New member from Illinois

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 am

Hello all. New member here from Jacksonville, Illinois. Just bought my first G&L off ebay. A used tribute legacy. I believe it was made in Korea in 2003 after researching the serial number of 03092249 on this site. It has the big Tribute letters on the headstock. 3 tone sunburst and brown tortuse pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just a hobby type player for my own enjoyment/therapy. I'v played since high school but that was 30 years ago. Wasn't much good then and still not, but taking it up again and determined to be a better player. Like I said, I'm pretty happy with it but I think there might be an issue with the nut. The small E string seems to be cut to deep in the nut. Anyone know of a good luthier in the central Illinois area to have a good set-up done?

Chip

Re: New member from Illinois

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 am

fanman wrote:Hello all. New member here from Jacksonville, Illinois. Just bought my first G&L off ebay. A used tribute legacy. I believe it was made in Korea in 2003 after researching the serial number of 03092249 on this site. It has the big Tribute letters on the headstock. 3 tone sunburst and brown tortuse pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just a hobby type player for my own enjoyment/therapy. I'v played since high school but that was 30 years ago. Wasn't much good then and still not, but taking it up again and determined to be a better player. Like I said, I'm pretty happy with it but I think there might be an issue with the nut. The small E string seems to be cut to deep in the nut. Anyone know of a good luthier in the central Illinois area to have a good set-up done?

Chip

Welcome Chip! :greet:

Yes, your Tribute Legacy was made in September of 2003.
Can't help you on locating a good luthier in your area. Hopefully
another member in your neck of the woods can point you to one.

:sign0011:

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi Chip. Welcome.

My first G&L was also a September '03 Tribute, though it's an ASAT Special not a Legacy. It's an excellent guitar that I still play all the time. The only thing I don't like about it is the HORRIBLE black logo that G&L used back then. I don't know what they were thinking. IMO they should let owners of black label Tributes have a nice new Tribute label free, just for having to look at the black one for years. :lol:

If you're having work done on the nut I'd recommend getting a Graph Tech nut put in there. It works wonders in keeping a tremelo equipped guitar like your Legacy in tune.

Have fun with the new axe. :thumbup:

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Philby, the Graph Tech nut is noted and thanks for the recommendation.