Hello from Olympia, Wa.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello G&LDPers,

Here’s my intro, and a little background:

My name is Randy, and I’m a long time G&L player. I was pretty active on the early version of the G&LDP, and even have a few printouts from various conversations about amps, and such. I even scored an old 68 Fender Princeton amp (“birth year amp” conversation) from one of the members, who on request sent it to “Big Cookie” for a tune up, then he sent it on to me :) Maybe that will sound familiar to someone here…

Anyway, back in 1999 while in the Air Force, stationed in South Korea, I placed an order with Tim Page of Buffalo Bros. for a new Legacy. There was one catch though- I asked for the biggest V neck they would build. It took a while for the order, even delayed Tim’s then-new “Blues Boy” ASAT project. The Legacy came out fabulous, and has been a close companion over the last 14 years or so.

Then July 2008 my wife & I attended the G&L open house. We had an excellent visit, enjoyed some tasty food, met some friendly people, and even was lucky enough for Mrs. Phyllis Fender to sign the back of my old Legacy’s headstock. Fast-forward to today; I’m retired from the Air Force, attending college on the Post 9-11 GI-Bill (the Evergreen State College, Olympia WA.) and still playing on my old Legacy. She is still in excellent condition, the white finish has faded a bit, the stock pickups have been replaced with Kinmans some years ago, and the frets are a bit worn- a few in the upper register are starting to sprout a bit. I’ve been looking into a re-fret, which will probably happen in the near future. ‘Till then, we are still rocking. The old 68 Fender was sold just before we departed our last base (Dover, DE.) and replaced with a new Carvin X100B, 2x12 cab. My main gig is playing with our churches Praise & Worship band, and since the leader wants an amp-free stage I am usually playing through a Boss GT-100. Last week I picked up a Zoom G3, which has so far proven to be a fun little unit.

I’m looking forward to visiting with y’all here on the G&LDP!

P.S. here are a few photos I thought would be fun to include:

My white 1999 Legacy

Build info

Mrs. Phyllis Fender meeting in 2008

My favorite amp; nothing fancy, but I sure like it ;)

Tim sent along this T-shirt with the guitar. Still have it as well ☺

Re: Hello from Olympia, Wa.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Hey Randy! I'm a new face here, but I'm sure lots of guys will welcome an 'old' face back!

I'm just playing for pleasure these days (new G&L owner), but could slot into our church band any time I like... I was secretary of the choir, but gave that up to have more time for preaching. Most of the time we still have a choir, but we have a full band for 'family' services once a month. Only thing we are missing is a guitarist (previous one moved away) - but I'd still rather just sing most of the time, when I don't have other duties.

Is your Legacy your main P&W band guitar?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Greetings Randy from another calling the Pac NW home.

We've yet to have a NW just-a jam , hopefully a bunch of us can make it happen sometime.
Awesome looking Legacy with some good stories to go with it .
(Got a pic of the back of the neck showing that Fat 'V'?)
cheers,
Elwood

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Tanks guys~

The G&L shares duty as my main P&W guitar with a couple Carvins-; a CT & DC- both humbucker guitars- depending on the mix of songs. They have smaller necks than the G&L and when my tendinitis acts up, the smaller necks are a welcome change. It's a wonderful combination ;)

A NW jam sounds like fun... I'll post some photos of the neck tomorrow. I was looking at the email traffic I had with Tim while waiting for the guitar to be built- Ed Sebest, was the head of the factory then, and the one who made the neck. Tim said Ed was the only one who built the special necks, and mine was delaying one of his :)

Anyone know if Tim still drops in here? I think he'd enjoy knowing I still have the guitar :)

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Randy2012 wrote:
Anyone know if Tim still drops in here? I think he'd enjoy knowing I still have the guitar :)

Yep, you'll see him here on a fairly regular basis, that's sorta funny about the whole bluesboy delay :lol:

Elwood

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 am

Welcome back, Randy! :wave:

It's always great to have an "old time" member return. :thumbup:
Hope you like this updated G&LDP, updated almost 3 years ago.

I do remember "Big Cookie"; he just sorta disappeared from the G&LDP.
He's pictured in the 2002 "Just-A-Jam" playing an ASAT Junior in the Gallery.

Tim does pop up every once and awhile, but not a frequently as before due to his current day job.

:sign0005:

:ugeek:

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Randy2012 wrote:
Tim sent along this T-shirt with the guitar. Still have it as well ☺

Welcome (back) Randy! :greet: Thank you for your service to our country! Love the #3 neck, LOVE the T-Shirt. I have a clock with the same logo that came with an '87 Skyhawk sold to me by another long time member, Josey Whales.

Keep the Hobby Fun!

~JagInTheBag

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Here are a few photos of the guitars neck:

A comparison between my Carvin CT3 (left), and the G&L (right)
Its worth noting that the Carvin isn't a super thin- a bit like a Gibson slim taper (maybe a little thicker, and rounder at the shoulders)

Another angle between the two- this time, CT (right), G&L (left)

Angled on its own

Its great to be back on the forum!