Better Late Than Never(?)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 am

Hey Everybody,

So, I did a week's time in the Weekly Lunch Report and quite enjoyed it.

As you may have surmised, I'm a guitar player (or at least I pretend). Currently I have two Heritages (Prospect "Blues Deluxe", basically the same as a CS-356 or a small ES-335 w/ a full center block on this one, and an H-150 which is pretty much a Les Paul), a Logan S-style Stratocopy (Swamp Ash w/ Maple neck), and a cheap Yamaha acoustic that sounds remarkably good to me. I also kind of miss my Hamer Studio that I sold after I got my H-150 and tend to gush over Hamers whenever given the opportunity. I play through a Marshall Vintage Modern and a Carvin half-stack, all through a Weber attenuator. Rarely use pedals. Gearwise, I'll eventually be getting an ASAT (sorry, no G&L's yet, although I do have an appreciation & respect for the company), and am talking over an HSH SuperStrat/PRS-y sort of build with Steve Benford. Most likely a Mahogany body & neck w/ a Quilted Maple cap, thinking ebony board, 25.5" scale, maaaaaaybe SS frets, split-block inlays, asymmetrical neck, in-a-series, out-of-phase, and coil-splitting options, and a set of Sheptone pickups I had made custom three or four years ago that I have not had time or money to do anything with yet. If this all sounds like a G&L Invader Plus, well, that was part of the inspiration along with the PRS 513.

Musically, I'm mainly interested in the vein of Rock, some Metal (Opeth, Megadeth, Isis), Post-Metal, Jazz, Folk, a bit of Classical, some but not a ton of Hip Hop, and pretty much anything that moves me.

Why I'm here? I've kind of wanted a G&L (actually two, an Invader and an ASAT, mainly an ASAT) for a while. I tend to shun the bigger guitar companies, but like the smaller, more "grounded", and less sue-happy corporations, so here I am. I fully intend to get an ASAT but, so I'll probably be reading up & asking about that primarily. The G-200 also looks interesting (and discontinued, whoops!).

I also have a young daughter, so I may bring her up, a wife who is ambivalent about guitars, an American Bulldog and cat who don't say too much, and a love of music that I'm always trying to feed.

Well, that's probably enough. Thanks for having me!

-Cheers

Re: Better Late Than Never(?)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Ahhh, the Marshall Vintage Modern. I had one of them and it was a GREAT amp. When it worked, which on my particular one wasn't very often! Still, I could get any of the best recorded guitar sounds of the last 50 years out of it. I wish I didn't sell it!

I'm an Opeth and Megadeth fan, though I don't play metal these days. I saw them both live a couple of years ago, both great shows.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Just wanted to say a belated "welcome" and remark that I think you did a great job this week. Thanks for stepping up! I can't remember the last time our Lunch Reporter was someone who never owned a G&L guitar before. Regardless, you are clearly on the right track and have lots of guitar goodness to look forward to. Glad you found this place. - ed

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 am

zapcosongs wrote:Just wanted to say a belated "welcome" and remark that I think you did a great job this week. Thanks for stepping up! I can't remember the last time our Lunch Reporter was someone who never owned a G&L guitar before. Regardless, you are clearly on the right track and have lots of guitar goodness to look forward to. Glad you found this place. - ed

Hey thanks! I've had an interest for quite a while. Thank you Jerry Cantrell!

To be honest I almost felt a bit like a hack (i.e. here's your Weekly Lunch Reporter who hasn't even bothered to get a G&L guitar yet), but I've been a longstanding sideline fan and really think companies like Heritage and G&L are fascinating and (alongside other quality smaller-scale builders) deserve respect & support, yet get overshadowed by the OTHER companies they are somehow associated with or compared to. My interest in the company, and desire to have one, is genuine. I also tried to keep it somewhat relevant and interesting, so here's to hoping I did alright. I'd love to do it again sometime, it was fun. To anybody asked that is considering it, I highly recommend it.

I DO think I will end up with an ASAT or BluesBoy. The ASAT/Tele platform is an interesting one, and kind of like gravity it seems to draw most to it eventually. I'll probably have my HSH PRS-y SuperStrat build before I get an ASAT though. I've had them dadburn pickups for three years, might as well do SOMETHING with them. Maybe I can talk my wife into one for my birthday or Christmas. Or maybe one falls into my lap sooner and I go the whole "ask for forgiveness and not permission" route. We DID get a decent tax return, and like an idiot I'm always window shipping, so we'll see.

-Cheers