her back.

Don't forget to take some before pics, it makes the after pics all that much better !!

elwood

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 pm

congrats on getting her back , a couple picts would be great to help us G&L newbee's learn about the "Leo era" instruments ... hint hint ..lol

Eric

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm

CavemanRadio wrote:She needs some TLC, but I am pretty excited to resurrect her.

The 2nd owner installed EMGs, left the battery in and it corroded all the electronics.

He also moved the input jack to the face of the fiddle (WTH), so that will have to be corrected.

Congratulations on getting a long lost friend back (too bad about the abuse it's had :thumbdown: ).

Please check out this post: Welcome! Read This First, 'cus "it does not exist without pictures!". :searching:

:ugeek:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Craig wrote:
CavemanRadio wrote:She needs some TLC, but I am pretty excited to resurrect her.

Congratulations on getting a long lost friend back (too bad about the abuse it's had :thumbdown: ).

Please check out this post: Welcome! Read This First, 'cus "it does not exist without pictures!". :searching:

It appears posting pix is no easy chore on this page...I have plenty, but dont feel like opening a photobucket account just to load px here...has to be a simpler way?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm

there is. you can post it on facebook, or on the gallery section here. just link them.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 pm

louis cyfer wrote:there is. you can post it on facebook, or on the gallery section here. just link them.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=11464

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 pm

At least there's no gobs of bondo,
...maybe make a StereoHawk in the making ? :roll:

elwood

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 pm

CavemanRadio wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:there is. you can post it on facebook, or on the gallery section here. just link them.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 am

I'll take better pix tonight and add them tonight...Apparently there was some type of string tree removed from the headstock...added a pic just now...but I have not been able to find a pic online of a superhawk that had a string tree with multiple screws on each side...

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=11479

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 am

I'd bet one of the original screw holes failed, the owner angled it slightly... added a new hole,
...then those failed and the owner move the whole thing over a skooch,
then put it in a drawer eventually.
:searching:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

Elwood wrote:I'd bet one of the original screw holes failed, the owner angled it slightly... added a new hole,

Any idea what the original string trees could have looked like?

Also any idea where I can get an original input jack and string trees?

Thanks!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm

CavemanRadio wrote:
Elwood wrote:I'd bet one of the original screw holes failed, the owner angled it slightly... added a new hole,

Thanks!

No string trees needed with the Kahler and locking nut. Here is another example I found doing a Search here:

Superhawk - 25th "birthday" today.

For the output jack (why do many insist on calling it an input jack ??? :roll: ) the G&L On Line Store sells the ones they use today.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated link to G&L On-Line Store

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Craig wrote:
CavemanRadio wrote:

Thanks!

No string trees needed with the Kahler and locking nut. Here is another example I found doing a Search here:

Superhawk - 25th "birthday" today.

For the output jack (why do many insist on calling it an input jack ??? :roll: ) the G&L On Line Store sells the ones they use today.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, I wonder if those screw holes above the locking nut were from a string retainer bar like the one on this Invader, which was recently posted on the G&LDP?

Elwood may be right on. I've just never seen a Superhawk with one of them installed. :searching:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Craig wrote:Elwood may be right on. I've just never seen a Superhawk with one of them installed. :searching:

And it makes no sense anyway.

Except for making string changes to be done harder. ;)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
Craig wrote:Elwood may be right on. I've just never seen a Superhawk with one of them installed. :searching:

And it makes no sense anyway.

Except for making string changes to be done harder. ;)

indeed. ibanez uses those and what a pita they are.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 pm

No idea on the holes. Here's another shot of my '86 Superhawk's headstock (Kahler-equipped, so no string tree):

The light spot between the model decal and the G tuner is a ding, not a screw hole.

CavemanRadio wrote:Any idea what the original string trees could have looked like?

I'm guessing your 'Hawk is an '84, from the lack of a "by Leo Fender" decal. G&L string trees up through 1987 did have two mounting holes, but were closer together and farther up the headstock than the holes on your guitar. And, of course, they wouldn't have been on a Kahler-equipped guitar anyway. Here are examples from an '85 or '86 Skyhawk and an '86 ASAT, showing size and position:

Ken

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 am

Last night I bought an '85 Superhawk off eBay...black...will be the evil-twin to my original fiddle...appears to be near mint too. When it arrives I will post pix. 8-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-1985-Super- ... 348wt_1172

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

CavemanRadio wrote:Last night I bought an '85 Superhawk off eBay...black...will be the evil-twin to my original fiddle...appears to be near mint too. When it arrives I will post pix. 8-)

Aah! So you picked that one up. Congrats!

- Jos

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
CavemanRadio wrote:Last night I bought an '85 Superhawk off eBay...black...will be the evil-twin to my original fiddle...appears to be near mint too. When it arrives I will post pix. 8-)

Aah! So you picked that one up. Congrats!

- Jos

Thanks!

I just didn't want my original SH to feel outnumbered by my Les Pauls ;)