Hi, Canadian w/ Legacy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi, I bought a G&L Legacy in 2008 and have become very attached to it. I formerly was more of a Gibson guy, but have since sold my 335 and only kept an LP, Epi Dot and my Legacy.

I've recently been souping it up - I added an Alembic Strat-o-blaster and custom hand-wound pickups and have ordered a Jake Blade (Umphrey's McGee) trem.

Here's a vid w/ it in action last year at a Phish tribute thing we were doing at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTwDhHrWHs

Anyways, I love these guitars, that's all I have to say. Cheers!

Re: Hi, Canadian w/ Legacy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 pm

weezy wrote:Hi, I bought a G&L Legacy in 2008 and have become very attached to it. I formerly was more of a Gibson guy, but have since sold my 335 and only kept an LP, Epi Dot and my Legacy.

I've recently been souping it up - I added an Alembic Strat-o-blaster and custom hand-wound pickups and have ordered a Jake Blade (Umphrey's McGee) trem.

Here's a vid w/ it in action last year at a Phish tribute thing we were doing at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTwDhHrWHs

Anyways, I love these guitars, that's all I have to say. Cheers!

Welcome! :wave:

Check out our Tutorials for posting photos and YouTube videos:

Tutorial: Posting photos

Tutorial: Posting YouTube videos

We have an unwritten rule that an instrument does not exist unless you post a photo of it. There are some
here that will require this proof. ;)

If you have not registered it in our G&L Registry, please do.

:sign0011:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

okeedokee... here's a picture I took today of my Legacy

Like I mentioned, it has an Alembic Strat-o-blaster installed - which is basically an active onboard boost. (There's a 9 volt battery behind it) It was a product created for Jerry Garcia in the late 70's.

and here's that video once again (all stock at the time)

[youtube]TgTwDhHrWHs[/youtube]

The thing I love most about this guitar is the neck. It is perfect in every way - like it was made for my hands alone...

Cheers to the community, I'm looking forward to clicking around the site!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 pm

The tortoise shell pick guard looks awesome on the glossy black body!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks, I think so too... now I just need to find some white knobs to match the pups and the look will be complete.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:34 am

Welcome and great looking Legacy. Does this boost all frequencies or is it a mid boost?-- Darwin

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 am

From their website:

Once installed, you operate the Blaster with a switch. When the Blaster is on, you get all the benefits of the field-effect transistor preamp like increased output and the ability to use the volume control on your guitar without it affecting the tone. Turn the Blaster off, and your guitar sounds exactly like it did originally. Located between the switch and the jack, a small screwdriver adjustable trim pot sets the gain.

Blaster Features include:

Gain adjustable from 3-14dB
Isolates capacitance of cable
Frequency response of guitar not affected by volume
Very low battery drain (~100µA)
Battery life ~10 months
Solid brass mounting plate

I like it because as a former Les Paul guy, this beefs up the output for me before it hits a pedal. I have the gain set around 75% which seems to be the sweet spot.