A new fan! ASAT Z3

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Hey guys! Cool forum you've got here.

My name is Ed, and I run a guitar review site called Six-String Samurai (http://www.six-string-samurai.com). Recently one of my new retail contacts provided me with an ASAT Z3 to play, and boy was I floored!!

I've always been 50-50 on the headstock design (a polarizing factor if there ever was one), and a few years ago I owned a Tribute ASAT that I wasn't particularly enamoured with, but this has changed it all for me!! Honestly, aesthetics don't matter when a guitar plays, and sounds this good!!

Here's a link to the review, which includes pics and soundclips too! If that should be posted in the audio clips section just let me know!

Cheers!

:mrgreen:

Re: A new fan! ASAT Z3

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi there Ed San,

Welcome to the forum. And to most of us here, your review does not come as a surprise of course. G&L builds some of the finest bolt-on guitars today. And then there is that whole Leo-era mojo thing too for the older models.

Funny how a 'hook' can turn people off. Usually amongst guitar players a nice hook is highly appreciated ;)

- Jos

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks man!

Well I guess the unfortunate truth is that we buy with our eyes first of all! Some guys who read my review commented that they thought the Z-coil pickups looks terrible, but to be honest, I think they look pretty cool.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

sixstringsamurai wrote:Well I guess the unfortunate truth is that we buy with our eyes first of all!

On top of that, they mightnot even know that Leo produced MM and G&L instruments later in life and just want to have that 'Fender' logo on the headstock. Even if it is an inferior guitar price/quality wise. Oh well ...

- Jos

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am

sixstringsamurai wrote:Thanks man!

Well I guess the unfortunate truth is that we buy with our eyes first of all! Some guys who read my review commented that they thought the Z-coil pickups looks terrible, but to be honest, I think they look pretty cool.

I think they look cool too -- they're recognizable at a glance, which isn't the case for many single coil pups.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
sixstringsamurai wrote:Well I guess the unfortunate truth is that we buy with our eyes first of all!

On top of that, they mightnot even know that Leo produced MM and G&L instruments later in life and just want to have that 'Fender' logo on the headstock. Even if it is an inferior guitar price/quality wise. Oh well ...

- Jos

I've run into this all the time. People don't know what it is an assume its a lesser instrument. Then they hear it and everything changes. :happy0007:

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:56 am

As Jos said, welcome aboard! I know you'll end up with more than one G&L in your corral as most of us can't get enough of these guitars.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Unfortunately this one had to go back to the shop as it was only a review unit - I'm sorely missing it! But I'll definitely be looking to get more G&L gear to demo in future! I really like the look of the Comanche.

Thanks for checking out the review too :)