SC-3 Questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and researching G&L Guitars on this website for a few years now. What an informative resource it is!

A few weeks ago I missed out on a serious deal (by a few hours!) for a US-made Comanche (I have some questions about the Z-Coil pickups, Z-3 and Comanche models to be posted elsewhere later). Since then an offer for an SC-3 has come this way. It's one of the pointy, non-Jaguar looking later models. My questions are:

- Did G&L have the middle pickup reverse wound for these models, or did that only start happening later with the S-500 models?
    - If the answer to the above question is "no", has anyone modified their SC-3 by having the middle MFD pickup rewound in reverse (and how does it sound)?
    - Is there anyone who makes replica black crinkle replacement parts for G&L Guitars from this era? I'm assuming G&L no longer does.
    - Are the SC-3 owners on this forum generally happy with this model? I used to be a Tele/Seth Lover humbucker player, but have been leaning towards something more Strat-like in recent years. Many people seem to say the SC-3is like a Strat, only better made.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Re: SC-3 Questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Welcome,
I heard it on very good authority the best Strat Leo ever made was the S -500. I 'm not sure about your other questions but a Mahogany body S- 500 is the top of the mountain.
Anthony

Re: SC-3 Questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm

electrodyne wrote:Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and researching G&L Guitars on this website for a few years now. What an informative resource it is!

A few weeks ago I missed out on a serious deal (by a few hours!) for a US-made Comanche (I have some questions about the Z-Coil pickups, Z-3 and Comanche models to be posted elsewhere later). Since then an offer for an SC-3 has come this way. It's one of the pointy, non-Jaguar looking later models. My questions are:

- Did G&L have the middle pickup reverse wound for these models, or did that only start happening later with the S-500 models?
    - If the answer to the above question is "no", has anyone modified their SC-3 by having the middle MFD pickup rewound in reverse (and how does it sound)?
    - Is there anyone who makes replica black crinkle replacement parts for G&L Guitars from this era? I'm assuming G&L no longer does.
    - Are the SC-3 owners on this forum generally happy with this model? I used to be a Tele/Seth Lover humbucker player, but have been leaning towards something more Strat-like in recent years. Many people seem to say the SC-3is like a Strat, only better made.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Welcome! :greet:

AFAIK all 3 pickup G&L guitars have a RWRP pickup in the middle position.

We have two possible sources for black crinkle replacement parts listed on the Links page.
Look for ESI and Tone-Guard there and you find the link for each.

For more information on SC-3's see this post: G&L SC-3 in the G&L Knowlegdgebase, General G&L Questions sub-forum.

Please do post a photo of your SC-3 and add it to our G&L Registry. See Welcome! Read This First for
information about the G&L Forum (aka G&LDP) and how to post photos here.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: