Another new guy

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi all. I've been reading the forum for a bit, found some great content and decided to sign up, and I guess I'll give a brief introduction. I was once a music major/jazz sax player/audio engineer who had to go get slightly more "grown up" jobs a while ago. About a decade ago, I was laid off from one of said jobs and decided to get back to playing and to learn the guitar. I credit that decision for helping me get through the time that followed.

Mainly I love music, literature, satire, knowledge and a pretty fair amount of absurd silliness. I have yet to buy a G&L, however, but keep finding myself drawn to ASATs, especially the semi-hollows. As for my current guitars:

- A Fender Highway One Strat. This was the original incarnation. When I decided to learn guitar I found one heavily discounted and bought it.
- A Gibson B-25. My dad found this in a pawn shop in the 70s. It has issues, but I had it fixed up as much as could be reasonably done.
- A Martin 000-15. When life stabilized and I found myself with a reasonable income and savings again, I decided to get a nice acoustic.
- A CiJ '62 RI Tele. I wore out the frets on the Strat, so it was with a luthier for a long time. Since the acoustic was still a bit loud to play when people were sleeping, I decided to buy a second electric.
- A Hamer Artist Studio. I spotted this on a forum classified. It was well used but pretty reasonably priced, so I did some quick justifying and bought it.
Then I didn't buy anything other than strings and learning material for a few years and decided it was time to buy something very special.
- A Collings OM1. It's definitely special, enough that it can make about any day better.
Last edited by tbp0701 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Another new guy

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Welcome TBP. You have a nice assortment of guitars. I have always been a Strat type guy but am a solid convert to the Asats. You will find that it is not unusual on the forum to find guys that own several G&Ls. -- Darwin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks, Darwin. And I've noticed that. I'd like to spend more time trying them, but I think there's only one G&L dealer within an hour's drive. They just started selling them recently and, so far, only the Tributes. - Tim

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Welcome TPB! I'm sure that first G&L will find you soon enough.

Ken

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 pm

It you like the ASATs, especially the semi hollows, I'd recommend a Classic Custom. It's got an overwound soapbar MFD at the neck that is just SWEET, think P90 but with more mids and tremendous clarity. It is a unique model to boot!

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks.
KenC - That's looking like a safe bet.
JagInTheBag - I was looking at those. Isn't there also now a Bluesboy with a P90? I wonder how they compare.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm

tbp0701 wrote:Thanks.
KenC - That's looking like a safe bet.
JagInTheBag - I was looking at those. Isn't there also now a Bluesboy with a P90? I wonder how they compare.

The ASAT Classic Custom and ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow models are not listed in the 2013 US Dealer Price List.
I know that they still are on the G&L website but Dave has not finished updating it with all the new instruments, so it may be
too late to order a fresh one. See the Production List of G&L Instruments (USA) post in our G&L Knowledgebase, General G&L Questions sub-forum.

I have not heard the ASAT Classic Bluesboy P-90, so I can't give any comparison with the AC CC, sorry.

BTW, Welcome! :wave:

And, in case you have not checked this post: Welcome! Read This First, please do.

:ugeek:

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks, Craig. I suppose I'd better decide quickly if I want a Classic Custom while some are still in stock. The G&L Knowledgebase and this whole site is a great resource. Thank you for that, as well.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 am

tbp0701 wrote:Thanks, Craig. I suppose I'd better decide quickly if I want a Classic Custom while some are still in stock. The G&L Knowledgebase and this whole site is a great resource. Thank you for that, as well.

You have a PM.

Here's a review from a Classic Custom owner I pulled from a site:

"That's a great axe, I've got the same in lake placid blue. Real great feeling, extreme good playability, when you put your hands on this beauty you feel like you played the guitar for years and what a great sound! The overwound neck pickup is warm and powerfull, all the pickups combinations are good. The volume and tone pots are very progressive. The best sounding tele style guitar I've ever tried."