S-500 String Saddle Issues

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 am

Good morning! I am new to the forum. I searched some previous posts but didn't find anything regarding the specific issue that I am having. I recently picked up my first G&L guitar [used S-500]. After putting fresh string on and setting the guitar up I noticed that the string windings are laying against the saddles. I have 12 guitars with a majority being Fender strats and teles and I have never had this issue before. I have included a photo clearly showing the issue.

I know this is not correct so I am seeking advice on a permanent resolution. Thanks in advance for the support.

Re: S-500 String Saddle Issues

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 am

I've cut the balls off of an old set of strings and then slid them over the new strings to space the ball end of the new string back. This method works well if you're not a heavy tremolo user.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

I just looked at my S-500 and do not have that issue using D'Addario strings. What brand strings are you using? Sprinters method will also work but it is questionable if you can salvage the strings that you have installed if you use Sprinters suggestion.-- Darwin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 am

you need to include a pic from the side. those saddles seem way too forward, so something is amiss with the set up. also, those strings are not the right ones, you don't want to use ones with windings on the plain strings,

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

I am using Ernie Ball RPS [Reinforced Plain Strings .10's - .46's , the same strings I use on all of my other guitars. That's why the plain strings have windings on them. The set up is perfect, neck relief, action, and intonation. I just happen to notice this after I put new strings on and completed the set up.

I thought about using the ball end off of the old strings but I already had the guitar strung before I noticed and with locking tuners the trimmed strings would be too short to make an adjustment now. I can try that next time I put a new set of strings on. Thanks for the replies.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

tah1962 wrote:I am using Ernie Ball RPS [Reinforced Plain Strings .10's - .46's , the same strings I use on all of my other guitars. That's why the plain strings have windings on them. The set up is perfect, neck relief, action, and intonation. I just happen to notice this after I put new strings on and completed the set up.

I thought about using the ball end off of the old strings but I already had the guitar strung before I noticed and with locking tuners the trimmed strings would be too short to make an adjustment now. I can try that next time I put a new set of strings on. Thanks for the replies.

depending how deep the whole is in the tremblock, using the reinforced plains is a problem, it goes past the saddle contact point. not a good thing.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm

On the new S500s that I have. I can't see the string wrapping. These are the upgrade DFS block.
My older one I can see them but they are not touching. It is also setup differently. The saddles are more forward. The screws don't overlap the hole, unlike your pic.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up some Ernie Ball #2221 Regular Slinky's this week and do a restring to see if that takes care of the problem.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm

tah1962 wrote:Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up some Ernie Ball #2221 Regular Slinky's this week and do a restring to see if that takes care of the problem.

of course if you like g&l and leo fender, you'd not purchase anything from ernie ball considering how ernie treated leo.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm

I like G&L and Fender enough to purchase 3 strats, 3 teles. and a jazz bass. I've tried almost every brand of guitar strings and EB's work best for me. :whome:

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 pm

have you tried thomastik-infield?