Hello, again...

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Been registered a couple times before, somehow the accounts have eventually gone inactive (maybe due to a site overhaul, but most likely my fault, if I had to guess). Anyway, am back anew, thanks to Craig's patient assistance, and am very excited about a new G&L that I have on the way. In the meantime -- while I'm waiting for that recent purchase to arrive -- thought I'd share with y'all some pics of the G&Ls that have passed through my stable over the years, and the one that is currently awaiting some company...

I know the above StingRay isn't a G&L, but I liked to think of it as a "pre"-G&L. ;)

A late '80s crinkle ASAT, 3-bolt neck.

Got this gold sparkleburst ASAT from Craig Montoya of Everclear.

Gorgeously grained S-500 from Buffalo Brothers, ultimately a little too heavy for me.

This ASAT Deluxe sounded like a tighter, brighter Les Paul.

One of Buffalo Brothers' rare birds, an ASAT Z-2. Sold this one to "jonc" here.

My keeper, a Comanche -- to (really) know one is to love one.

Glad to be back, "Hello!" to all, and thanks for having me!
Last edited by Lacking Talent on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hello, again...

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi ! The two first asats are gorgeous ! :clap: The others are pretty nice... Except the asat deluxe, a tele-like must stay a pure and simple "tool", two pieces flamed top, binding and hummies are for LP's ! :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 am

I just ate your post and now I have bad GAS. :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 am

Love the Commanche! The 80's ASAT looks killer too! All in all, a very nice stable you keep there, Lacking Talent. You certainly don't lack taste!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:42 am

meursault wrote:Hi ! The two first asats are gorgeous ! :clap: The others are pretty nice... Except the asat deluxe, a tele-like must stay a pure and simple "tool", two pieces flamed top, binding and hummies are for LP's ! :mrgreen:

That's why I sold it! ;)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Love the Commanche! The 80's ASAT looks killer too! All in all, a very nice stable you keep there, Lacking Talent. You certainly don't lack taste!

Thanks, Patrick, but just to clarify, but for the Comanche, the rest have gone on to other loving homes.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 am

Lacking Talent wrote:

you get rid of that one ??? :shock:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 am

where are you in la? i don't know many la guys with g&l's. that comanche looks just likke the one randy scott plays. of course you call name would not be lacking talent.

that is my favorite comache look, but i hate that they come with the pearloid guard. there were a few like this on cl, and i could nt buy them like that. i am yet to see a honeyburst with a flame maple top without one.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 am

meursault wrote:
Lacking Talent wrote:

I did. The MFDs in that particular guitar were real hot/fat screamers, and -- crazy as this may sound to you -- not what I was looking for at the time from a vintage-looking T-style. Truth be told, though, if it had had a maple 'board, I might have kept it! :crazy:

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

louis cyfer wrote:where are you in la? i don't know many la guys with g&l's. that comanche looks just likke the one randy scott plays. of course you call name would not be lacking talent.

that is my favorite comache look, but i hate that they come with the pearloid guard. there were a few like this on cl, and i could nt buy them like that. i am yet to see a honeyburst with a flame maple top without one.

I'm lucky in that I like the pearloid guard -- I kind of wish the pickup covers matched! :shh:

I Googled the player you mentioned, the difference is that my Comanche has the tinted gun oil finish all over the neck, fretboard and headstock (front and back), the darker portions of which closely matches the color of the body (a very beautiful effect, IMO), while his Comanche -- which I'm pretty sure is newer than mine -- has a natural colored neck and fretboard that are nicely set off really nicely by the guitar's tinted headstock face (which has been painted to match the body). Oh, and the other difference, of course, is that his playing is only about a bazillion times better than mine will ever be. :cry:

I'm in The Valley, BTW.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 am

Lacking Talent wrote:
meursault wrote:
Lacking Talent wrote:

I did. The MFDs in that particular guitar were real hot/fat screamers, and -- crazy as this may sound to you -- not what I was looking for at the time from a vintage-looking T-style. Truth be told, though, if it had had a maple 'board, I might have kept it! :crazy:

i understand... i have both, an asat "special" and a asat classic... and well decided to keep both ! :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 am

Lacking Talent wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:where are you in la? i don't know many la guys with g&l's. that comanche looks just likke the one randy scott plays. of course you call name would not be lacking talent.

I'm lucky in that I like the pearloid guard -- I kind of wish the pickup covers matched! :shh:

I Googled the player you mentioned, the difference is that my Comanche has the tinted gun oil finish all over the neck, fretboard and headstock (front and back), the darker portions of which closely matches the color of the body (a very beautiful effect, IMO), while his Comanche -- which I'm pretty sure is newer than mine -- has a natural colored neck and fretboard that are nicely set off really nicely by the guitar's tinted headstock face (which has been painted to match the body). Oh, and the other difference, of course, is that his playing is only about a bazillion times better than mine will ever be. :cry:

I'm in The Valley, BTW.

which valley? san gabriel or san fernando? i am in the valley too. in one of them. :mrgreen:

randy scott is a phenomenal player. he won the king of the blues. i only made the top 30 or so, didn't make the finals.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
Lacking Talent wrote:

I'm in The Valley, BTW.

which valley? san gabriel or san fernando? i am in the valley too. in one of them. :mrgreen:

Recent transplant to The SFV from "over the hill."

louis cyfer wrote:randy scott is a phenomenal player. he won the king of the blues. i only made the top 30 or so, didn't make the finals.

Yeah, he seems pretty great from the online video I watched. If I were ever to enter such at thing, they'd have to create a special "The Bottom 30 BELOW The Bottom 30" subcategory in which to place me. :thumbdown: