Hello from San Jose

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am

Just got my ASAT Classic Tribute a week ago and its been hard making it into work since. Its a beautiful guitar. I've had a Vintage AV3 semi-hollowbody (an English guitar made by JHS that's a copy of the ES-335) since I started playing a few years ago, but I've been looking - or maybe longing is the better word - for something with a tone closer to what Muddy Waters got out of his tele.

I've looked around the forums a bit for advice on using the ASATs for slide. A couple posts recommend keeping the strings light on the newer models, and a couple of posts talk knowledgeably about the necessary neck relief. I'm wondering whether a set of heavy strings - say 11 or 12 to 52 - are suited to the ASAT Classic, and how many people play slide on the newer models?

Re: Hello from San Jose

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Welcome DG. I see no problem with heavier strings, just adjust the truss rod accordingly and it should also work great for slide. Post a picture!-- Darwin

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Welcome to the G&LDP, and congrats on the ASAT!

I tried taking my ASAT Classic up to heavier stings. It didn't handle 11s well at all, but was perfectly happy when I went back down to 10s. Part of the problem could have been having a birdseye neck as opposed to something with a cleaner, straighter grain. I would definitely recommend going up one gauge at a time and seeing how they settle in rather than jumping straight to 12s. You may find that the increased tension pulls enough relief into the neck that you don't need to adjust the truss rod.

darwinohm wrote: Post a picture!

+1

Ken

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

dgrover wrote:Just got my ASAT Classic Tribute a week ago and its been hard making it into work since. Its a beautiful guitar. I've had a Vintage AV3 semi-hollowbody (an English guitar made by JHS that's a copy of the ES-335) since I started playing a few years ago, but I've been looking - or maybe longing is the better word - for something with a tone closer to what Muddy Waters got out of his tele.

I've looked around the forums a bit for advice on using the ASATs for slide. A couple posts recommend keeping the strings light on the newer models, and a couple of posts talk knowledgeably about the necessary neck relief. I'm wondering whether a set of heavy strings - say 11 or 12 to 52 - are suited to the ASAT Classic, and how many people play slide on the newer models?

Welcome! :wave:
I just recently relocated from West San Jose after almost 34 years there.
In case you missed this post: Welcome! Read This First. Check it out
as it will provide you with information on how to post photos (hint, hint).
And don't forget to add your Tribute AC to our G&L Registry.

:sign0011:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

Not the clearest picture, but I'll get some of those up later:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:52 pm

KenC, when you say your ASAT "didn't handle 11s well at all", what do you mean? Did you get neck problems or pup-height problems, or something else?

I've got the birdseye neck too, and so far no apparent issues with 11s, but I'm curious what your experience was.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 pm

dgrover wrote:KenC, when you say your ASAT "didn't handle 11s well at all", what do you mean? Did you get neck problems or pup-height problems, or something else?

I had problems with tuning stability. The truss rod was working very hard to hold the neck relief. It felt like the neck wasn't capable of holding that tension without a bit of movement.

Ken

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

KenC wrote:I had problems with tuning stability. The truss rod was working very hard to hold the neck relief. It felt like the neck wasn't capable of holding that tension without a bit of movement.

It may also be worth mentioning that my ASAT Classic had a very thin/narrow neck compared to most of the newer ones I've played. It's from the late 90s, but the profile feels really close to my mid-80s G&Ls. Yours may have a bit more wood to handle the increased tension.

Ken