New ASAT Special Owner Saying Hello

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi All,

I bought my first G&L about 3 hours ago. I have a Butterscoth ASAT Special with a black pickguard and rosewood fretboard. We've bonded in the short period of time we've been together. I was hellbent on buying an American Standard Tele but fell in love with this one. I got to match it up with the Blackstar HT 20 combo I bought yesterday. I'm just wondering now why I'm at the keyboard rather than playing.

Anyway, hello!

Slivyr
Left Coast, Canada

Re: New ASAT Special Owner Saying Hello

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Slivyr wrote:Hi All,

I bought my first G&L about 3 hours ago. I have a Butterscoth ASAT Special with a black pickguard and rosewood fretboard. We've bonded in the short period of time we've been together. I was hellbent on buying an American Standard Tele but fell in love with this one. I got to match it up with the Blackstar HT 20 combo I bought yesterday. I'm just wondering now why I'm at the keyboard rather than playing.

Anyway, hello!

Slivyr
Left Coast, Canada

Welcome! :wave:

Good choice, you can't go wrong with an ASAT Special! :thumbup:

However, there is an unwritten rule: no photo ... it does not exist!

Please check out the Welcome! Read This First post.

:sign0011:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks!

I just took a quick pic of the new guitar and amp:

Slivyr
Left Coast, Canada

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 am

good choice on the special..... I am certain it will lead to more! My Second G&L was a special i have added 6 more since then :luv:
I bet it sounds great through the Blackstar.

Welcome Eh
Scott

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 am

Hello Sylver,

Welcome to the forum.

The ASAT Special is a great choice for your first G&L!!

Enjoy! 8-)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 am

Very nice setup. Tell us how they sound together.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Welcome!

An ASAT Special was my first G&L. I don't want to frighten you, but you may (like me) find that one G&L leads to another. And another. And another...

Glad you found G&L - and this place. - ed

PS: Beautiful guitar! Cool amp too!!

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Classic colour combo too.

You'll be loving that ASAT even more and more as you lay your hands on it.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I haven't even had a chance to change the strings yet. I know I have it bad as I sit here at work and surf the forums rather than be a productive, contributing member of society.

The sounds I can get combining the Special with the Blackstar have, so far, blown me away. Now I just have to learn to play better so I can justify owning such cool gear.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:38 pm

I recently sent my Blackstar Studio 20 head off to my brother as his Christmas present, but it wasn't because I had any animosity toward that great amp. You can listen to a sample of it with my S-500 Mahogany Special Build here.

Blackstar's HT Venue Series has a lot to offer the budget-minded guitarist, and the upcoming release of the Club 50 head is worthy of significant consideration to anyone looking for a new amp. Thankfully, Anderton's Music in the UK has a demo on Youtube.

I will eventually get a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 head to replace the Blackstar, but that's going to wait quite a while whilst I shift to a MIDI keyboard + virtual instruments setup. The emulated output on Blackstar maps deserves special attention, since to get similar convenience I'll have to spend $500 on a Rivera RockCrusher to mate with the Mesa (though the attenuation/load box functionality means that the RockCrusher is on my list anyway).

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm

I love this guitar!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Robstafarian wrote:I recently sent my Blackstar Studio 20 head off to my brother as his Christmas present, but it wasn't because I had any animosity toward that great amp. You can listen to a sample of it with my S-500 Mahogany Special Build here.

Blackstar's HT Venue Series has a lot to offer the budget-minded guitarist, and the upcoming release of the Club 50 head is worthy of significant consideration to anyone looking for a new amp. Thankfully, Anderton's Music in the UK has a demo on Youtube.

Since my earlier post (quoted above) will remain available until the end of the Internet, I need to post some corrections:
  1. Never connect a line-level signal to the PreSonus AudioBox USB! You can hear me say that I did that to create the recording, but that's because I was too tired to notice that I was killing my audio interface in doing so.
  2. I am far less enthusiastic about Blackstar amps these days, as it has been demonstrated that they are hybrid amps rather than genuine tube amps. I am just one of thousands of people, retailers included, who thought they were being truthful using the phrase "all tube."

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Bought my 'Special a couple of years ago (probably about the same you got yours). Since then, all I've done is turn the pot-plate around (I hated hitting the selector every time I get a bit crazy) and switched the pots around backwards (I like having the volume 'right there' still). Because it's got a tortoise shell pickguard, the only cosmetic change was swapping the black knobs out for chrome.
Oh... Maybe a bit of neck straightening... And then there's shaving and redressing the frets... And resetting the nut...
After all of that, it's my favorite G&L! (An earlier poster was right - betcha don't buy just one!)

(Yeah, flamers; this post is almost a year out of date. And... what?)

Mick

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Welcome, Mick. - ed

btw, you won't find many (if any) flame-throwers here. That's one of the (many) cool things about this place. Glad you found it - and us!