new to forum and G&L

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Hello folks- I just wanted to say hello. I'd been on the lookout for a Highway One Tele for a while, but ran across an absolute steal on what appears to be a 2007 USA ASAT Special. ($650). Sometimes its good living near Nashville where there are plenty of struggling musicians who occasionally have to part with a beloved piece of equipment. Its taking some getting used to, as I've never played a baseball bat neck before, but I'm slowly adapting and the sound just keeps getting better. I love that I can throw a pedal in front and play the rock stuff that is at my skill level right now, and as I learn more, be able to branch out into more advanced blues or country with the same guitar. This thing is incredible!

Re: new to forum and G&L

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Great deal on your ASAT. Post some pics and register it here.

Its taking some getting used to, as I've never played a baseball bat neck before

Other than the 1C "Modern U" neck (which I have never really seen), I wouldn't think of any of the other profiles as "baseball bat". I wonder which neck your ASAT has.

Maybe you could take some measurements and compare it to these specs: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... guitar.asp

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Welcome. ASATs are incredibly versatile guitars. I sold one of mine to a friend last week, and listened to him run it through the gamut from Black Sabbath country licks, going straight into the amp (an old Fender Bassman). The guitar's controls alone are able to cover a tremendous range, without resorting to pedals.

I'm sure you'll continue to love yours. Pics would be great...

Ken

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 pm

ShokZmunky wrote:Hello folks- I just wanted to say hello. I'd been on the lookout for a Highway One Tele for a while, but ran across an absolute steal on what appears to be a 2007 USA ASAT Special. ($650). Sometimes its good living near Nashville where there are plenty of struggling musicians who occasionally have to part with a beloved piece of equipment. Its taking some getting used to, as I've never played a baseball bat neck before, but I'm slowly adapting and the sound just keeps getting better. I love that I can throw a pedal in front and play the rock stuff that is at my skill level right now, and as I learn more, be able to branch out into more advanced blues or country with the same guitar. This thing is incredible!

Welcome! :wave:

Please do take a moment to read the Welcome! Read This First post.
It will tell you how to post photos and we definitely want to see your ASAT Special. :searching:

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm

http://i.pgu.me/olEX0QyV_original.jpg

I'm not sure if its a special order neck or what, but it is much fatter than any of my other guitar necks (MIJ Jackson Dinky, 95 Strat, & Godin G1000). I've never played another ASAT so I can't compare.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Eddie here is something strange- I stopped by GC in Louisville today & fondled about 30 necks- none were as fat as my ASAT. Granted GC doesn't have the greatest variety (except for shredders). When I get home in a couple days I'll take a pic, maybe with a ruler perpendicular?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Some of the newer G&Ls I've played had huge necks. I'm not sure of the current profile numbers, but they are much much deeper and thicker than any G&Ls I've played from the 80s or 90s. They were also much bigger than any Fender or newer Gibson I've played.

Ken

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I couldn't find a very scientific way to measure, so I gripped the bottom of my ASAT, then my Strat, in the same position and measured how much 'thumb' I have poking over the top of the board. With the ASAT it was about 5 to 7mm deeper. The more I get used to it, the better I like it. Plus there is the school of thought that more wood equals more tone, and I need all the help I can get!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:04 am

ShokZmunky wrote:I couldn't find a very scientific way to measure, so I gripped the bottom of my ASAT, then my Strat, in the same position and measured how much 'thumb' I have poking over the top of the board. With the ASAT it was about 5 to 7mm deeper. The more I get used to it, the better I like it. Plus there is the school of thought that more wood equals more tone, and I need all the help I can get!

the term "more tone" is a pretty bad one, as tone is a quality thing, not a quantity thing. you want better tone, not more tone, whatever that may mean.