nooooob...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 am

hi there !

fell in love of an '93 asat classic almost a year ago, i found a little sister for her last week... weird funny looking '92 special...

Re: nooooob...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:09 am

Welcome, nice Asats!-- Darwin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 am

meursault wrote:hi there !

fell in love of an '93 asat classic almost a year ago, i found a little sister for her last week... weird funny looking '92 special...

Welcome! :wave:

:sign0005:

Oh, and that "weird funny looking '92 special' is an ASAT (not an ASAT Special) [from a 1992 G&L Catalog in our Gallery]:

:sign0011:

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:05 am

the worst part is that i searched the catalog in the gallery and didn't found it... Image

anyway... thanx a lot for that information ! i was there was something special about that non-special asat ! :evilgrin:

so the only difference is the body wood : elder ! interesting ! :mrgreen:

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Welcome! Those are gorgeous ASATs.

meursault wrote:so the only difference is the body wood : elder ! interesting ! :mrgreen:

The difference was the finish on the metal trim. They were called "ASAT" if the tuners, pickguard, bridge and controls were black, and "ASAT Special" if those parts were chrome. The guitars were identical in all other respects, including the headstock decals. In the mid-90s swamp ash became standard for clear finishes and the black hardware went away. After that they were all called ASAT Specials.

Ken

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Welcome "noooooob...." Ha!

Beautiful pair of ASATs you have there. Have not seen too many in white of that vintage, for some reason.

As you've probably discovered, the pickups on those two are quite different - as are the bridges.

Though I have experience With ASATs and ASAT Specials, I've never owned nor played a Classic.

That said, I was just wondering how you'd compare the two insofar as which one you select to play what kind of music.

Again, glad you found this place. - ed

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm

zapcosongs wrote:As you've probably discovered, the pickups on those two are quite different - as are the bridges.

In "Guitars by George and Leo", George Fullerton wrote that the ASAT Classic bridge was an exact replica of the '52 Tele bridge, made from his original drawing. The only difference was drilling it for six saddles instead of three (and I guess stamping "G&L" instead of "Fender"). Considering how many other hardtail bridge designs came and went in that time, it's nice to see that the original concept could still hold up against the SaddleLock.

Ken

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Indeed, Ken. I think George's timeless design is an integral part of getting the quintessential "Tele" sound of an instrument. I honestly don't think this is possible with the SaddleLock, though I have tried. Still, I prefer the SaddleLock for sustain and right hand comfort. - ed

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Noob, you have an awesome pair. Do ever play out in a black suit with a white tie ?
That would catch my eye if I was passing by and you were on a stage somewhere.

Ed, One thing I've learned recently....backing off the volume a bit to maybe 80-85% helps get that tele sound.

If your amp doesn't have any compression in the highs...adding a compressor will help also.
If you don't have a compressor on hand try dialing out the treble a bit on your guitar to get rid of the icepick tone
and add a little treble on the amp with a touch of reverb.
I'm still a noob at getting some sounds, I was surprised when I could get a good tele sound from my homemade ax
(no boxed bridge).
The old JBL 12's really helped get that classic sound too, they seem to compress in the right places.
Last edited by Elwood on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Fantastic looking pair! I love the look of the Special!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 am

I love your ASAT. It matches my Legacy :thumbup:

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am

zapcosongs wrote:Welcome "noooooob...." Ha!

Beautiful pair of ASATs you have there. Have not seen too many in white of that vintage, for some reason.

As you've probably discovered, the pickups on those two are quite different - as are the bridges.

Though I have experience With ASATs and ASAT Specials, I've never owned nor played a Classic.

That said, I was just wondering how you'd compare the two insofar as which one you select to play what kind of music.

Again, glad you found this place. - ed

hey ! thanx !

well, as you said, there are some big differences between the two appart the pups : bridge, string-through, wood ash/alder (and not Elder as i said here above :roll: )

the main difference regarding the pups is that the asat ones are a bit hotter, higher output... the asat sound a little bit less clear and brilliant than the classic... i have the asat since only a week, so it's my little fav now... you know, honeymoon ! :evilgrin:

the way i will choose between the two will more depend on my mood than the style i play ! :mrgreen:

but i'm still experimenting with the asat... this is only the first impression... i'll be able to figure it out more precisely in a few months...

Elwood wrote:Noob, you have an awesome pair. Do ever play out in a black suit with a white tie ?
That would catch my eye if I was passing by and you were on a stage somewhere.

no but most of the times, i wear a black shirt with white printing or a white one with black printing ! :lol:

thanx everyone ! :thumbup:

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

Very nice ASATs, welcome noooooob....

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 am

i learned here above that my asat's body seems to be alder...

even if the '92 catalog says that the classic is ash as standard, i read on this forum that classics have alder as standard as well since '93...

how can i be sure ? :crazy: :think:

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 am

no one ?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:21 am

You need to take the neck off so you can see bare body wood to identify. - ed

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 am

meursault wrote:i learned here above that my asat's body seems to be alder...

even if the '92 catalog says that the classic is ash as standard, i read on this forum that classics have alder as standard as well since '93...

how can i be sure ? :crazy: :think:

Like Ed said, you'd have to remove the neck and check the pocket. It can be difficult sometimes to tell ash from alder even on a full unfinished board, so telling from the pocket can be especially tricky. A couple of high-resolution photos catching all surfaces of the pocket would be helpful.

Ken

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 am

well... i'm not very at ease about doing it by myself... :| think i'll wait the next visit to the luthier... :mrgreen: