Hello from Yorkshire, England.....

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 am

Hello to all the fine folk here.
It almost seem premature to introduce myself, as my 'new' guitar hasn't arrived yet.

Just to introduce myself.... I'm going to be known as Goat here. I'm often called Goat or Shug, and could have picked either, but Goat it is!

I'm returning to playing guitar after a long lay-off; life got in the way and still is, but I will make time.

My main instrument is bagpipes, but it's really hard to sing and play 'pipes at the same time :roll: so I decided it was time to dig into my closet and pull out one of my guitars. I've been a bit of a collector in the past, but currently am down to 3 guitars - a 1996 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe which I bought new in '96, a Yamaha Silent Guitar, and an Epiphone Chet Atkins SST Classic 2.0.

I recently sold an unplayed '08 Strat to a friend, and decided to replace it with something with humbuckers.
I've only ever owned one guitar with humbuckers; a LP copy which I lent to a friend who was starting a band. The band became very successful for a few years and I didn't see that guitar for a while... the next time I saw it was in a photo. A photo of it floating in a swimming pool after a gig in Spain! I read a test on a G&L years ago in a magazine, and it left a 'bookmark' in my subconscious that I would one day buy one.

I thought a Bluesboy would be fun. There are not many G&Ls in the UK it seems, and nothing local to check out, so I hit up ebay. And I found something I fancied. Not a Bluesboy, but an ASAT Deluxe. That was late on New Years Eve, and I thought it would be a nice way to end the year, so I impulse bought it. It should be dispatched by Fedex today on a 3 day delivery, so I have something to look forward to!
Not sure if the price was a bit steep, as the guy had put it on ebay before without takers, but it was £1070 (checked rules and OK to post 2nd hand £!).
It looks to be quite a lot of guitar at that price, so I'm happy, assuming it matches the ebay description!

Hopefully this pic from ebay will come out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrc1/8342136676/in/photostream

I'll add it to the registry once I have it in my sweaty hooves! ;)
I look forward to reading more here.

All the best to y'all,
Goat

Re: Hello from Yorkshire, England.....

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 am

ASAT 2 by A Goat 2, on Flickr

That is a beauty Goat! Thank you for sharing! Please be sure to put into the registry.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Goat,

Welcome to the forum! And great looking DeLuxe. And since you bring up the price, when converting £ to $ and then checking the Blue Book value, it turns out that you paid more or less a fair price for a Deluxe in Mint condition. Especially when your number includes S/H.

Good luck with your new toy. Pretty sure you'll enjoy the 'beast'.

- Jos

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am

Welcome, Goat! :wave:

You've got a beauty and I bet it sounds as good as it looks. :thumbup:

Enjoy.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome goat!

I dig that color. There are plenty of rock songs with bag pipes. You will fit right in.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 am

Thank you for the warm welcome gents!

I've been playing around in the test area to try to get an inline image, as JagInTheBag has done, and keep getting 'not possible to determine the size of the image'.
I've tried the Img, thumb= and timage= without success, with the same image url as shows when I point my cursor at the pic JagITB put up, so not sure what I'm doing wrong!

Also went to the registry to put up the details: Can you gents help me with the descriptions? You're more familiar with them than am I!

I know the serial# as it's on the photos. CLF47168

I don't know if there is a specific description for the colour - one of the photos from ebay that I've put up on Flickr show the colour quite a bit darker than the inline image above.

I assume the body wood on the ASAT Deluxe is Mahogany with the quilted maple cap?

And I'm guessing that's a saddlelock bridge?

I'm sure the details are 'editable' but would like to get it mostly right to start with. :)

Thanks for the nice comments. I can't wait for the 'beast' to arrive now! I normally name my guitars after the first attractive girl I talk to after I buy them. The guitar that is... not the girl. :lol:

Edit: OK, worked out the inline:
ASAT 3 by A Goat 2, on Flickr

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Just to make sure I've got the hang of this:
ASAT 1 by A Goat 2, on Flickr

Less text than I've ever seen on a G&L headstock! Is that common?

ASAT 4 by A Goat 2, on Flickr

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Goat wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome gents!
Also went to the registry to put up the details: Can you gents help me with the descriptions? You're more familiar with them than am I!

I know the serial# as it's on the photos. CLF47168

I don't know if there is a specific description for the colour - one of the photos from ebay that I've put up on Flickr show the colour quite a bit darker than the inline image above.

I assume the body wood on the ASAT Deluxe is Mahogany with the quilted maple cap?

And I'm guessing that's a saddlelock bridge?

I'm sure the details are 'editable' but would like to get it mostly right to start with. :)

Hey Goat,

From your picture, the color looks to me like Clear Red. When you have your Deluxe in hand, you can compare it with the guitar shown in the aforementioned link. Board is Rosewood. Body is Maple cap/Mahogany body, and you can put 'Quilted Maple top' in the description field. Bridge is indeed SaddleLock.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank you Jos. Much appreciated!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Goat,

From your picture, the color looks to me like Clear Red. When you have your Deluxe in hand, you can compare it with the guitar shown in the aforementioned link. Board is Rosewood. Body is Maple cap/Mahogany body, and you can put 'Quilted Maple top' in the description field. Bridge is indeed SaddleLock.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Jos, I have to disagree, that looks like Clear Orange over Quilted Maple, check it out:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Gorgeous plank mate! That quilt has got some serious pizazz :shock:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Welcome, Goat! Your soon-to-be ASAT Deluxe is gorgeous.

Ken

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:00 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Jos, I have to disagree, that looks like Clear Orange over Quilted Maple

That was be my second choice and I was wavering what color to mention. But this pic looks darker, and made me pick Clear Red:
hence my remark for checking it with guitar in hand. But it is one of the two.

- Jos

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:02 am

Well she's on her way; tracking number recieved.

I asked the seller a couple of questions out of interest, and he replied:

I bought the guitar new from US distributor late 2011 and she was added to the collection. I haven't checked the serial number so i'm not sure if she was manuf. in 11 or 10. Mid 2012, I was recommended to entrust her to Chris McIntyre for a pro setup. He was the original luthier for Sei custom basses back in the 90's and now rotates between Edinburgh and London to work for various artists.
Strings are 10s and a brand that Chris stocks (directly from the gibson factory) I had supplied a set of David Gilmour GHS bloomers....which he dismissed instantly as poor quality :-) He insists that strings are replaced in conjunction with the setup (even on a brand new guitar) as all adjustments are particular to string guage and player preference.

Neck was adjusted, intonation set, electrics checked and nut replaced with Nyloc.
The action is comfortably low. Apart from a quick test she hasn't been played.
Plays great and sounds huge.

The visit was quite an eye-opener though ...... I also brought-in two Fender custom shop basses for setup and Chris immediately pointed out mis-alignment of bridge, bad string spacing and poor neck setup.........on custom shop instruments ! .........partially explains why US guitars got overtaken by made-in-Japan guitars during the 90's. Also, I believe one of the reasons why companies like G&L, Heritage, PRS came-about to restore US reputation and have done such a great job.

So I'm really looking forward to Fedex knocking on my door! :D

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

:greet:
She's arrived, acclimatised for 10 hours, been unboxed, plugged in and played, and :banana: :thumbup:

Superb. She's everything she looks in the pictures. Still has the plastic over the cover on the back. Not a mark anywhere. Single piece body; the back is lovely too.

Sounds great, plays beautifully. I'm a very happy goat! :happy0007:

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Goat wrote::greet:
She's arrived, acclimatised for 10 hours, been unboxed, plugged in and played, and :banana: :thumbup:

Superb. She's everything she looks in the pictures. Still has the plastic over the cover on the back. Not a mark anywhere. Single piece body; the back is lovely too.

Great to hear. So, tell us, is it orange or red? Out of curiosity- what are you playing through?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:

Great to hear. So, tell us, is it orange or red? Out of curiosity- what are you playing through?

She's orange. As I've not been playing for a while, the only amps I still have around are a Marshall 12W practice amp I bought 30 years ago, a Roland Microcube, and a Vox Amplug AC30 (for when I don't want to terrify the cat)!
Haven't tried it through the Marshall yet, but the Roland gives me a good idea of the sounds. I really like the Microcube as a practice amp.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello and welcome frome one new member to another!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Beautiful guitar Goat! :luv:

clear orange has always been a favorite of mine, glad she arrived safely

-Dave

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

did you take the neck off? a single piece body would be unlikely imnsho.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 am

louis cyfer wrote:did you take the neck off? a single piece body would be unlikely imnsho.

Surprised me. I was expecting 2. It's clear varnish so tthe grain can be seen throughout, with no breaks. I'll take some photos later and put them up here.
Last edited by Goat on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Not the best photos, but hopefully the contiguous grain shows up in the pics. Those aren't marks in the finish - I need to clean my lens! :) :oops:

IMG_2890 by A Goat 2, on Flickr[img]
IMG_2898 by A Goat 2, on Flickr[/img]
IMG_2899 by A Goat 2, on Flickr

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

:banana: :banana: Gotta love a slab body! :banana: :banana:

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Yep. She's official now - in the registry. :happy0007: