Re-intro

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 am

Figured I'd make things formal, as I see a lot of new faces around here. I used to hang around pretty often back in the old green-n-black days. No real excuse for my absence, just one of those things...

Anyway, I'm a roots, rock/rhythm/blues guy, born and raised in Fort Worth, TX, now living in Norman, OK. Turn 30 in a couple months, no kids, just a wonderful schoolteacher wife and some cats. Love me some Dallas Stars hockey, Mavericks and Thunder basketball and Sooner football (I have lots of love for the Dallas Cowboys, too, but it's a painful relationship...).

Right now, I've got an '83 SC-3, '95 ASAT and an S-500 w/ an '82 body and '91 neck, plus a late '80s SB-1 (I won't get into other makes). Main amp is a BF-modded Super Reverb and I also have a Noble-branded Magnatone amp and a (non-working) Ampeg Rocket.

I consider myself a pretty easy-going guy; I like being friendly and helpful and I'm a good, but not spectacular player. As far as repair and setup, my technical knowledge is good, as are my mechanical abilities, but my woodworking and finishing skills leave something to be desired.

Re: Re-intro

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am

is it not green and black anymore? welcome back. always good to have another knowledgeable person to run things by.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 am

louis cyfer wrote:is it not green and black anymore? welcome back. always good to have another knowledgeable person to run things by.

LOL, actually, it was until I logged in, then it turned white + light blue. In all honestly, the green-n-black was pretty tough on the eyes, plus it was easy for my wife to spot from across the room and tease me for talking to those G&L nerds again ;)

I actually started out here around 1998 or so, disappeared a couple years later, started posting again in 2007 or 2008 (and was astonished to see the old '90s message board running unaltered) and more or less fell off again a little before this got updated to a modern message board.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Here's some pics, which are stale to the old folks around here, but probably new to more than a few. (I need to get around to taking some fresh ones w/ my new, much better camera):

SC-3:

S-500:

ASAT:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Kakerlak, good to see you back. I came in near the end of the green era. I wish more of the old timers would check in but times change. Welcome back.-- Darwin

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm

darwinohm wrote:Kakerlak, good to see you back. I came in near the end of the green era. I wish more of the old timers would check in but times change. Welcome back.-- Darwin

Thanks Darwin. That's quite the sparkle ASAT you've got there!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Welcome back Mister Kotter!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Kakerlak, I missed your photos. They showed up after I had posted. Nice 3 bolters that you have. You don't see many birdseye neck like yours. Thanks for the Sparkle comment. It is blingy-- Darwin

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 pm

darwinohm wrote:Kakerlak, I missed your photos. They showed up after I had posted. Nice 3 bolters that you have. You don't see many birdseye neck like yours. Thanks for the Sparkle comment. It is blingy-- Darwin

I talked about it back in the day, but I think that ASAT was an employee guitar, saleseman's sample or something along those lines. First of all, it's a standard ASAT, not the Special (w/ the chrome hardware), yet it's got a premium finish and (non-locking) Sperzels. Secondly, the neck is really nicely (and consistantly) figured at a time when there was no neck wood upgrade option. Lastly, the body finish is like none I've ever seen. It's about 4 times as thick as the average mid '90s models (like maybe 1/10 to 1/8" thick). It's also semi cloudy, like somebody mixed a couple drops of white blonde into a gun full of natural; I've never seen another like it and the white blonde they were shooting at the time was pretty opaque.

Back to yours though, I seriously dig the metalfake; that's right up my alley!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm

kakerlak wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:is it not green and black anymore? welcome back. always good to have another knowledgeable person to run things by.

LOL, actually, it was until I logged in, then it turned white + light blue. In all honestly, the green-n-black was pretty tough on the eyes, plus it was easy for my wife to spot from across the room and tease me for talking to those G&L nerds again ;)

I actually started out here around 1998 or so, disappeared a couple years later, started posting again in 2007 or 2008 (and was astonished to see the old '90s message board running unaltered) and more or less fell off again a little before this got updated to a modern message board.

Welcome back! :wave:

I did some tweeking of the G&LDP V2.0 since you were last here. The default Style was prosilver (white + light blue) then, but
it was changed to AcidTech Green soon after (thanks to Brock for finding this Style!). We do provide four different Styles to choose from,
so if you want to change to another one, go to the User Control Panel, select board preferences and select another style from the list
for the board style.

Good to see ya again and glad to see you've still got some great G&L instruments. :thumbup:

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Craig, thanks for the re-welcome. I actually did notice the different color scheme options, but the blue and white looked pretty good to me, so I left it alone. Maybe if I get nostalgic someday... Nice to see you're on top of things as always.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 pm

mine is still black and green, that's what came up stock and i left it alone.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Welcome back. I also found the old board around '98, and lost track of it until about a year ago when my interest in G&Ls flared up.

That's a gorgeous neck on the ASAT. I'd love to see a closer picture of that grain!

Ken

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm

KenC wrote:Welcome back. I also found the old board around '98, and lost track of it until about a year ago when my interest in G&Ls flared up.

That's a gorgeous neck on the ASAT. I'd love to see a closer picture of that grain!

Ken

Obliged!

"Whoops, how'd that last one get in there?" ;)

(I need to do some re-takes w/ my new camera...)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks!

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

kakerlak wrote:Right now, I've got an '83 SC-3, '95 ASAT and an S-500 w/ an '82 body and '91 neck, plus a late '80s SB-1 (I won't get into other makes). Main amp is a BF-modded Super Reverb and I also have a Noble-branded Magnatone amp and a (non-working) Ampeg Rocket.

That is some sweet, sweet gear. You're about the same age as me (I'm 30 in June :o ) - good to have another "young" guy around :thumbup:

Welcome back

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:41 am

kakerlak wrote:Image

Don't look now, but your guitar is in flames! :shocked003:

Who has a fire extinguisher?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 am

Blarg eloquently writes
You're about the same age as me (I'm 30 in June :o ) - good to have another "young" guy around :thumbup:

Welcome back

That is relative. If I were hanging out in Sun City Az, or Florida, or even southern Texas, I would be considered a young pup! :fighting0030: -- Darwin