Long time lurker, first time poster!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Hey everyone. I've been a fan of G&L & this site for quite a while, had a BBE era ASAT Special a few years back, but just never bonded with it all the way. . .felt too "new" to me, so I traded it along.

Recently got a bug to trade off my #1 guitar, a mid '80s MIJ Telecaster Custom (TL62b) in black, gorgeous guitar that I'd gotten just right for my tastes & playing. Fralin pickups, Callaham compensated saddles, etc. Let my friends convince me that I'd be a fool to let it go & might never find such a sweetheart of a Tele (I'd played this one against Nocaster & other Custom Shop guitars, plus owned a half-dozen nice older MIJ Teles, this one was MAGIC!) But, once I've had a guitar for a few years I start looking around. . . Anyhow, just as I'd decided my friends were right & that I shouldn't even toy with the idea of letting it go, I saw an SC-1 go up for sale & did a quick 180! Sold the Tele to someone who'd given me a good cash offer, put some $$$ towards bills & snagged the SC-1. . .

And I'll start a thread about it HERE!

Re: Long time lurker, first time poster!

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 am

Welcome! When you start looking around after a couple of years with the SC-1, please let me know first!!!

Ken

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:38 am

Good to have you on board. Checked the sister threat. That tele is a beaut. One question though: What is it that you went looking for? Did your style evolve, thus requiring a nex main guitar? Or were you looking to update your style? I'm only asking because I recently did an aboutface of years of playing a Gibson and got myself a Legacy. Thing is, I didn't sell my number one. Instead I moved it to number two because it is so integral to the way I play. (And there are some times when that fat humbucker sound and the Gibson scale come in really handy). Same thing with the new number 1 Legacy, I could never part with it.

Just wondering about your thought process especially since the tele seemed modded to perfection and those MIJ Fenders seem to be solid platform for mods.

Of course, if you were smitten by that gorgeous Fullerton Red, I would totally understand. –– See my avatar.... ;-)

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

Izzat a YBA-1 I spy behind your Legacy!? OH MY, I'm a big fan of old Traynors, have had a few really great YBA-1s myself, a late '60s and a '71, miss both of them. . .which sort of points towards an answer to your question. I'm sick. Thats it. I've had a TON of fantastic guitars, way more than my income or skill level deserve. I call the Tele my #1, and it has been, but in a way, so are my other guitars, a '71 Yamaha SA-50C:

And a 1960 Duo-Sonic that needed to be re-hab'd a bit when I got it, but now wears a beautiful coat of ReRanch Shell Pink:

The Duo, I think, will be with me forever. Its a freakin pre-CBS Fender, for gosh-sake & there is a pretty good back story to it. The neck just FEELS like 50years of love & mojo & the pickups are some of the best I've ever heard. The Yamaha is another really special instrument & built to a standard I wasn't aware they Japanese had achieved so early. There are innovations out the wazoo & the pickups, again, are unique and incredible.

Soooooo, yes, the Tele would be difficult to replace, but my other two would be MORE difficult and so it goes. I'm in no position to acquire a new guitar w/o letting one go, so when this SC-1 popped up, I figured I had to make a sacrifice & jumped! I already miss the Tele, but I think I made the right choice. Gotta be adventurous with gear & I love an instrument that can force me to change it up in some meaningful way. I think the SC-1 fits that bill. I've had a MIJ Tele of some kind for a bunch of years now & I'm sure one will will have another. . .no fear there, way more than 250 fish in that sea!

:happy0007:

Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm

I love the Duo Sonic. I'm currently rehabbing a badly abused MIM Duo as a first guitar project with my son. The 22.5" scale will be great for him to learn on, and he's getting a very early lesson in why destructive modifications rarely turn out to be good ideas. Once we have this one back together and looking/playing nicely, I expect we will move on to resurrecting a 24" scale Duo Sonic from the ashes of a couple of parted-out guitars.

Ken

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 pm

The amp is, I believe a 1967 YGM-2, It has a separate spring reverb that sits on top of it. The transformer blew and took the tubes with it. I am debating whether I should get it repaired or simply go for something like a Fender Blues Jr. The reverb also needs a good overhaul but the tubes are still working, and I sometimes use it to warm up the sound when running amp sims.