My first GL is on the way...it's here now!!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 am

i've never tried one but i decided to enter the G&L stable when i found this one...
i have 3 Teles and 3 Strats and figure this should replace one of each...
it'll arrive in a few days....hoping she feels, plays, and sounds as nice as she looks...

Last edited by BadJaxx on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My first GL is on the way...

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:50 am

I have a classic S and you will love it. Beautiful guitar! -- Darwin

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Classic looks! Congrats and enjoy!

Let us know what you think wehen you've played it for a while and how it compares to your other guitars. oh, and don't forget to register.

- Jos

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 pm

just registered it...
the G&L website production runs for this guitar do not list any in this color...so i assume it is a One-Off or Custom Order...

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey Jaxx, welcome. I have a Classic S and love it, I'm sure that you'll like it.

There have been a few other production runs that aren't listed on the website. Your one looks like a '10 run. They made them in Spanish copper, Himalayan Blue and Blonde. I don't know the figures of how many, but it's almost certain to be 50 of one, 25 each of the others.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

ahhh...ok, thanks for that info...2010 makes sense as it was bought last year and i'll be 2nd owner...
i do love a dirty blonde... :evilgrin:

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 pm

BadJaxx wrote:just registered it...
the G&L website production runs for this guitar do not list any in this color...so i assume it is a One-Off or Custom Order...

In 2010 (not sure which month) G&L moved this model to standard production. See List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars.

I think yours is likely to be a standard production model.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 am

Craig wrote:In 2010 (not sure which month) G&L moved this model to standard production.

That's great news. It's a fantastic guitar that deserves to be available to anyone who wants one. Now all they need to add is an option for a factory Parsons-Green B-bender and you have the ULTIMATE tele ;)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 am

sure that's great news :happy0065: !!

oh and your classic s is beautiful

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 am

i figured i'd get some good info on it here....i searched thru G&L's website and only found the 2004 and 2007 stuff...
it's combination of features make it pretty unique among production guitars...
thanks for the replies guys...

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

What are the settings on the pick-up switch? Standard 5-way or something else?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm

CGT wrote:What are the settings on the pick-up switch? Standard 5-way or something else?

It's a standard 5-way pickup switch. The guitar also has the expander switch to get a total of 7 tone combinations.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:57 am

she arrived!!
looks better than i'd imagined and is totally mint...
it's not near as white as in the pic...but i love the color...just don't know what to call it...beautiful...
love the gun oil tint...
sounds great acoustically...can't wait to plug 'er in...
actually i plugged into the computer mic input with a real cheap cable and it sounds good but have to get home to really know...the middle S-500 pup sounds louder than the others...maybe just it's height...anyways, it sounds better than any other middle pup i've tried...
since i'd never tried a G&L and have finally learned what i like and don't like in necks, the neck was a concern...but not any longer...so far i love it...very comfy...
previous owner had used a felt scratch cover on the back and left it on there....cool...

niggles:

anybody install jackplates to reduce chance of scarring the body when plugging in a cable? i tend to be very careful with my guitars so it's no big deal, just curious about it...
a bit of gap in neck pocket but i see no movement so that doesn't matter either...
nice G&G case cept for the hard plastic handle...never liked those...

is it 4:30 yet?
i wanna go HOME!!!

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

yeah congrats !!
the MFD are a bit of an acquired taste IMO, but once you've found the right setting, and, most important, the way the MFD react to your playing and the rest of your rig, I will be hard to play others guitars :D

beware, they're VERY sensitive to : pickup height, picking dynamic (and material and type of pick too), and guitar vol + tone setting.
enjoy

Xavier

oh... and the color is blonde

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm

can't wait to get home and check out the tones and dynamics...and see what the MFDs are all about...
yeah i know it's blonde...but i meant a color to describe to a non-guitar person...like if it was a car...

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Congrats!! 'm sure you're excited! I was lucky...when my new G&L came in earlier this year, I happened to have the day off, so ran over, picked it up, then took it home and plugged it in!!

I, too, like the G&L necks. I've got two Legacies and then a Les Paul with the 50s neck, so whenever I pickup the LP, the neck feels huge! But I like that one, too!

Hope you like the S500 pickups.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm

ok...i've been home for a little over 2 hours...most of which were spent with my CLassic S...
the playability is great!
the S-500 pup in the middle position is the smoothest middle sc pup i've tried...all the others are on the harsh side...are all the S-500 pups smooth like that?
the MFD neck pup sounds pretty much like i imagined...also smooth but with bite when wanted...missing that Tele neck pup hollow metallic tone (cuz of no cover, i'm sure) but that's fine as i have that tone covered...
bridge pup sounds good so far...it's the only one i adjusted...lowered it slightly for smoother, deeper 2,4,6, and 7 positions...
it reminds me a lot of what i like most about my Baja Tele only i'd thot the Baja's neck would suit me better if it was a bit thinner and wider....like the Classic S is...:-)
i'm one of those who likes a gloss finish on back of neck AND a maple FB...glad this has it...do all Gun Oil Tinted necks have gloss finish FB?
at home, under regular light bulbs, the color is as in the pic, so it was the flourescent light at work that made it look so different....gorgeous either way :-)
it's strung with fresh Elixir Nanoweb Lights...never tried them so don't know how much they're affecting the tone...they do feel nice...
so now, i'm figuring i'd like the S-500 semihollow too...

here's some of those 'tone description words' that may help understand what i like...
smooth
deep
full
sweet
soulful
expressive

here's my current arsenal...

G&L Classic S
Gibson ES335
PRS SC245
PRS CE22
PRS EG
Dean Soltero SL
Fender AmDlx Strat, AmStd Strat, AmStd Tele, Baja Tele
CVC Tele
PRS Tremonti Se
PRS SE SC

i've had several other PRSi, Hamers, Gibbys, Deans, and others...
i now need to sell some...:-(

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:34 pm

BadJaxx wrote:i now need to sell some...:-(

I'll take that Classic S of your hands....

I hope you adjust to the MFDs. They are higher output than standard Tele pickups and do have more treble and bass. I found it hard to go back once I spent a good amount of time with them.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
BadJaxx wrote:i now need to sell some...:-(

I'll take that Classic S of your hands....

I hope you adjust to the MFDs. They are higher output than standard Tele pickups and do have more treble and bass. I found it hard to go back once I spent a good amount of time with them.

LOL...well, my Classic S is going NOWHERE...it's a Keeper For Life...and that's a rarity for me...
i completely overhauled my collection and the PRS CE22 is the only 1 i had this time last year...sold a bunch of great guitars to shake things up and find what truly works best for me...and i've finally been able to get into single coil guitars...i had only one a year ago, and sold it cuz it didn't work for me...i now have 7 that DO work for me, lol....don't wanna let any of them go, but i have to...
too bad i'm not married so i could just choose divorce instead...lol
i usually sell on TGP, sometimes on Dean and Hamer forums or ebay...should i list them on Marketplace here?...seems that it's just for G&Ls...

so far it seems i still like my other single coil guitars...

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:46 am

BadJaxx wrote:i usually sell on TGP, sometimes on Dean and Hamer forums or ebay...should i list them on Marketplace here?...seems that it's just for G&Ls...

You can list guitars of any brand in the Marketplace. The header says 'Private party guitars' after all ;) The only requirement is that you must have a G&L registered in the Registry. But I trust you took care of that with your beautiful Classic S.

BTW, I underwent a similar transformation going from buckers to single coil. Always thought I was an LP man. And even my first G&L was a Legacy Special which has Dual Blades and a Power Blade in it. But life has never been the same since I got my Butterscotch ASAT Classic. And like you I have a couple of PRS's to take care of the hog body/neck + buckers side of things, but I like my ASAT's the most.

- Jos