Intro and my G&L

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi everyone. :greet:

I spend some time on other forums (Rig-Talk, ILF, Boogie Boards mostly as well as some others) and figured it's time I join here since I am now a G&L fanatic!

I picked up my first USA G&L a couple of years ago from a buddy on another forum and it's been my number one ever since!
Mine is a USA Invader that has been modified heavily, which is why I got it for a GREAT price (about $400 including shipping:)
The guitar originally had a S-S-H configuration but the neck and middle single coil cavities were filled and the guitar was repainted white. Still has the bridge bucker, which is a SD JB. I sort of like the minimalist and bare bones attitude and vibe of this axe. Just plug in and rock out! I'm not sure if the current bridge is the original or not, but it's currently a Kahler Hybrid fixed bridge.

I think the body wood is Alder. The neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard. So basically, it's very close to a Rampage, which doesn't bother me since I'm a huge Cantrell nut. 8-) The tone and feel of this guitar is just out of this world! I own a couple other nice guitars including Gibsons, Fender, Washburn, Schecter and this Invader is just "the one". It stays in tune for what seems like forever, sounds rich and punchy with incredible string separation and growl, and it has that trademark G&L "snap".
I have JBs in other guitars and they don't come close to the richness and balance that this one has. I've never pulled the pickup to see if it's an older one, which are rumored to sound better... The neck and body date back to '86. It's been awhile since I had the neck off but next time I do, I'll take a couple more pics. Oh, and I removed the tone pot and installed a momentary switch/killswitch since I use it alot in my band.

Glad to be here!
Jordan

Re: Intro and my G&L

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

That is a nice fill + paint job.

Can you cut yourself on the string wraps? They look unprotected.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm

meowmix wrote:That is a nice fill + paint job.

Can you cut yourself on the string wraps? They look unprotected.

At some angles you can see the outline where the single coils were but it doesn't bother me at all. I think my pic makes the finish look a bit better than it really is, but overall it's very nice.

Sorry, not even sure what you mean by string wraps, but assuming you're talking about the bridge? Nothing sharp or that can "catch" on this thing at all.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

redavni68 wrote:I think the body wood is Alder. The neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard. So basically, it's very close to a Rampage, which doesn't bother me since I'm a huge Cantrell nut. 8-) The tone and feel of this guitar is just out of this world! I own a couple other nice guitars including Gibsons, Fender, Washburn, Schecter and this Invader is just "the one". It stays in tune for what seems like forever, sounds rich and punchy with incredible string separation and growl, and it has that trademark G&L "snap".
I have JBs in other guitars and they don't come close to the richness and balance that this one has. I've never pulled the pickup to see if it's an older one, which are rumored to sound better... The neck and body date back to '86. It's been awhile since I had the neck off but next time I do, I'll take a couple more pics. Oh, and I removed the tone pot and installed a momentary switch/killswitch since I use it alot in my band.

Jordan,

Welcome to G&LDP! An '86 Invader is likely to be either maple or swamp ash. I don't believe alder was being used at the time. I have several G&Ls from '86 (two ASATs, a Superhawk and a Lynx Bass), and all of them are maple. IMO those bodies are the best of the best.

Ken

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 am

KenC wrote:
redavni68 wrote:I think the body wood is Alder. The neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard. So basically, it's very close to a Rampage, which doesn't bother me since I'm a huge Cantrell nut. 8-) The tone and feel of this guitar is just out of this world! I own a couple other nice guitars including Gibsons, Fender, Washburn, Schecter and this Invader is just "the one". It stays in tune for what seems like forever, sounds rich and punchy with incredible string separation and growl, and it has that trademark G&L "snap".

Jordan,

Welcome to G&LDP! An '86 Invader is likely to be either maple or swamp ash. I don't believe alder was being used at the time. I have several G&Ls from '86 (two ASATs, a Superhawk and a Lynx Bass), and all of them are maple. IMO those bodies are the best of the best.

Ken

Thank you for the welcome!

Wow, didn't know that. For some reason I thought only the Rampage was made with maple. Very cool! Might be why this guitar sounds so snappy and responsive! Next time I take the neck off I'll take a shot of the pocket. Not sure if there would be any way to tell the wood that way, but it's worth a shot. Thanks Ken!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

redavni68 wrote: Next time I take the neck off I'll take a shot of the pocket. Not sure if there would be any way to tell the wood that way, but it's worth a shot. Thanks Ken!

You're welcome! It's pretty easy to tell maple from ash in the neck pocket by the texture of the grain (ash will be more prominent and more open). Maple vs. poplar is much harder, but I don't think poplar was used after '81-'82 other than for the Lynx Bass. I don't believe alder would be in the mix for Leo-era instruments.

Ken