new to forum

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 am

whats up everyone, my name is john and i own a 1981 L-1000. Im not trying to sell it but i am interested in its value. Ive owned it for around & or more years and when i check ebay i cant believe some of the prices ive seen! for such an incredible instrument i cant believe how dirt cheap they are or the fact that they get zero bids/ no interest.
i love G&L 's and am pretty excited i found this forum. I used to be a member of the dudepit but that site seems to have vanished awhile back.
John

Re: new to forum

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Hey There !
Gotta love them G&Ls! Low priced, USED!
Have fun! Lots of PROS on here ....Im not one, but do listen to the ones that are!
Enjoy!
Steve

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I checked the price for an early '80s L-1000 in the Blue Book and it is being listed between $1,075 for an as new instrument, to $900 for mint, to $475(!) for good. Yup, it is not what you would pay for certain models for other brands. But it is still better than what you'd get for e.g. an '81 US built Fender Musicmaster bass and comparable to an '81 US built Fender Mustang bass.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Welcome, John! I love the photos you posted in the other thread. I'm also a big fan of the early L-series basses.

I've noticed several L-1000s on eBay over the past several months, and yes, they sit there. IMO those instruments are way overpriced, and most of them had been modded (especially with extra pickups) or had been badly refinished. I picked one up as a rescue about eight months ago (refinished with a spray can and put back together wet). It wasn't getting any bids around $500, so I jumped on it at the last minute. I was looking for a project, and was afraid this one would be parted out. It's the exact same vintage as yours (11/81 body and 1/82 neck), with the same chrome control plate, smooth black bridge and slotted pole pieces.

We can't discuss new G&L prices here (forum rules), but I think it's safe to say that 1980-82 L-1000s can be found pretty easily for about $800-900. A 'hog body will go for slightly more than swamp ash in most cases.

I played an '82 L1K in a local shop a couple of weeks ago, followed by a '60 Fender Precision (not a reissue). The L-1000 played exactly like the old P-bass (I thought my L1K and L2KE played better than either of them).

Ken

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:43 pm

'81 L1K's are great!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/edandiz/BassGuitar/DSC_0049.jpg?t=1310263989

Enjoy, and welcome! - ed