Preemptive Post

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey guys, I don't have my G&L yet, it should be here in 8 weeks or so. I'll post pics when I receive it. I figured why wait, might as well join the forum now. As for the G&L I ordered, it's a custom Comanche, swamp ash with honey burst finish, maple neck and fingerboard, locking tuners, flux capacitor, graph tech nut, quarter sawn 1a slim C neck profile with satin finish.. probably some other goodies I'm forgetting, but that's the gist of it. It might not have a flux capacitor, but I'm pretty certain it does..... :D

Re: Preemptive Post

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Welcome to the world of G&L! Your inbound Comanche sounds wonderful. Have you played one before, or was this a blind purchase?

Ken

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 pm

I have not played one before, but I do nothing without due diligence, hours of research and talking to my dealer several times etc. The 1a slim C neck matches the guitar I'm most used to playing, but this will be my first guitar with a maple fingerboard, I do have experience with maple fingerboards however. I was told 3 months for delivery, and it's been 5 weeks to the day, but who's counting...

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

ribeye1974 wrote:I have not played one before, but I do nothing without due diligence,

You'll hear a lot of people on this board (myself included) say that we'd never buy a guitar sight-unseen...unless it's a G&L. The quality is so consistent, that the only thing I personally worry about is undisclosed damage.- which of course won't be an issue with a shipment from the factory.

Ken

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:35 pm

I've ordered a few sight unseen, not a lot, but a few and always got what I expected. I've been playing for 26 years, between my experience and research I seem to do alright in that department. I don't really have a choice to be honest, I live a few hundred miles from anywhere that carries anything high end in stock (or anything upper mid end for that matter), even Winnipeg (200 miles away) only has G&L Tribute Comanches in stock. The town I live in doesn't even have a music store of any kind, we have an electronics store that carries a couple Epiphone guitars and strings if you're lucky, and don't mind paying over $10 for a pack of whatever brand they happen to have in stock. :x

I was looking at several different brands of guitars for this purchase... Suhr, Carvin, Lado, PRS (and G&L of course) to name a few, and the G&L won out. The final cut was between a PRS swamp ash special w/ narrowfield pups and the G&L Comanche. Totally different guitboxes, but share some key traits I like: 3 pup configuration with unique single coils, swamp ash body w/maple fingerboard and floating trem. I was already leaning towards G&L based on my research and reviews I had read, the neck options sealed the deal for me, well that, and price... why pay more for equal/inferior quality? I don't even want to tell you what the Suhr "equivalent to" (closest you can come to the Comanche with their custom options) would have cost me... I'll just say I could buy two Comanches and a new laptop for what they wanted. Sorry if I'm breaking forum rules bashing another maker, but those guys (at Suhr) are crazy (no offense to anyone who plays Suhr, it's cool, fly at er, just too expensive for me).

I'm pretty stoked about the G&L, but I read a post on here, someone saying they waited over a year to receive their guitar or some such, man, I hope that's not the case with me, I don't think I could take it. :D My current main gigging/recording axe needs refretting and some other TLC, of which I am not qualified to perform (nobody around here is qualified) or brave enough to try. My main backup is "ok".. but... meh... and my other back up is semi hollow, designed for different and specific jobs, and quite frankly, hums like a bugger. I expect the Comanche to assume the role of #1 gigging/recording guitar, or at the very least share the duties with my current main guitar once I get it to someone who can do the work it needs done to it.

Man, I babbled on there quite a bit didn't I? Sorry about that... I could talk about gear and music all day. :D I'll leave you with a joke, just stop reading if you've heard it already:

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Four, one to change the bulb and the other three to tell him how Neil Peart would've done it better. :whome:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 am

I'm pretty stoked about the G&L, but I read a post on here, someone saying they waited over a year to receive their guitar or some such, man, I hope that's not the case with me, I don't think I could take it.

My special order arrived in just under 6 weeks (to Vancouver) so maybe you will be lucky.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 am

i think most of us here can talk music and gear all day, so you are in good company. i hear you about suhr. the only thing i wish g&l offered are neck heel contour and cutaway contour. even if those were expensive options, that would put g&l in TA and above range, for a lot less mullah.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 am

suave eddie wrote:
I'm pretty stoked about the G&L, but I read a post on here, someone saying they waited over a year to receive their guitar or some such, man, I hope that's not the case with me, I don't think I could take it.

My special order arrived in just under 6 weeks (to Vancouver) so maybe you will be lucky.

6 weeks!?! Ok, now you've got me all horned up! I'll just pretend you said 13 weeks, so I'm not looking out my window everyday, all day, for a delivery truck. :lol:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 am

[quote="louis cyfer"] the only thing i wish g&l offered are neck heel contour and cutaway contour. quote]

Indeed, those options would be the cats meow.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:42 am

ribeye1974 wrote:'m pretty stoked about the G&L, but I read a post on here, someone saying they waited over a year to receive their guitar or some such, man, I hope that's not the case with me, I don't think I could take it. :D

I remember a recent post about that. IIRC, the poster was referring to an order he had placed in 1991.

Ken

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:30 pm

KenC wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:'m pretty stoked about the G&L, but I read a post on here, someone saying they waited over a year to receive their guitar or some such, man, I hope that's not the case with me, I don't think I could take it. :D

I remember a recent post about that. IIRC, the poster was referring to an order he had placed in 1991.

Ken

...and he still hasn't received it !?! Well good news is, by the time he gets it, it might be vintage! :lol: (yeah, I'm a goof)