Hello from CT

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi fellow guitar fanatics. I am contemplating adding a G&L to my stable, now that they have added stainless steel frets to the list of options. It might seem crazy to a lot of you, but that has become a mandatory requirement for me to buy any new guitar. I started on them in 2002 when Tom Anderson switched over and have owned more than a dozen SS-fretted guitars. Nickel silver is no longer an option for me, so I was pleased to learn that G&L has joined a select group of manufacturers who offer SS frets as an option (even if it is for a relatively exorbitant upcharge).

At the moment I am without a "Strat" in my collection. I'm more drawn to humbucker sounds, but can really get in to a 3 single coil guitar at times. I'm thinking of ordering a Legacy, along with an extra pickguard cut for 2 humbuckers that I'll load myself. That way I can go trad S/S/S or switch over to dual hum strat a la Jimmy Herring at will. I will set up a quick change connector assembly so I can do it with just a screwdriver at string change time.

My boggle now is the color, pickguard color(s), fingerboard wood and neck finish. I am going to order an alder body with a solid finish, 1a neck, locking tuners and DFS vibrato. I really like the Magarita and Tangerine, but the vintage white with a totoise guard might be just what I need. I've been using the online guitar generator as a visual aid and that helps. I've even entertained doing natural binding, but that is not likely.

I have to say, the lack of consistent product information from G&L is a drag. For instance, the option price list that Buffalo Bros hosts, says that the standard case is molded, and the deluxe G&G is an upcharge. My local dealer assures me and the 2010 press release on the G&L site says all USA guitars come with a G&G case. Then again the online store on G&L's site says the tolex case is included with only select models. :eh: I can't blame Buffalo for falling short on a service they offer in an effort to make up for the manufacturer's shortcoming, but the existence of misinformation makes overcoming the lack of "official" information more stressful than it should be. Another thing is I've seen guitars for sale with satin tinted necks. That is not listed as an option on any website or generator I've seen. It's a really good thing G&L builds guitars better than they conduct their marketing efforts. :? The online guitar generator is probably the best thing I've seen on the web to help me crystalize what I want to order from G&L.

So, anyway... I'm here to scour for information and see if i can get inspired enough to pull the trigger on an order. Any tidbits, favorite color schemes, etc. are welcome. Cheers, Jon

Re: Hello from CT

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Welcome, Jon! :wave:

One of things we at the GbL and G&LDP try and do is provide information about the latest changes and updates
to the G&L instruments, including setup changes, should they occur. Please check out the G&L Knowledgebase and the
various sub-forums of the G&LDP.

For example, this post in the Knowledgebase should be of interest: Comparison of Neck Finishes, especially about the Light Tint Satin neck option.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks, Craig. Do you know if the Light Tint Satin is an upcharge?

Craig wrote:Welcome, Jon! :wave:

One of things we at the GbL and G&LDP try and do is provide information about the latest changes and updates
to the G&L instruments, including setup changes, should they occur. Please check out the G&L Knowledgebase and the

For example, this post in the Knowledgebase should be of interest: Comparison of Neck Finishes, especially about the Light Tint Satin neck option.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 pm

killerburst wrote:Thanks, Craig. Do you know if the Light Tint Satin is an upcharge?

Craig wrote:Welcome, Jon! :wave:

Hope this helps.

Yes, I believe so, but check with the G&L dealer you plan to order from.
Who knows, they might make you a deal on the option.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

You may want to consider a Legacy HB or Special as well. Tough choice!

Welcome. - ed

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:12 am

I ordered a Legacy, as follows:
G&L Legacy, right-handed
Alder body (light weight please)
Royal Purple Metallic finish
3-ply white pearloid pickguard
Quartersawn Maple neck/fingerboard
#1a Slim C neck profile
Stainless Steel Medium Jumbo Frets
Light tint satin neck finish