Greetings from Mobile, Alabama

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:44 am

Good day,
I own a G&L that I can't find much information about; it is the ugliest color bubble-gum pink with two single coil and one double coil pickup and plays like a dream. I have been browsing this site but haven't located anything quite like mine yet. I hope someone here can help me identify it.

Re: Greetings from Mobile, Alabama

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 am

Got any pictures?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:47 pm

I do but I can't figure out how to post one here? OK, I found the tuitorial so I'll try to posta picture when I get back to the Studio this evening. Thanks

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 pm

It looks like a G&L neck attached to a body of unknown origin. Post pics of the back. Sometimes you can tell the body manufacturer from the cavity route shapes. If not there, might be a stamp or marking in the neck pocket.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 pm

killerburst wrote:It looks like a G&L neck attached to a body of unknown origin. Post pics of the back. Sometimes you can tell the body manufacturer from the cavity route shapes. If not there, might be a stamp or marking in the neck pocket.

doesn't look like anything from g&l. the neck is off an asat (my guess later 80's), definitely the wrong body style, this is a a partsocaster

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:50 am

Seacowboys wrote:Good day,
I own a G&L that I can't find much information about; it is the ugliest color bubble-gum pink with two single coil and one double coil pickup and plays like a dream. I have been browsing this site but haven't located anything quite like mine yet. I hope someone here can help me identify it.

Seacowboys wrote:Image

It's a mid to late eighties Invader which had the neck replaced with an ASAT neck. The body color is Hot Pink.

From our Gallery:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

That looks like a strat body clone, not an Invader - different shape. DiMarzio, Mighty Mite, Boogie Bodies, Charvel, Schecter, etc. I bet the electronics cavity would tell us something. That's not a flatmount Kahler, either.

Craig wrote:

It's a mid to late eighties Invader which had the neck replaced with an ASAT neck. The body color is Hot Pink.

From our Gallery:

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Also, the Invaders from that period had 3 mini toggles and straight single coil routes. That body has a slotted switch and traditional (lipped) single coil routes.
Last edited by killerburst on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:27 pm

killerburst wrote:That looks like a strat body clone, not an Invader - different shape. DiMarzio, Mighty Mite, Boogie Bodies, Charvel, Schecter, etc. I bet the electronics cavity would tell us something. That's not a flatmount Kahler, either.

I thought Charvel or Kramer when I first saw it.

How's it play ?? Have you had it for a long time?

Elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 am

Craig wrote:

From our Gallery:

Hope this helps.

look at the body shape again. that is not correct. the horns are different shaped, and the waist of the guitar is offset unlike the invader. pickup routes as well.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 am

I'm curious, was the three bolt neck plate used that might have been kept with the neck,
(it would have a G&L serial no. on it - G0xxxxx ),
...or was the four bolt used that comes with those 80's 'superstrats' ?

AND WELCOME to the board (where are my manners :) ),

Elwood

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Greetings -

Couple things about your guitar - the neck is obviously off an ASAT - probably '86 or '87. The black tuners are aftermarket as the buttons are smaller and the string posts aren't split shaft. Someone added the the lock down metal tabs which were offered on G&L Superstrats like the Superhawk, Rampage, etc...

The body is not G&L and could possibly be a Peavey. Leo-era guitar necks besides being 3 bolt are 22 fret in length - most other manufacturers (with the exception of some Peavey models) are fashioned after Fender necks and are either 21 frets or 22 frets with the fingerboard extending over the body for the 22nd fret. Installing a G&L neck on a standard 25 3/4" scale length body won't work without modifying the neck pocket to make up for the difference - intonation will be off . Basically, G&L necks only fit G&L bodies. The only exception I've found to this are some late 80's Peavey's (Generation series - which also have 22 fret necks) Its possible that the neck pocket of your guitar has been modified but that doesn't appear to be the case judging from the photos.

What does the back of the guitar look like? I'm guessing it has a 4-bolt neckplate scheme.

One other thing I notice is that the ASAT neck looks fairly wide at the nut and appears to be a #4 neck (1 & 3/4 nut width)
I'm actually looking for one of these to replace the neck on my late 80's ASAT . If you're interested in selling your guitar or just the neck please get in touch via my ad in the Marketplace.

Cheers,
Kf