My First Post.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 am

Hiya folks!
I found this site last night and am stoked to join the forum.
A little background; I'm New to G&L guitars but not to guitars in general. After a 25 year break from playing in garage bands I returned 4 years ago to Open Mic nights and eventually on to solo gigs. I now play 4 nights a week at 4 seperate venues. After much experimentation my weapon of choice is a Martin D15 because of it's incredible sound and rock solid staying in tune under ANY weather/temp conditions. But last year I was in search of an electric guitar with more versitility. I bought an Ibanez semi hollowbody that played well but even after a professional set up including a bone nut it would not stay in tune. I admit I'm a heavy handed strummer but my Martin takes it exceptionally well. Anyway, I recently ordered a G&L Legacy Tribute Strat and am eagerly awaiting its arrival from the factory. I'm a lefty who plays standard righty guitars. I just hold it lefty (upside down) withgout re-stringing. I've always wanted to own a real "lefty" guitar so that the vol/tone knobs were out of the way when playing. Color is important too. My dealer called me and said lefty version only comes in Blue Burst this year. PERFECT! My favorite color. My Legacy Tribute should arrive any day now and I can hardly wait. When it comes I'll have to re-string it Righty. My only concern is that it stays in tune well.
I'll post pix when she's all set up.
Thanks for listening,
Dana Lewis

Re: My First Post.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Welcome Dana! I don't have personal experience with any Tribbies, but may older G&Ls usually stay perfectly in tune - even if they've been in the case for weeks or months.

Did you have the nut slotted for a righty (so that you can string it upside-down), or are you planning to pull the nut out and turn it around?

Ken

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Dana Lewis wrote:Hiya folks!
I found this site last night and am stoked to join the forum.
A little background; I'm New to G&L guitars but not to guitars in general. After a 25 year break from playing in garage bands I returned 4 years ago to Open Mic nights and eventually on to solo gigs. I now play 4 nights a week at 4 seperate venues. After much experimentation my weapon of choice is a Martin D15 because of it's incredible sound and rock solid staying in tune under ANY weather/temp conditions. But last year I was in search of an electric guitar with more versitility. I bought an Ibanez semi hollowbody that played well but even after a professional set up including a bone nut it would not stay in tune. I admit I'm a heavy handed strummer but my Martin takes it exceptionally well. Anyway, I recently ordered a G&L Legacy Tribute Strat and am eagerly awaiting its arrival from the factory. I'm a lefty who plays standard righty guitars. I just hold it lefty (upside down) withgout re-stringing. I've always wanted to own a real "lefty" guitar so that the vol/tone knobs were out of the way when playing. Color is important too. My dealer called me and said lefty version only comes in Blue Burst this year. PERFECT! My favorite color. My Legacy Tribute should arrive any day now and I can hardly wait. When it comes I'll have to re-string it Righty. My only concern is that it stays in tune well.
I'll post pix when she's all set up.
Thanks for listening,
Dana Lewis

Welcome! :wave:

Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing your new Tribute Legacy. Please do add it to ourG&L Registry after you get it.

:sign0011:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:28 am

Hi Ken.
Thankyou for the reply.
My Tribbi hasn't arrived yet but when it dose I'm thinking about re-stringing myself and flipping the nut. I've never done this but would like the experience. Never done intonation either but I have a good instruction book and theres plenty of Youtube info out there. If that does not work, my selling dealer has a wonderful in-house luthier. I'll schedule a 'professional' set up at which point I'd ask about installing a Bone nut. Anyone here have experience or opinions on bone nuts for Electric guitars?
Thanks,
Dana

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

Dana Lewis wrote:Hi Ken.
Thankyou for the reply.
My Tribbi hasn't arrived yet but when it dose I'm thinking about re-stringing myself and flipping the nut. I've never done this but would like the experience. Never done intonation either but I have a good instruction book and theres plenty of Youtube info out there. If that does not work, my selling dealer has a wonderful in-house luthier. I'll schedule a 'professional' set up at which point I'd ask about installing a Bone nut. Anyone here have experience or opinions on bone nuts for Electric guitars?
Thanks,
Dana

a dealer has an in house luthier (someone who builds guitars from scratch)? that is highly unusual. most have a tech (best case scenario they have a good one), but usually just a lousy one. good techs don't like to work for stores. on a new tribby, a fret level and crown and polish is needed, best left to a professional. if you screw it up, a refret is 300 plus. a good tech will also do a fall away after the 15 fret or so to make the bending easier without buzzing. for nut material, my favorite is delron 500cl. it is very hard, but internally chemically lubricated, for tuning stability on a trem guitar it's a must. sounds and performs better than graphtech. remember the nut only effects the sound of the open string.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 am

Louis,
Perhaps I miss spoke as to the term "Luthier"
My 'guitar tech' is very good. He is Martin Guitar Factory Certified and has done factory warranty work "in-house" because they know he does repair work as well as they do at the factory. I'm going to take your advice and have him do the conversion as well as ask for nut material you suggest. I want the nut for tuning stability, not for tone.
Thanks for your advice.
Dana

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 am

My Legacy Tribute Blue burst arrived at the music store yesterday. Yey! :happy0065:
They called me to come down and open the box myself.
It's Gorgeous! :luv: Unfortunatly, after waiting six weeks for delivery, I have to wait one more week for the tech to do a re-string to righty.
So I sadly put her back in the box and drove home empty handed. :(
When I take her home next Friday I'll take some photos and share them with you.
This will be my first True left handed guitar in my 48 years of playing and I can't wait to get my hands all over her. :twisted:

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am

Congrats. I'm looking forward to photos.

How did the blue burst look to you in person?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:22 am

Welcome and congrat's from a lefty that played upside down righty's for a couple years till I tried the 5 string banjo? long story but had
to get a lefty built but do understand where your coming from, lol..anyway, enjoy the new axe!..

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 am

KenC wrote:Congrats. I'm looking forward to photos.

How did the blue burst look to you in person?

It was just like getting into a brand new car at the showroom.
New guitar smell, Flawless, deep shiney finish, fret markers on the correct side of the neck, smooth neck, controll knobs down where they should be, body curved bevel in the right place and full access to the top frets. Like it was custom built for me. I'm having the tech put DaDdarrio medium guage strings on (11"s) as I am mostly a rithym strummer and don't do much streching of the strings. Planing on adding an effects pedal. I have a Boss Chorus, Boss Fuzz, Zoom G-1N and Variax multi pedal. have NO experience playing out with any of these pedals so it will take some experimentation to find out what will work for me.
Any opinions out there on these stomp boxes?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 pm

the variax is for line 6 guitars to change stuff. the zoom is just a home use pedal, doesn't work so well live. i don't care for the boss pedals much, but those are your best choices here. they are not true bypass, and the buffer is that good, they are also called tone suckers. it d4epends on what amp you use and what sound you want. there are lots of higher end pedals at relatively lower prices that work very nice. also, by participating in the lunch reporter (by being one), you get a free bbe pedal of your choice, those are muchh better than anything boss puts out.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:55 am

louis cyfer wrote:the variax is for line 6 guitars to change stuff. the zoom is just a home use pedal, doesn't work so well live. i don't care for the boss pedals much, but those are your best choices here. they are not true bypass, and the buffer is that good, they are also called tone suckers. it d4epends on what amp you use and what sound you want. there are lots of higher end pedals at relatively lower prices that work very nice. also, by participating in the lunch reporter (by being one), you get a free bbe pedal of your choice, those are muchh better than anything boss puts out.

Louis,
The Line 6 "floor pod" is a multi effects pedal.
Right now I play a Martin D14 acoustic through a Fishman Soloamp which is like the Bose L-1 stick.
It has 230 watts and is probably set up like an acoustic amp.
If I can switch to G&L electric I want to have some chorus and occasional Fuzz.
The BBE fuzz looks like a good way to go.
I'll look into your suggestion on Lunch reporter.
Thank you for the advice.
Dana Lewis

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 am

Dana,

I haven't used any of the pedals you mentioned, but my brief experience with Zoom pedals wasn't that great. I prefer analog over digital processing any day. My favorite chorus for less than $100 is EHX's Clone Theory. It's a little bit noisy, but covers a lot of sounds. Years ago I had a DOD Ice Box chorus, which also worked very well for the price (I think I paid around $30 used).

Ken

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Dana Lewis wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:the variax is for line 6 guitars to change stuff. the zoom is just a home use pedal, doesn't work so well live. i don't care for the boss pedals much, but those are your best choices here. they are not true bypass, and the buffer is that good, they are also called tone suckers. it d4epends on what amp you use and what sound you want. there are lots of higher end pedals at relatively lower prices that work very nice. also, by participating in the lunch reporter (by being one), you get a free bbe pedal of your choice, those are muchh better than anything boss puts out.

Louis,
The Line 6 "floor pod" is a multi effects pedal.
Right now I play a Martin D14 acoustic through a Fishman Soloamp which is like the Bose L-1 stick.
It has 230 watts and is probably set up like an acoustic amp.
If I can switch to G&L electric I want to have some chorus and occasional Fuzz.
The BBE fuzz looks like a good way to go.
I'll look into your suggestion on Lunch reporter.
Thank you for the advice.
Dana Lewis

the floor pod has a variax input, to work with variax guitars, but i though you said you had a variax pedal, which was to control said variax guitars. the pod works nice for home, but i don't like it much for live use. my favorite chorus is the neunaber chroma chorus.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, I Finally brought my Legacy home.
Lefty restrung righty by the in-house setup tech it handles beautifully!
Gigged 5 times with it. It's taking some time to get used to an electric after 5 years on an acoustic.
My strumming hand tends to knock the pickup position switch out of position. I gotta learn to strum in a different way so as not to do that.
Other than that, It's an Awesome instrument. Patrons have been coming up to me with compliments on my new sound and tips have gone up!
The variety of sounds from the pickup combinations is amazing! It has a Solid feel, great neck with a satin finish for smooth travel up & down the neck. Nice fret board with low action.
Stays in tune beautifully even though I'm a heavy handed strummer. This guitar more than exceeds my expectations. I only wish I'd known about G&L Years ago.
I'm one Very happy owner and suggest to anyone on the fence about owning a G&L guitar to Buy It! You won't be dissapointed.
P.S.
I was able to figure out how to set up a photo gallery elsewhere in this forum but I haven't figured out how to post them here.
Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.
Thank you for your guidence into the G&L universe.
Dana Lewis

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Dana Lewis wrote:I was able to figure out how to set up a photo gallery elsewhere in this forum but I haven't figured out how to post them here.
Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.
Thank you for your guidence into the G&L universe.
Dana Lewis

See: Tutorial: Posting photos

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: