Greetings (again) from the Old North State

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 am

Hello, everyone. Another long-time lurker, first time poster, here. I bought my first G&L, an S-500, brand new in 1996 and have been a G&L fan ever since. I recently aquired a Tribute Legacy HB with the intention of turning it into a Legacy/ASAT hybrid (inspired by this thread), and I look forward to entertaining you with my misadventures on The Project Page.

:cheers:

Re: Greetings (again) from the Old North State

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

fa-1397 wrote:Hello, everyone. Another long-time lurker, first time poster, here. I bought my first G&L, an S-500, brand new in 1996 and have been a G&L fan ever since. I recently aquired a Tribute Legacy HB with the intention of turning it into a Legacy/ASAT hybrid (inspired by this thread), and I look forward to entertaining you with my misadventures on The Project Page.

:cheers:

Greetings from a ole southern state of FL... :greet: G&L RULES!!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Welcome to G&LDP! Looking forward to some photos to prove that S-500 exists! :P

Ken

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Welcome!

Steve

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:51 am

Welcome! :wave:

In case you have not checked out the Welcome! Read This First post,
you will find some info on posting photos on this site.

Looking forward to seeing your S-500. :searching:

:sign0011:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 am

OK, sorry for slacking off with the photographic evidence; here are exhibits A and B:

The S-500 (left) is stock except for the Schaller strap locks and Graph Tech saddles I installed. When grooves formed in my original saddes and I began consistently breaking strings there, I ordered a replacement set from G&L. A few years later, I had the same problem with the new saddles, so I just ordered a set from Graph Tech. I don't think I've broken a string since. I'm not a gigging musician, though. YMMV.

The Legacy HB Tribute (right) is a project guitar I recently picked up on eBay. The only upgrade I've competed, thus far, is the installation of a set of Hipshot Grip-Lock Locking Tuners. Over the years, I've just been spoiled by the quick string changes and tuning stability provided by the Sperzel locking tuners on my S-500, so replacing the stock tuners was my first priority. I haven't put on a set of strings since installing the new tuners, so I don't know how the Hipshots compare to the Sperzels. I'll let you know.

The next step is to purchase a new pickguard from Chandler Guitars and install the set of ASAT Special soapbar MFDs I just purchased...on eBay. :) This will be my first real "break stuff with the soldering iron" experiment, so I'm pretty excited. Oh, and thanks so much for the warm welcome. This place is awesome.

FA-1397