G'day yet another New G&L owner

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey all

A short intro, my name is Tony. I am from Melbourne in Australia and I am a new G&L convert. I have only been a full time bass player for the last 4 years, with lots to learn, but had been a guitarist for over 15 years. I was lucky enuf that my current band asked me to play bass for them that started my journey in bass. To finally start to understand the importance of the feel and impeccably timed bass groove/line that simutaneously sit in and drive the music that so many times I have taken for granted.

I am the new owner of a G&L L2K Blue burst with natural binding. It is a splendid and magnificent bass with the voice of a seven foot baritone demon. I am in the middle of waiting for a set of TI Jazz Flats to arrive so I can complete the set up; as the action at present is a bit high, intonation is a little out and the strings are a bit too taunt for my general liking.

How I came across G&L... I was researching into buying a good passive bass as I was getting sick of changing the batteries on my active basses. Plus I wanted to finally delve into a good passive tone/sound. After reading the montrous amount of talkbass forum posted on the MM Big Al, Lakland, Fender USA Ps and Jazz, I accidentally came across the name G&L L2K in one of the post. I have heard of G&L before and knew it had Leo's name and skills in the making of their great guitars and basses but it had never peeked my interest before. I did a quick search in the talkbass forum on L2K and found a tidal flood of posts chanting the immensity of the G&L basses. The rest is history, paying not enuf moolah for a very fine instrument. After receiving mine and played it, I can finally say the G&L army is not wrong.

Thanks and I hope to learn from this fine G&L community.

Cheers
Tony

Re: G'day yet another New G&L owner

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 am

Welcome Tony and you are in agreement with many of us. A Stingray 5 HH has been my main bass for the last 4 years. I bought a new L-2500 last October and the Ray 5 is now a backup. The L series rocks! -- Darwin

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 am

Another Aussie in our midst! Welcome Tony :happy0065: But I guess with the purchase of an L2K, you'll still have to change a battery once in a while ;)

- Jos

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Hay is what horses eat.. but hey anyway.

Cheers for the warm welcomes, Darwinohm and Yowhatsshakin, and always ace to meet other aussies..

A Stingray 5 HH has been my main bass for the last 4 years. I bought a new L-2500 last October and the Ray 5 is now a backup. The L series rocks! -- Darwin.

Yep, I am almost the same but a MM Bongo 4HH, I still love the Bongo tho, very easy to play with more of a refine tone/sound from its pimped MM active electronics rather than the pure raw energy that the L2K exudes in passive mode. My L2K hasn't taken over yet as I have just gotten it and still have to wait for new strings and then do a proper set up; but hell I can hear how good and authoritative she is sounding already. Really can't wait to get the Ti Flats on her and play her and the Bongo for a full day and see who wins the :fighting0030: .. haha..

But I guess with the purchase of an L2K, you'll still have to change a battery once in a while

I haven't tried it yet but I have read on Talkbass that you can pull the battery out and it will still fully function in passive only mode and even give you a bit of a different timbre to boot. I have also read that others have modded their L2K and L2500 to bypass the battery totally and run the bass in passive only. I am not going to do that tho cos I like the active mode of the L2K as well, and changing batteries once every six months is way better than changing two nine volt every two to four weeks on the Bongo.. :crazy: In fact, I may try pulling out the battery tonight and see how she goes. :)

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Welcome Tony. Aussies are some of our favorite people here. We've even heard about the legendary map of Tasmania, and we have tasted the Iced Vovo.

I don't play bass, but have a couple of passive Leo-era basses. You did well, Sir! Glad you found this place. - ed

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I also have an L2K with natural binding, but mine is cherry burst. It simply looks terrific. I am a guitar player who owns a bass just for the rare occasion that I actually play the bass. I really don't deserve the L2K, but I'm not going to complain.

Kit