New owner

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Just got a new 2010 Tobacco sunburst USA Legacy and loving it...I must admit I was originally a little disapointed...frets were a little tarnished and a couple of the frets seemed to have some varnish or something left on them...anyway, taped off the neck and did the steel wool(super fine) followed by some "Mothers" automotive mag polish and the difference is night and day...all the varnish or residue is gone and frets are shining like a mirror...also did a real clean up of the neck...it has a satin finish...used some "Old English" lemon oil on the fretboard and neck back...replaced strings and I am totally impressed at how great the neck feels....I attribute the fret condition from sitting on the music store shelf for almost 2 years...probably had lots of fingers on it, so I don't blame anybody really...just glad I spent the time on a fret polish...feels great now...really liking it so far...playin through a Vox AC15...BBE Orange Squash compressor...MXR Phase 90....Xotic Effects AC Plus....Analogman MIni Chorus with the trim pot......Absolutly Nails 70's rock sound.... :evilgrin: Lovin every minute of it..... :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

Re: New owner

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Welcome! :wave:

I see your guitar in your avatar. Perhaps you could post a larger photo of it. In case you have not checked out the Welcome! Read This First post,
you will find some info on posting photos on this site.

:sign0011:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 am

Craig wrote:Welcome! :wave:

I see your guitar in your avatar. Perhaps you could post a larger photo of it. In case you have not checked out the Welcome! Read This First post,

it's in the gallery, but lately only 150x150 shows up in the gallery.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Craig wrote:Welcome! :wave:

it's in the gallery, but lately only 150x150 shows up in the gallery.

This too has been fixed. The Gallery software appears to have a problem with viewing permissions for new accounts. :problem:

Here is the full size image:

:sign0005:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 pm

k....well after about a week of noodling around, I got somewhat of a review....playability is really nice now.....pup seem very responsive and clear...they seem a little bright and quacky...Im so used to playing my tele...havent had a strat in sometime, so its taking abit to get use too..still getting use to the tone controls too...I believe I had my last strat set up with the middle pick up out of the tone loop all together....the bridge pup was wired to the tone controls...think jeff beck set up if I remember right...I have la grange "Big Bottom" pup's set up in my tele and I find these pup's abit thin on the G&L....but like I said playability is really nice...clear and crisp..the only other con I have with this guitar is the tremolo or whammy bar, is bent to the wrong angle...when I install it in the guitar, even if I install it high with the nut tight, it will work its way into the arm hole and when i move it out of the way it will move the pup selector switch...I play with the middle pup a far bit and the arm will hit and move the pup switch everytime if I dont pay attention...been thinking on putting the arm in a vice and bending the arm to a little over 90 degrees to keep it out of the way...does anyone else have this issue??....cheers

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:08 am

Welcome Steve!!
I have a legacy special that I simply cant put down! I also have a comanche so that tells ya how much I love my Legacy!
Have fun! I dont have any prob w/trem arm just tighten up a little to stay out of my way!
Steve

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am

k... :crazy: :shh: :shifty: well after a little more noodling i figured out what was wrong with the trem arm...are ya ready..lol...the little white nob that is on the end of the pup selector switch was sitting to high on the toggle switch..I simple pushed it onto the selector, didn't relize before that it was sitting high...feel kinda stupid...although I am glad I didn't do anything drastic...lmao..put myself through a good week or so of stress over it... :shocked003: but all is good now. :mrgreen: and to top it all of...I ended up takin it to my lutherian to have a professional set-up done on it and decided to have the tremolo blocked...lol...i never really use it anyway.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:27 pm

smokensteve wrote:k... :crazy: :shh: :shifty: well after a little more noodling i figured out what was wrong with the trem arm...are ya ready..lol...the little white nob that is on the end of the pup selector switch was sitting to high on the toggle switch..I simple pushed it onto the selector, didn't relize before that it was sitting high...feel kinda stupid...although I am glad I didn't do anything drastic...lmao..put myself through a good week or so of stress over it... :shocked003: but all is good now. :mrgreen: and to top it all of...I ended up takin it to my lutherian to have a professional set-up done on it and decided to have the tremolo blocked...lol...i never really use it anyway.

don't block it. it's the best trem in the business and there is nothing quite like the shimmer of a chord with the trem, also some great vibrato on fretted or open notes. the tuning stays very stable as well.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 am

louis cyfer wrote:don't block it. it's the best trem in the business and there is nothing quite like the shimmer of a chord with the trem, also some great vibrato on fretted or open notes. the tuning stays very stable as well.

There are only a few things that louis and I agree on in the world. THIS is one of them. :happy0007:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 am

I do like the sound you get using the trem with full chords...but i do like alot of bending and with open strings sometimes and when I bend, if I dont block the trem, I end up pulling other open strings out of tune....and really I don't use the trem alot anyway....not into dive bombs and all that stuff...I would end up just sounding surfy...lol

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:09 pm

smokensteve wrote:I do like the sound you get using the trem with full chords...but i do like alot of bending and with open strings sometimes and when I bend, if I dont block the trem, I end up pulling other open strings out of tune....and really I don't use the trem alot anyway....not into dive bombs and all that stuff...I would end up just sounding surfy...lol

it's called tremol-no. you put it in the back, no mods to the guitar and you can lock the trem or run it free.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:10 am

If you want to use a tremol-no, you DO have to mod the guitar. The trem claw of G&Ls have different spacing for the two screws, so you will have to drill new screw holes. Depending on the angle of the screws, you might have to fill the old holes as well.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:59 am

PLEASE DONT SINK HOLES IN THAT GTR!!!!!LOL
Steve

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 am

timewave wrote:PLEASE DONT SINK HOLES IN THAT GTR!!!!!LOL
Steve

+1 ^

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 pm

well thats screwed....who the hell in there right mind would re drill holes for the trem...that just sounds completely idiot...lol...I don't believe for a second that G&L would put a system on a guitar that is totally screwed up, according to rocktacular...you can't be serious..

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:28 pm

smokensteve wrote:well thats screwed....who the hell in there right mind would re drill holes for the trem...that just sounds completely idiot...lol...I don't believe for a second that G&L would put a system on a guitar that is totally screwed up, according to rocktacular...you can't be serious..

you misunderstand. the trem is not screwed up at all. but the trem claw screws are in different places than fender. if you need new holes it would be under the back cover for the trem claw, never to be seen by anyone. but tremolno is a way to have both hardtail and trem available.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 am

this isn't a fender....with all respect..I don't understand what you are getting at....no much sence in my book....this is a G&L not a fender...what fender does is of no meaning to mean with this G&L...what makes you think they are in the wrong spot or wrong size screws or whatever..I really dont think Leo would build somethnig that needs to be modified for it to work properly...I really dont understand what you are getting at...

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:59 am

k...I was not familiar with this tremol-no....just viewed a clip on you tube..I still am against moding this guitar....I may use the trem later on...but right now I am enjoying the blocked trem...I was never a fan of buying a guitar and moding it..just defeats the purpose of the guitar,I mean if I want a guitar to do something...I may just rent or buy that specific guitar...I own 4 guitars and I just hate the thoughts of moding a guitar...mind you I have modded other guitars but ultimatly I always ended up back to the original set-up...thats just me...I went as far as building my own from Warmoth when I wanted something different...cant stand buying a instrument only to find all these mods done...like taking the pic-guard of a strat to find a swimming pool, just so someone could install humbuckers..little stuff like that gets under my skin...anyway...I will enjoy hardtail for now...cheers

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:37 pm

smokensteve wrote:k...I was not familiar with this tremol-no....just viewed a clip on you tube..I still am against moding this guitar....I may use the trem later on...but right now I am enjoying the blocked trem...I was never a fan of buying a guitar and moding it..just defeats the purpose of the guitar,I mean if I want a guitar to do something...I may just rent or buy that specific guitar...I own 4 guitars and I just hate the thoughts of moding a guitar...mind you I have modded other guitars but ultimatly I always ended up back to the original set-up...thats just me...I went as far as building my own from Warmoth when I wanted something different...cant stand buying a instrument only to find all these mods done...like taking the pic-guard of a strat to find a swimming pool, just so someone could install humbuckers..little stuff like that gets under my skin...anyway...I will enjoy hardtail for now...cheers

i have 20 guitars and all of them modded. i am yet to find a guitar that satisfies me stock. guitars don't come with the pots i like, the switching i like, usually not with the frets i like, so on.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm

He didn't say the holes were in the wrong place, he said they were in a different place than Fender. Since practically the entire replacement part industry uses Fender or Gibson specs, noting that G&L has a different standard for trem claw screws, while in the process of recommending the TremolNo (which requires replacing the claw, which has hole spacing at "standard" Fender spec) was a helpful bit of information to present. I use a TremolNo, and didn't know that G&L didn't conform to that spec. Very handy information for me, at least. Now I know if I want to use a TremolNo on my in-process Legacy, I will have to drill new hole as part of the installation. That doesn't mean Leo's latest design is lacking. Just means he varied from the standard he helped create and now new parts designed to fit his '50s guitars won't fit his latest guitars.

smokensteve wrote:this isn't a fender....with all respect..I don't understand what you are getting at....no much sence in my book....this is a G&L not a fender...what fender does is of no meaning to mean with this G&L...what makes you think they are in the wrong spot or wrong size screws or whatever..I really dont think Leo would build somethnig that needs to be modified for it to work properly...I really dont understand what you are getting at...

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Have a look under your Legacy's pickguard.

smokensteve wrote:...cant stand buying a instrument only to find all these mods done...like taking the pic-guard of a strat to find a swimming pool, just so someone could install humbuckers..little stuff like that gets under my skin...

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 pm

killerburst wrote:Have a look under your Legacy's pickguard.

smokensteve wrote:...cant stand buying a instrument only to find all these mods done...like taking the pic-guard of a strat to find a swimming pool, just so someone could install humbuckers..little stuff like that gets under my skin...
:happy0007: :happy0007: :happy0007:

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 pm

I know..its a swimming pool....just my point is I am not a real fan of modding a guitar in that way...I ment taking a router to it is kinda dumb in my mind...just leave it the way it is...I have done mods...changed pup...pots, but i am not a fan of routing or drilling holes or anything like that...thats all i ment....everything is good and I am happy the way the guitar is..if I feel i need tremolo I will unblock it until then I will enjoy my new guitar...cheers

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:26 am

smokensteve wrote:I know..its a swimming pool....just my point is I am not a real fan of modding a guitar in that way...I ment taking a router to it is kinda dumb in my mind...just leave it the way it is...I have done mods...changed pup...pots, but i am not a fan of routing or drilling holes or anything like that...thats all i ment....everything is good and I am happy the way the guitar is..if I feel i need tremolo I will unblock it until then I will enjoy my new guitar...cheers

i agree, taking a router to a guitar is not a great thing. i have reshaped some lower horns for access (my hands needed more room), and refinished the guitar, unfortunately both strat and tele are a little too tight for me for upper fret access, but i try to avoid putting new holes in guitars if possible.