Louisiana boy checking in

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Dang...I don't check in for a few weeks and ya'll go and change the place!
I like it. :happy0065:

For any new folks and for those that don't remember me....My name is Shawn (Shawn500)
I hail from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Been playing guitar since I was 12 or so (I'm 40 now)
I love my G&L's! I have a 1981 F-100, a 2002 S-500, and a 1993 (IIRC) L-2000.

I play guitar in a rockabilly band called The Bedlamville Triflers. I don't use any of my G&L's for that gig though, it's all Gretsch and Tele (although
an ASAT is probably in my future!)

Well, I like the new home. Great job guys.

Re: Louisiana boy checking in

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Glad to see ya checkin back in Shawn!

Gary G :sign0011:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Hey Gary...good to see ya!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey Shawn! Lemme know when the crawfish start to get cheap. They way too 'spensive in Jackson.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Kodor wrote:Hey Shawn! Lemme know when the crawfish start to get cheap. They way too 'spensive in Jackson.

I hear that! Anxiously waiting for that myself.
I'll keep an eye out for some deals.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 am

Still handsome as ever. Welcome to the new digs, Shawn!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:30 am

Darth Invader wrote:Still handsome as ever. Welcome to the new digs, Shawn!

HAHA thanks Dave....
..and man, that girl in your avatar! ME-OW!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:38 pm

HAHA thanks Dave....
..and man, that girl in your avatar! ME-OW![/quote]

That girl looks all of fourteen to me. Careful guys! ;+) - ed

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Shawn:

I'd love to know your set up for rockabilly. Guitar, pedals, amp. I don't play rockabilly but do cover a few songs like, I fought the Law, Folsom Prison Blues etc., which could use some rock a billy treatment.

Thanks,

Tom

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 pm

asphalt-abate wrote:Shawn:

I'd love to know your set up for rockabilly. Guitar, pedals, amp. I don't play rockabilly but do cover a few songs like, I fought the Law, Folsom Prison Blues etc., which could use some rock a billy treatment.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom.
We'll for my' billy gigs, I mainly use my 2003 Gretsch 6120. It has TV Jones Classic pickups, which I heartilly recommend.
For pedals, I use a Tim for overdrive, for delay, an Antech Echoluxe and an MXR Carbon Copy. I also use an EHX Pulsar for a few songs that require a trem.
I use a Reverend Kingsnake for an amp, it's based on the early Fender Bassman circuit, and is switchable from 20 to 60 watts.

Here's a few pics.....let me know if you have any other questions, I LOVE to talk gear..

..and here's me and the boys in action....

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 am

Two delays, hows that work? Are they used individualy for different situations. I currently have a digital delay, which I love. I'm not sure who made it because the guy I bought it from put velcro on the back but the model is, Inertstate 5. I don't think it has slap back though, which is maybe what I need. Currently I use it on selected songs to beef up my presence. For example, Honky Tonk Women, where the guitar stands out naked. It adds a real cool vibe to that song.

Thanks for your reply. Love the band photo. Tight and light. I bet you guys rock a wild house party. One of them big mansion you have down there!

Thanks,

Tom

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 am

Hey Tom...

The Echoluxe is my go to pedal for slapback. That quick 1 repeat echo to you hear on most rockabilly tracks, essentially the early Sun records Elvis sound.
The Carbon Copy is used on some of the more modern stuff we do. Yeah, I like being in a 3 piece, less drama, and wrangling, and the payout is better!
My buddy has one of those I-5 delays, it digital, but is "tuned" to sound analog. Should be able to get a decent slapback.

Here's a link to some videos of us our drummer has on his YouTube site. The quality's not that great on a lot of the videos, and it never fails, someone's always filming when my voice is shot, or I 'm having an off night guitarwise. :crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/headmahone

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 am

Shawn:

Thanks. Love the shot of the band. I'm curious though, why two delays?

Tom

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 am

asphalt-abate wrote:Shawn:

Thanks. Love the shot of the band. I'm curious though, why two delays?

Tom

See above.... :D

Actually, I also have the Carbon Copy for the longer delays it affords. I think the Echoluxe does 300ms, where the Carbon Copy can do 800ms (1sec..I can't remember)

I have other pedals on my board that don't get used for my rockabilly gigs, but I use often for other stuff.
I'd love to have a real deal tape echo for home use, but they're so impractical for live use. The Echoluxe does a great job of sounding like a tape echo.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:32 am

Shawn:
Sorry. I didn't mean to ask the same question twice. I didn't realize this site created multiple pages so after posting my first question about delays, I couldn't find it (it ended up on page 2) so I thought it was dropped and I posted a similar question again. Now I see that this site creates pages as the posts grow longer. Thanks for the replies. I dug your videos.

Tom

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 am

No prob man......
Always up for talking gear and rockabilly!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:21 pm

That band line up is effin' sweet. Power-trio, old school baby! Wish I could get my hands on an upright here in India.

Hey Shawn. Looks like all is well on your side of the planet.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Dempsey:

When I lived in Nepal I never saw an upright but I did buy a 6 string acoustic, which looked like a Gibson 335 without pickups, that was made in India. It wasn't a bad guitar, it was playable, tunable, sounded ok, had a cherry burst finish and it kept my fingers occupied for 2 years. I gave it to a Nepali friend when I left. I'm not sure if he ever learned to play it however. I dragged that thing from Kathmandu out to Darchula, Nepal which is across the Mahakali River from Darchula, India in Udder Pradesh. Where are you located?

Tom

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Dempsey wrote:That band line up is effin' sweet. Power-trio, old school baby! Wish I could get my hands on an upright here in India.

Hey Shawn. Looks like all is well on your side of the planet.

Hey Dempsey! How are you bro??
Yeah, everything's going well. :D
Yeah, Brian's upright is really sweet. I love playing with a upright bass, it just fills the low end so nicely. Greg (our drummer), just got that Gretsch set. It's a '56 or 57', old school thin 3 ply, and resonates all day long.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 am

asphalt-abate wrote:Dempsey:

When I lived in Nepal I never saw an upright but I did buy a 6 string acoustic, which looked like a Gibson 335 without pickups, that was made in India. It wasn't a bad guitar, it was playable, tunable, sounded ok, had a cherry burst finish and it kept my fingers occupied for 2 years. I gave it to a Nepali friend when I left. I'm not sure if he ever learned to play it however. I dragged that thing from Kathmandu out to Darchula, Nepal which is across the Mahakali River from Darchula, India in Udder Pradesh. Where are you located?

Tom

Is this the first thread hijack of the new board? Good thing it's on Shawn while he's in a good mood talking about his gear.

I'm guessing yours was a Givson. And that ain't no spelling error, that's the name of the Indian company (there's another, smaller company here called Fendar). Actually yours sounds a little high-end to be a Givson, but the do make all styles. I'm down here in Hyderabad. Total modern, city living.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 am

Dempsey wrote:
Is this the first thread hijack of the new board? Good thing it's on Shawn while he's in a good mood talking about his gear.

I'm guessing yours was a Givson. And that ain't no spelling error, that's the name of the Indian company (there's another, smaller company here called Fendar). Actually yours sounds a little high-end to be a Givson, but the do make all styles. I'm down here in Hyderabad. Total modern, city living.

I'm always in a mood to talk about gear! :sign0011:

I'm going to get me an upright at some point. You can get a decent one for under a grand, but for a really nice one you're talking some serious cheese here in the states.