First post with a few questions

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Hello all,

After 25 years, just picked up my guitar again (F100 Series II). I am really enjoying playing again but have a few questions. I am a bit confused about the finish, I think it's poly but want to make sure as I bought a guitar stand that isn't good for nitro and don't want to damage the guitar. Seems like a lot of people that are selling them always refer to the nitro finish.

Also, I am trying to get a good understanding of what each of the controls do. I didn't really take the time to learn my guitar when I was younger and now find myself wanting to understand it a bit more. Can anyone help? Thanks very much.

Re: First post with a few questions

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi menfous,

Copies of F-100E and F-100 instruction sheets can be found in the Gallery. And depending on color and year of your guitar, the ginish may nitro or poly. Visit Greg's website here and check out the 3 F-100 entries; the 1984 version is non-transparent black with poly finish, but the older ones have transparent nitro finishes.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 pm

I thought Fred mentioned in one of his first posts that they used nitro as a clear topcoat on all guitars in the early days. I will need to go back and find that thread, unless Fred stops by an comments first.

Ken

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am

Thanks very much for this info. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I believe my F100 is from 1981 based on the Serial number I found. It's a Natural Glossy finish according to what I found in my research. That now leads me to believe it is a nitro finish so I will have to replace the stand for that guitar. I appreciate the quick responses.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:53 am

Menfous,
Ken is correct on his comment about the finish. Nitro was applied as a topcoat on all models at least through 1985. After I left, in Dec. of '85 it might have changed but i don't believe the topcoats changed right away. The confusion comes in because in '84 or '85 we began to use a two part polyurethane base coat under the color coats. This was done to speed up drying times as well as reduce steps because the urethane had more solids than nitro. This also had less shrinkage so the grains could be covered better also. Hope this helps,
Fred

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for that info. I started looking around at a good stand but it seems like the best bet is just to cover the existing stand. I know Hercules are supposed to be good for nitro finishes but they still have a disclaimer saying that all finishes are different and they have not tested them all. Would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm

menfous wrote: Would rather be safe than sorry.

Good point. I got my '86 Superhawk for a steal because a previous owner left it on a stand. The front is clean, but the back looks like somebody painted on it with fingernail polish. I thought it was a very bad attempt at decoration at first, until I noticed the shape of the stand in the mess.

Ken