Hello from a Skyhawk newbie in Boston

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi guys,

I'm happy to say that I'm a proud owner of a 1985 Skyhawk (all black, as Nighthawk) from today.

Here is my story:
I'm 45 and play as hobby musician since I was 14. I owned many guitars, Yamaha, Cort, Hagstrom, Gibson LP and SG, Fender Strat and a couple of less known names. I play various styles, rock, folk-rock, sometimes a bit jazzy, sometimes more heavy.
Recently I started to take lessons from a local luthier to learn all luthier stuff I can. Several weeks ago one of his clients brought a nice Nighthawk to him for setup.
I was lucky enough to try it and I was impressed by the quality, tone, the look and everything on it.
G&L was not very familiar for me before, I just knew the name and that it was Leo's last company. So, after that I started my research, I bought the Fullerton-book and I found this site and some others.
I regularly checked eBay and luckily found the black beauty.
Actually, maybe I overpaid it a little, but it was so deep love at first sight that I couldn't resist.

It's a well played axe, some big chips on the bottom of the body, the back of the neck is almost gray form wear and also there is noticeable fretwear, but nothing serious issues.
The tremolo arm is missing and the HSC is not original - otherwise a nice vintage guitar.
I will do a full setup including fretdressing on it, check the electronics, replace the tremolo arm, etc.
I have to say, probably it's the best guitar in my life so far. I can't recall any other that could keep me playing for long hours at the first time with so wide smile on my face... :)

Re: Hello from a Skyhawk newbie in Boston

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Welcome Aboard...

I believe I saw that listing too.... Nice score. Post some pics when you can.....

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:14 am

Well, I tried to send pictures, but I don't really understand, how does it work here.
I have never tried to post pictures in such way, usually there is a dedicated button for it and I can't find out what should I do with that codes.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 am

Ok, I got it. The forum engine can't handle the direct Flickr links.
I have to copy the embedding code and then just keep the source of the image URL. It's a bit complicated, but works. :)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 am

Welcome and a very nice axe!-- Darwin

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am

muzx66 wrote:Well, I tried to send pictures, but I don't really understand, how does it work here.
I have never tried to post pictures in such way, usually there is a dedicated button for it and I can't find out what should I do with that codes.

I see you figured it out. :thumbup:

You might check out the Welcome! Read This First for additional information.

Welcome! :wave:

I see why you were smitten by that Skyhawk! :alright:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 am

Thank you!
The tricky thing was that even I used the link that Flicker generated to the picture in between the forum's IMG tags, when I tried preview it showed a message that "could not determine the picture size" or similar.
Then I tried to use the embedding code and copied only the URL following the IMG SRC and it worked.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:19 pm

muzx66 wrote:Thank you!
The tricky thing was that even I used the link that Flicker generated to the picture in between the forum's IMG tags, when I tried preview it showed a message that "could not determine the picture size" or similar.
Then I tried to use the embedding code and copied only the URL following the IMG SRC and it worked.

I have the exact same guitar in white with maple fret board....mine is an '85 too. Plus I'm 45 yrs old too. Maybe your my brother from another mother....LOL.

Anyway...very nice axe....and trust me I know how great they play and sound! Absolutely love mine!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I saw your Skyhawk serial number and noticed mine is G016503. Pretty close! I love my guitar and have played forever. I got for $325.00 in guitar shop in Carrboro, NC. G&L's are the best!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Welcome, and She is a beauty.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 am

Nice Gtr.! Enjoy it as I have and do enjoy my G&Ls! Greatest Gtrs I ever played!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 pm

She's a beauty...just like a slightly cleaner twin to my '83 Nighthawk...

I think this Skyhawk is an '86 based on features, but I've never been able to bring myself to remove the neck and check the dates - the playability is just too sweet to risk changing it:

The way these guitars play and sound is beyond description. I completely understand why Leo considered them improvements over the vintage Strats. Do you know whether yours has a maple or ash body?

I bought the Skyhawk two years ago, when I was 45. Give it another year and you'll probably want to add another one too...

Great photography, by the way!

Ken

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 pm

1987 G&L Skyhawk by ShowYourAuto!com, on Flickr

Glad to see another Skyhawk fan added to the group! This is my '87, welcome from Chicago!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Cut it out fella's!! You're making life hard for me, feel a serious G.A.S. attack coming up. And it's already hard enough to stay an ASAT man, you know ... :happy0007:

Some mighty fine Skyhawks/Nighthawks here!

- Jos