G&L Trib ASAT Classic

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Unbelievable. Thank You G&L for this beautiful instrument. I had a limited budget- and I set out to buy the best I could- name brand or not. I tried everything from everybody and the ASAT Classic was the one for me. Knew it the first time I plugged it in at the store. Tobacco Sunburst. I did good.

My bassist plays a G&L, and I couldn't get over how nice I thought his is. I know it sounds like marketing, but you really tell the difference when you pick up a G&L. Everything- Tuners, Knobs, Switches, Nut, Bridge- all of it is dripping quality. The mindblower is I have that same feeling about my Tribute series- but I'm in it for less than $500!!!!!!!!

Well it came on Monday, and I was stunned. OMG it's perfect. The Nut was cut perfectly, the bridge saddles all setup perfectly. Fit and finish all perfect. More importantly, plug it in and, oh my.... The neck is just right for me: Narrow but "tall" if you know what I mean- exactly like a '52 tele. I play alot of rhythm, and this style gives my fingers the most leverage when playing barre chords, and otherwise doesn't get in my way.

I love the way the ASAT will ring out open position chords true: and then when you lay down equivalent chords in higher fret positions, you stay true. Very helpful in Beatles songs for example: when I have "John" harmony parts and I have to share the mike with the bassist, it's nice to play all the chords for that chorus in open position fingerings. On my F Strat (MEX), I don't trust any of the open position chords to sound right in a gig setting. When I set up the ASAT with the neck pickup, and the tone turned down and a little reverb, the ASAT will sing almost like a big hollowbody country gentlemen at least well enough to lay down almost any pre-'66 beatles number. Then, switch to bridge pickup, turn the tone back up and crank out virtually anything out of Keith's catalog.

I've spent 3 times this much for a guitar and gotten half of what I got from G&L. Thanks guys. When I get my kids through school, I'll be looking around for one of the Fullerton versions, but in the meantime, G&L should be praised for making a "real" musical instrument at this price. I have some other guitars that I don't want to offend anybody, but... just got kicked to the curb by my Trib ASAT Classic.

Thanks Everybody, Happy to be here, and PEACE

-Tim

Re: G&L Trib ASAT Classic

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Tim! Congrats on your new G&L! 8-) Put up some photos so we can see it.

Don't forget to add your serial number to the Registry.

If you are like a lot of us, you will soon own more G&L guitars. ;)

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Welcome TMO. A lot of us share your observations and views.Congrats!-- Darwin

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi guys-
Darwin I really dig that guitar in your sig. Made me think of Don Rich and Buck Owens. Gorgeous.

Here's mine:
Glam Shot
The Business End
This was just mindblowingly "right":
From the other end:
Headstock:
Some idiot who broke into my house and took a selfpic:

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Tim,

Welcome to the forum and what a great looking guitar! :happy0065:

- Jos

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Sweet one TMO! Welcome to the family.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 am

you might want to check the intonation. the saddles look a bit funky alignment wise.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks Louis,
I thought that too (like high E needs a couple turns out). 6,5,4 look just right. 3 is a little low but length is just right. 1 definitely looks short. Perfect setup for a thumbpicker. I may set it up a little more arched at the bridge. Funny thing is that it tunes well on both open and 5/12 harmonics. I can't even begin to bs on this topic, but the guy does my tech knows what he's doing and he'll get it right. Thanks for the lookin' out.

The plan is to keep playing the crap out of it. I really want to have a few hours so I can figure out what I want. Then I'll take it over to my tech and get it "perfect" whatever that means ;).

Man it really sounds good though. Loving it.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:15 pm

TMO, thanks on the Gold Sparkle ASAT. There are several on the forum who have these G&L flake finishes and they are very unique. No other manufacturer has anything even close. They are bling! You have a very nice ASAT.-- Darwin.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Tim,

Welcome! That's a gorgeous guitar. My "gateway" G&L was a blonde ASAT Classic. These really can cover a lot of bases, but they also create a desire for more...

Ken