New to the Forum

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 pm

I just got my G&L Legacy yesterday. It is the first axe I;ve ever had with locking tuners. I have to say I am quite impressed with the quality of this G&L!

I know I have to post a pic or it didn't happen...Right? I'll give it my best shot.

I have a couple questions if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.
Can the date of the guitar be found anywhere other than unbolting the neck?
I have seen pics of the neck bolt plates with the G&L logo..Mine doesn't.
Is that only on certain models? Thanks!

Re: New to the Forum

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Welcome. I like that guitar shelving you have, very neat.

As far as I know all G&Ls have the logo on the neck plate, but I could be wrong. Can you post a picture of yours? If you bought the Legacy used it may have had an aftermarket one added.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 pm

rrider wrote:I have a couple questions if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.
Can the date of the guitar be found anywhere other than unbolting the neck?
I have seen pics of the neck bolt plates with the G&L logo..Mine doesn't.
Is that only on certain models?

Welcome rrider, and thanks for the pics! The back of the headstock S/N plate I think you are referring to is indeed only a recent addition. G&L started using those plates in February of 2011 with S/N CLF 061000. And starting from that date, they provide a spec sheet with the guitar which does contain a date when the guitar was set up. For more on this, see this New Serial Number Plates post. For older models, the only reliable way to assess the 'born on date' would be to inspect the neck heel and neck pocket of the body or, if available, a hang tag or Silver Certificate of Authenticity for the instruments released by the Custom Creations Department . Although, a search in the G&L Registry might give you a fair idea of the age if at least some neck and body dates have been entered for S/N's in the neighborhood of your Legacy. And in case it isn't, you can register your fabulous instrument too ;)

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. Nice cabinet you have for your cases!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 pm

rrider wrote:I have seen pics of the neck bolt plates with the G&L logo..Mine doesn't.
Is that only on certain models? Thanks!

What is the serial number? It might be one of the early 4-bolt models. When
G&L switched from 3-bolt to 4-bolt, the earliest guitars had plain, unstamped
neck plates, but soon the G&L logo was added. See the Knowledgebase,
General G&L Questions sub-forum: When and why did G&L switch to a four-bolt neck?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Welcome rrider, and thanks for the pics! The back of the headstock S/N plate I think you are referring to is indeed only a recent addition. G&L started using those plates in February of 2011 with S/N CLF 061000. Although, a search in the G&L Registry might give you a fair idea of the age if at least some neck and body dates have been entered for S/N's in the neighborhood of your Legacy. And in case it isn't, you can register your fabulous instrument too ;)

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. Nice cabinet you have for your cases![/quote

Thanks for the reply. I know about the new serial number plate. I was referring to the 4 bolt neck to body plate.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:50 pm

What is the serial number? It might be one of the early 4-bolt models. When
G&L switched from 3-bolt to 4-bolt, the earliest guitars had plain, unstamped
neck plates, but soon the G&L logo was added. See the Knowledgebase,
General G&L Questions sub-forum: When and why did G&L switch to a four-bolt neck?.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

The serial number is CLF57557. I just bought it Friday from a local G&L authorized dealer. It is brand new (still has the plastic on the pick guard) and the only USA model G&L in stock. I asked the salesman if it was a left over 2010, but he seemed certain it was a 2011. After reading some of the posts here, I have my doubts. Even if it is a 2010, shouldn't the 4 bolt plate have the logo on it?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 pm

rrider wrote:
The serial number is CLF57557. I just bought it Friday from a local G&L authorized dealer. It is brand new (still has the plastic on the pick guard) and the only USA model G&L in stock. I asked the salesman if it was a left over 2010, but he seemed certain it was a 2011. After reading some of the posts here, I have my doubts. Even if it is a 2010, shouldn't the 4 bolt plate have the logo on it?

Yes, the neckplate should have the G&L logo. I suggest you bring it back to the dealer and show them. They should be
able to get a proper completed neck plate from the factory.

Regarding the confusion on the when it was built, it's possible that the dealer ordered it in 2011 and the factory had one
on the shelf that matched what the dealer was ordering. It definitely was built before February 2011 because G&L went to a
new serial numbering system in Feb. 2011. See yowhatsshakin's post about the new serial number plates.

Hope this helps.