New Tribute Comanche owner

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi all! Just bought a 2012 Tribute Comanche on the weekend and I can't properly say just how much I love it. It plays really nicely, the mahogany body's wonderfully resonant and the tonal range is absolutely fantastic. If work didn't keep getting in the way, I wouldn't have put it down between then and now :)
Anyway, hi to everyone else on the forum, catchya in the posts!

Re: New Tribute Comanche owner

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 am

welcome. glad you like it. there are a few guys around here that don't mind g&l's.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:22 am

patricks wrote:Hi all! Just bought a 2012 Tribute Comanche on the weekend and I can't properly say just how much I love it. It plays really nicely, the mahogany body's wonderfully resonant and the tonal range is absolutely fantastic. If work didn't keep getting in the way, I wouldn't have put it down between then and now :)
Anyway, hi to everyone else on the forum, catchya in the posts!

Welcome! :wave:

Please check out this post: Welcome! Read This First.

We'd love to see a photo of your guitar. :searching:
How did you find out about G&L and our site?
Where are you located?
What will your next G&L be? ;)

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi, thanks for the pointer to the info :thumbup:

Here's a photo of the guitar, I love the black on black on black

My other pride and joy is my hand-made classical guitar, made for me by a guy named Simon Rovis-Hermann in Western Australia

As far as the other questions go, hmm, let's see...
I first found out about G&L around 3 years ago at Pro Guitar Shop in Portland, Oregon. I wandered in and had a chat with the guys (wonderful shop, great people and the best video reviews of guitars and pedals on their site) and they had nothing but good things to say about G&L. Over time I heard a bit more here and there, through web reviews, local music shops, etc (I came across the GBL site while doing lots and lots of internet research). When I started doing serious "new guitar" homework a couple of weeks ago I played a few (the tribute Comanche, S-500, Legacy and ASAT Bluesboy) at my local music shop in Davis, California and fell in love with the Comanche.
It's funny, though, that the opinions I read online gave me the impression that I'd like G&Ls and the Comanche in particular and then it was actually true! All the internet research in the world means nothing until you actually play the guitar, so it's nice how things like that work out.
Actually, speaking of my local music shop, they love G&Ls so much that they're deliberately stocking less of a certain similar guitar brand so that they can stock more G&Ls 8-)

Now, my next G&L, hmmm...
Probably a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy semi-hollow, but I may save up and splash out on a USA model.

If my powerball numbers come up and I can totally geek out, here's what I'll get: :ugeek:
Comanche, mahogany or Korina body with a natural finish, DFS bridge upgrade, quartersawn maple neck with ebony fretboard, stainless frets, no fret marker dots, reverse headstock with locking tuners, graph-tec nut, black pickup covers, black knurled knobs and no pickguard.
If I can have two, it'll be the above plus an ASAT Bluesboy semi-hollow in similar spec but with a bone nut in place of the graph-tec, an overwound bridge pickup and body binding. Maybe a small one-ply black pickguard, too. I'd have to ask the people at the factory really nicely, but since this is my fantasy and I've won the powerball then they've already said "yes" :lol:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:53 pm

How did that Powerball thing work out? Yeah, me too.

Welcome, btw! - ed

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 am

Welcome Patricks
patricks wrote:My other pride and joy is my hand-made classical guitar, made for me by a guy named Simon Rovis-Hermann in Western Australia
So how did a guy hanging out in Portland and Davis connect with Simon? Simon has been steadily building a well earned great reputation for his work over the last decade or two. Knows his art and a is a really nice guy to boot (Perth/Fremantle is probably the worlds biggest small town!).
cheers, Robbie

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 am

Aussie wrote:Welcome Patricks
patricks wrote:My other pride and joy is my hand-made classical guitar, made for me by a guy named Simon Rovis-Hermann in Western Australia
So how did a guy hanging out in Portland and Davis connect with Simon? Simon has been steadily building a well earned great reputation for his work over the last decade or two. Knows his art and a is a really nice guy to boot (Perth/Fremantle is probably the worlds biggest small town!).
cheers, Robbie

have you tried smallman classicals.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 am

louis cyfer wrote:have you tried smallman classicals.
Since they moved to Esperance on WA's South East coast I've tried a couple of times to get out to their workshop while I've been down there with work. I haven't been able to negotiate that so far, but then again I'm by no means the only one who's tried without sucess - I think part of the reason they moved to Esperance was its remoteness (as well as being a beautiful part of the world). While I'm not a classical guitarist and would probably miss some of the finer points of their creations, I'd love a chance to watch and talk with them. Any hints that might get me that invitation or good questions I should ask if and when I ever do?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 am

[quote=So how did a guy hanging out in Portland and Davis connect with Simon? Simon has been steadily building a well earned great reputation for his work over the last decade or two. Knows his art and a is a really nice guy to boot (Perth/Fremantle is probably the worlds biggest small town!).
cheers, Robbie[/quote]

I met Simon back when he'd only been selling his guitars for a few years, mine's number 14. The first year out of high school, I did the certificate course at WAAPA (WA Academy of Performing Arts) and met Alan Banks, who's a good friend of Simon's so I got to meet him that way. Simon himself was about 50% of the reason I got one of his guitars, I'd played a couple and loved them, but hanging out with him sealed the deal. The way he talked about tonewoods and construction styles, plus the twinkle in his eye when he was asking me about the sort of sounds I wanted out of a guitar just clicked with me.

have you tried smallman classicals.

Smallmans are great, so clever the way he's developed his construction methods and they sound brilliant. I didn't know they'd moved to Esperance, I'm behind the times! No idea how you'd manage to swing an invite down there, I met Damon and Kym at the Darwin guitar festival ages and ages ago, I've only been to one, though, so I don't know how often they go to them. Apart from that, you might have to try some friendly stalking, get to know people that they know. The quickest way would probably be to order a guitar, but the last time I checked the entry price was around $20k and that's too rich for my blood at the moment :lol:
As far as questions go, anything would do. They can wax lyrical about lattice bracing and carbon fibre reinforcement, so once you get started it won't be a problem. The technical specs really are amazing, the tops are around 0.8mm thick in some places, thinner than a sheet of paper 8-)