Got the steal of a lifetime today.. I think..

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 pm

So i stumbled across a G&L ASAT Classic at a pawn shop that hadn't even made it onto the floor. I saw a picture of it on craigslist and instantly thought that is way too low of a price at $799. So i go into the store at noon today and play it, fall in love with it. It's missing a string and the pickup selector is slightly bent. Easy correction or I could replace it for next to nothing so i ask them if there is any wiggle room. They start asking me if it's an American G&L so i played dumb because I was only 99% sure it was. $599 and it's mine!

I currently play a tribute series that i paid about the same for and this thing is 3 times the guitar. I get back to work and open the hardshell case that comes with it and find the original certificate of authenticity stamped with the name of Phyllis Fender (Mrs. Leo Fender) serial no. written on the cert. is 32526. Any idea what year i'm looking at? Thanks!

Re: Got the steal of a lifetime today.. I think..

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm

COol Score - Congratulations!

I'm not up on the post Leo-era stuff but my guess its mid 90's...

Note - there's rule round here that it doesn't exist until there's a photo... so please post one ;)

Cheers,
KF

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Katefan wrote:
Note - there's rule round here that it doesn't exist until there's a photo... so please post one ;)

Cheers,
KF

+1

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 am

pl14mjr99 wrote:I get back to work and open the hardshell case that comes with it and find the original certificate of authenticity stamped with the name of Phyllis Fender (Mrs. Leo Fender) serial no. written on the cert. is 32526. Any idea what year i'm looking at? Thanks!

What a story, what a score! Congrats :happy0065:

To answer your question, I think that in your case the S/N on the headstock is preceded with the letter 'CL' (and not 'CLF'), correct? And on top of that, you still have a 3-bolt, isn't it? All of this would make your guitar a late '97 to late '98 model (see Serial number significance).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

Katefan wrote:COol Score - Congratulations!

I'm not up on the post Leo-era stuff but my guess its mid 90's...

Cheers,
KF

Last edited by pl14mjr99 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:01 am

I also forgot to ad that the serial is preceded with 'CLF'. So what does that mean?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 am

Here is a quick pic.. thanks for all your replies I had to go and look at it this morning to make sure i wasn't dreaming. Restrung it last night and she plays like a dream.

Last edited by pl14mjr99 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 am

pl14mjr99 wrote:I also forgot to ad that the serial is preceded with 'CLF'. So what does that mean?

That it's likely a '98, maybe '99. G&L changed to 'CLF' late '98 but you still have one of the lower numbers. However, that doesn't necessarily mean a thing since G&L is notorious for having used S/Ns out of order in those days. The only way you'll know for sure is to take the neck off and look for date stamps. BTW, I should have known you have a 4-bolt because for 3-bolts the S/N would still be on the neck plate and start with 'G'.

Also looks like it does not have the original pups given that your neck pup has a chrome cover and the bridge pup looks like having Alnico slug pole pieces. But a beautiful guitar nonetheless!

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 am

pl14mjr99 wrote:I also forgot to ad that the serial is preceded with 'CLF'. So what does that mean?

Clarence Leonidas "Leo" Fender.
What it means to you is that you definitely have a USA instrument. And it's a beauty! :D

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 am

[/quote]
Also looks like it does not have the original pups given that your neck pup has a chrome cover and the bridge pup looks like having Alnico slug pole pieces. But a beautiful guitar nonetheless!

- Jos[/quote]

I'm thinking the original Pups are in the case. I haven't confirmed that but there is a case with two pickups in it and the case says Kinman AVn Series so my gut tells me those are on the guitar and the originals are in the kinman case.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 am

pl14mjr99 wrote:I'm thinking the original Pups are in the case. I haven't confirmed that but there is a case with two pickups in it and the case says Kinman AVn Series so my gut tells me those are on the guitar and the originals are in the kinman case.

Most excellent! The original pups are easily identifiable by the hex slot pole pieces. And if they are in the box, I would claim you have a double steal! You can always return it to its original condition if so desired.

- Jos

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Cheers - Nice looking Axe! +1 on the bonus of stock pu's in the case....

Enjoy!
KF

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

So i've been looking at picture after picture of similar G&Ls compared to mine and I have yet to find one that has the pickup selector in the same position as mine. They are all next to the pick gaurd, mine is the opposite. Any ideas?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 pm

pl14mjr99 wrote:So i've been looking at picture after picture of similar G&Ls compared to mine and I have yet to find one that has the pickup selector in the same position as mine. They are all next to the pick gaurd, mine is the opposite. Any ideas?

A previous owner just flipped the control plate. Some like it that way. You could return it to it's
original position, if you like.

:ugeek:

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Looks good, and what a steal :D
I love it when you just stumble upon a great guitar :happy0065:

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Given that you got the Kinmans AND the original pups, you beat the 2006 mint condition Legacy that I scored two years ago for $500.

That is one gorgeous guitar.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Nice find. I'm generally not a tele-lover but that is a beauty. Love the finish.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:47 am

Freakin' gorgeous ! Congrats ! :happy0065: