NGD: G&L Bluesboy & Daisy Rock Incoming and Re-Introduction

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am

Hey everybody,

I posted on here a while back to do the Lunch Reports because I had plans to get a G&L, and there is some cross pollination between here and the Heritage forum (longtime Heritage guy here). Anyway, kids and family stuff got in the way and my second child turns one-year-old in a little over a week so you can guess what I've been doing.

Anyway, I've slowly gotten back into playing (mostly unplugged, tube amps are loud, who knew? :shock:), but warming up the attenuator whenever I can. So like an idiot I finally posted some thread on looking for a T-style w/ a thick neck on TGP thinking sometime later. Later that day, somebody post something pretty legendary line of "How about a Bluesboy with a thick neck? I have one". Well, six days later and it's on a UPS truck. It shipped out last night and should arrive tomorrow.

What's even cooler is I'm surprising my daughter with a Daisy Rock electric guitar. She's deciding which one to get; it looks like it's a choice between the Butterfly, the Heart, the Star, the Daisy, or one of the Les Paul shaped ones, color undecided yet. I'm planning on giving it to her on my son's birthday (not making a habit of that, but one time seems fine). We were pouring over the Daisy Rock website and she was gasping "That's so cool!" at everything. Like a true guitarist-in-training, she wants them all. Once she decides on one I'm ordering one for her. She thinks she might get one for her birthday this summer, maybe, so this should be a nice pleasant surprise. I think it will be pretty epic.

I'll admit it. I'm more excited to give my daughter her first electric guitar. She's gravitated (heavily) toward playing lefty so this is actually her first left-handed guitar. That said, I'm pretty geeked about the G&L Bluesboy. I've sort of wanted one for a while and I've had to gravitate toward them over time. I've also got a really nice Logan Strat-style that helped pave the way for me to be here, but I thought I'd be a straight-up Mahogany-and-Rosewood LP-style w/humbuckers guy my whole life. This has been kind of a shock.

Anyway, just wanted to share, I guess. That and re-introduce myself so to speak. If anybody's interested, I'll post some pics once I have them.

-Cheers

Re: NGD: G&L Bluesboy & Daisy Rock Incoming and Re-Introduct

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 am

Welcome Halowords!

I love the story of your daughter and the Daisy Rock. My son and I share this passion as well. It most gratifying to see them light up inside! Can't wait to see the pics of your Blues Boy!

Cheers,

JagInTheBag

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:22 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Can't wait to see the pics of your Blues Boy!

We have fans of NPG glitterflake guitars here! So for them do we get to see pics of the Daisy Rock.... :cute467: :happy0007:

I had no idea what a Daisy Rock was so I Googled it and saw these! http://www.daisyrock.com/products/elect ... ies/?lefty

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm

That is a great story, thanks for sharing! My girlfriend has a 4 year old and every time she comes to my house she asks to play "her" guitar ( an old Parker p38 with messed up electronics ) I just grin! I can not wait to give her a sweet little Fender "hello Kitty" model I have already squirreled away, just not yet. BTY I also have a daisy rock, an early one all mahogany, I replaced all of the hardware and installed a Bigsby. It is a lot of fun to let people laugh at it, until they play it . The early daisies were really kind of nice, not too sure about the sycamore models that are currently building, but then again I have never played one. Enjoy the little ones while you can.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I loved the story, HW!

I bought a badly trashed MIM Duo Sonic last year for a project to do with my son. So far we've only gotten the body down to bare wood, and we still need to repair a lot of holes drilled into the body by the previous owner before we can refinish it and restore the electronics. During spring break last month I threw the neck, bridge and strings back on and showed my son (who's ten) how to strum a few open chords. It was wonderful seeing him take right to it, and really try to get the hang of playing.

The big surprise came tonight, though. My son and I were discussing finish options, when my wife laid down an ultimatum that it needed to be either Seafoam Green or Coral. It's even nicer to see the whole family getting interested!

Ken