New USA Legacy & new to the forums

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey all,
This is a way cool forum you all have going here.
I just acquired a brand new G&L Legacy from the same dealer I purchased my 2001 USA ASAT from. Goodtime Music in Streamwood, IL...I'm sure the owner won't mind the shout-out.

I actually went in there to get some pickups rewired (they have an excellent on-site tech) when the owner showed me this guitar. Needless to say I went there expecting to pay $50 or so in tech work and walked out with a $1200+ bill... :happy0065:

Anyways, it's a damn fine instrument. Here's some specs:
1a Neck Profile
Vintage Gloss Tint
Rosewood Fretboard
3-Tone Sunburst (it looks more like to Tobacco Sunburst to me which is fine, the finish is absolutely stunning)
Creme pickguard/pickup covers
Sperzel locking tuners

I'm fairly particular when it comes to setups and here's the specs I used to get this to play like butter:
Neck relief: .005" at 7th fret (Capo on 1st)
String height at 17th fret (Capo on 1st) .050" - minimal buzz
Dual Fulcrum strung with 10's adjusted to 3/64" off and parallel to the body ( I rarely use the trem)
I coated the trem claw screw coated in 100% beeswax - i find this makes them go in smoother and prevents stripping of the wood

Here's some pics...be cool everyone!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/dsc2440s.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/dsc2442o.jpg/

Re: New USA Legacy & new to the forums

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 am

Good to have you aboard,

here's your pics inline, if you don't mind,
(imageshack has pop ups that didn't want to go way :evil: )

That's a really tasty looking Legacy !

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 am

I gotta ask, how's your intonation?

Usually I expect to see relative string lengths that end with the saddles in this sort of shape:

on your legacy the low E looks too short and I bet the other could be dialed in a bit.

hope this helps ,
Elwood

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for putting those pics inline Elwood.
Funny you should notice that low E saddle. The intonation is spot on EXCEPT for the low E. The reason I think i couldn't get it to intonate is because it was a bum string. It literally pulled apart at the tuner. I know for a fact that the brand of strings i use was making strings with bad core wire and many people have had problems with them. Anyhow I'm gonna throw some Ernie Balls on today and dial it in.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! Great looking Legacy! :alright: